cuz on the couch | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

cuz on the couch

We have heard so little of Cuzz that you start to believe everything that Caro and Hutchy say and write. Gotta say I thoroughly enjoyed listening to him and could only imagine how much the young fellas at the club would enjoy listening to him talk footy.

Handled himself with aplomb but I think that many will still think he is an arrogant little so and so.

Hopefully he can go on next year.

mike, gerard and bt did their research and asked good questions. i thought cuz was very diplomatic and honest but gave back as much as he got. he's a cheeky one that cuz

Ghost of 29 said:
We have heard so little of Cuzz that you start to believe everything that Caro and Hutchy say and write. Gotta say I thoroughly enjoyed listening to him and could only imagine how much the young fellas at the club would enjoy listening to him talk footy.

Handled himself with aplomb but I think that many will still think he is an arrogant little so and so.

Hopefully he can go on next year.

Me too, he has 14 more weeks to prove himself, sadly I don't think his body can take it anymore. Prove me wrong Cuz! :clap

Most comments have been made already.

- appeared honest and open
- puffy eyes were a fraction disconcerting (e.g. looked like eyes after a hard night on the turps)
- he did NOT say he was "on the gear" when he shaved his head
- he denied it was to stick it up the authorities
- he felt that the AFL was out to get him at that time, and that he didn't trust the system/those responsible at the time
- openly admitted that that could be/was seen in bad light in hindsight
- seems openly surprised that everyone is talking about his demise
- felt he came good through last year
- expects to do same this year
- expects that that will hold him in good stead for a contract extension
- made a strong point about his on-field leadership role
- almost as if he plays a coaching/mentoring role on the field
- was very genuinely grateful to the Tigers
- wants to stay in Melbourne
- wants sports journalists to play the ball not the man
- wants them to do their research
- was on holidays with girlfriend (and two kids!!) and parents when drug rumours rose this year
- was genuinely sick in stomach (was a little evasive on that one)
- seemed to admit that he should have hit Conners an hour earlier (in jest?)
- said that Conners will be an excellent player/person (implied the event was a turning point)
- throughout interview emphasised that team was very very young
- questions were fair
- not too much about Richmond - was mostly about Cuz
- thanked the club - in particular Cameron/Gale and the PR person (having to put up with the distractions)
- spoke often about addictions and his 'ongoing' battle
- admits he likes an ale - that it can bring out a dark side - but 'no' he doesn't have a "problem"
- was asked about drugs in AFL
- said it was far less a problem than in general community
- did not believe rec drugs enhanced performance
- said it did not tarnish the Weagles GF
- in no way was he envious/remorseful that he lost Weagles captaincy
- he regretted the double life he lived behind Worsfield

....... that's about all I can remember

Most of what he had to say was well done and well prepared. Good on him. I certainly hope he can get his body in good enough nick to play more regularly in 2010 ... and perhaps even beyond.

But seriously, some people here see/hear only what they want to. How is it that any of us are able to judge whether Cuz was honest or not. If you ask me, his responses about ..
1) Showing up out of shape and somewhat relapsed at the start of pre-season,
and
2) Why he shaved his head when he knew he had a drug test to take
... both smacked of dishonesty. I didn't believe a word of any of his responses in this regard.

I find it laughable that there are those adamant that Wayne Campbell (a club captain and club champion) should be replaced by this bloke, based on this interview. Try to remember, it takes some pretty stupid decisions to get into a position where you have to "overcome" stuff.

Cuz in my books as long as you keep giving the boys tuition in football and life, your life at the RFC will be welcomed and extended on those merits.
..............LMAO @ telling goggles to try drugs!!

The 3 of them let loose on Ben, asking him in depth questions and also brought up alot of the past at west coast, but Ben just sat there answering them with honestly and high amount of integrity.
Mike pushed the questions, about a druggie always a druggie, and Ben just sat there answered every thing that was thrown at him.
He asked if he went on a bender at Xmas time, Ben answered NO
He asked if drugs were ripe through the AFL, Ben answered No
He asked if his stomach problem was drug related, Ben answered No
He asked if he enjoyed his football, Ben answered overwhelming " loved playing at Richmond, with the raw talent coming through"

Basically this guy was star footballer, he speaks with conviction and positive out look,
He must be considered after retirement to become a member of the coaching/development team. *smile* of Campbell and keep BEN

Barnzy said:
Don't think Cousins should play on but would love to see him become our midfield coach in 2011. Doesn't sound like he wants to leave Melbourne anytime soon and wants to help Richmond out whether on-field or in other roles around the club. Out Campbell in Cousins, make it happen Gale.

:clap
The players will learn 10 times more playing another season alongside him than with him coaching. We're going to be so desperate for senior bodies, if his is up to it it's a no-brainer.

thegdog said:
Even admitted shaved his head because was still on the gear.

he never admitted such a thing. he stated that he shaved his head because he felt that the AFL were out to get him and he didnt fully trust the process of the testing. there is obviously more to it but he didnt at any stage say he was still on the gear.

hopper said:
But seriously, some people here see/hear only what they want to. How is it that any of us are able to judge whether Cuz was honest or not. If you ask me, his responses about ..
1) Showing up out of shape and somewhat relapsed at the start of pre-season,
and
2) Why he shaved his head when he knew he had a drug test to take
... both smacked of dishonesty. I didn't believe a word of any of his responses in this regard.

So you contradict yourself then. How do YOU know it was dishonest?

SkunkDen said:
he never admitted such a thing. he stated that he shaved his head because he felt that the AFL were out to get him and he didnt fully trust the process of the testing. there is obviously more to it but he didnt at any stage say he was still on the gear.

He didn't admit to it fully, however they did ask him if he was worried about failing the test and he said something along the lines of "there was nothing on the hair that was left". Which could suggest that there could have been if he left his hair long. That was the immediate impression I got anyway.

I definitely enjoyed his candid approach, and got the impression that he's an extremely intelligent person, who just happened to be overwhelmed by a desire to use recreational drugs.

I love how he told Mike to take some drugs, so he knows what it's like to be on them. Made Mike laugh too! haha

Ben should be applauded for the way he handled himself, didn't dodge any questions and answered them like a bloke saying "I know i have stuffed up in the past and hurt alot of people, I'm doing my best and to all those people that have helped, Thank You"

I totally agree with Barnzy, Healy has always acted like is better than the next person and the way he treated Gale in that interview was disgusting. I think Gale could feel it too and might have words shortly after, i still regret holding my old man back from belting the imbecile a few years back... :(

thejinx said:
He didn't admit to it fully, however they did ask him if he was worried about failing the test and he said something along the lines of "there was nothing on the hair that was left". Which could suggest that there could have been if he left his hair long. That was the immediate impression I got anyway.

I love how he told Mike to take some drugs, so he knows what it's like to be on them. Made Mike laugh too! haha

well ya gotta take it for what it is, he says he didnt trust that he wasnt gonna be setup and that he felt the afl were out to get him. shave his head or not shave his head, he never admitted to being on the gear when that time came around.

loved it how he told mike to try some drugs so he knows what its like. IMO he should try some, would give him a better prospective on how not to be such an old stiff who persists on trying to rattle-the-cage of every young guy playing AFL.

Video of Cuz on the couch tonight.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/shows/onthecouch

ARCHYBOY said:
Ben should be applauded for the way he handled himself, didn't dodge any questions and answered them like a bloke saying "I know i have stuffed up in the past and hurt alot of people, I'm doing my best and to all those people that have helped, Thank You"

I totally agree with Barnzy, Healy has always acted like is better than the next person and the way he treated Gale in that interview was disgusting. I think Gale could feel it too and might have words shortly after, i still regret holding my old man back from belting the imbecile a few years back... :(
Ben's been dodging questions for years. He bloody swam across rivers to avoid answering questions. How hard is it to do a mea culpa for the tenth time with the cat well and truly out of the bag. Faint praise at best here for Ben.

Didn’t see the Healy interview with Gale but don’t agree that Healy has the Tigers in the gun. Actually in his commentary on games I’ve seen this year he generally tries to pump-up their tires while still acknowledging the diabolical state we are in. Drrrrrwyane Russell on the other hand loves a bit a Tiger (supporter) baiting. A complete moron of the highest order.