Cricket | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Cricket

The Poms are also showing that you have to use your feet and attack the spinners in India. You can't just sit back in your crease hoping for a short one and sweeping everything else. The best Aussie players of spin - Border, Clarke, Mark Waugh, Lehmann - all got down the track. Even Hayden, who swept a lot and very successfully, used his feet. So did Damien Martyn in his brilliant 2004 series. The bonus is you create short balls as the spinners draw their length back.

Jadeja and Axar are not big spinners of the ball, and half-volleys don't spin. Make as many half-volleys as you can is the way to bat against spin. Ashwin is an offie so unless you're a left-hander he's not going to spin one past you. Use your feet, Australia.

Last edited:
Probably right. But has Green earnt his spot? I'm a massive Green fan and generational talent must be played but he is battling.

Stronger selectors may have picked the best team, not the best potential team.

Ultimately Steve Smith in serious decline shouldn't be opening.
Smith might be in serious decline, or he might be in the midst of having to adjust his game once the brilliance of youth has faded. Many a batsman has done so before.

Picking Green and batting him at 4 is good for his development. He's the future. Are we treating this series as a developmental one because of that? Maybe. Is that wrong? Not in my O. Green's Shield record is better than Bancroft's or any other candidate's. He's not going to improve there.

Although, if, as you say, Head is our most important batsman he should move up to no.4.

Last edited:
Good to see India finally show the courage and sportsmanship to produce a pitch that's not a crumbling bunsen burner from day 1. They normally only do that against us when they need a draw to seal the series and boost their batting averages.

Another silly rule when the batsman (batswoman in this case) hits the ball on the non-striker's stumps and the non-striker, outside the crease, goes out as 'run out'.

Smith might be in serious decline, or he might be in the midst of having to adjust his game once the brilliance of youth has faded. Many a batsman has done so before.

Picking Green and batting him at 4 is good for his development. He's the future. Are we treating this series as a developmental one because of that? Maybe. Is that wrong? Not in my O. Green's Shield record is better than Bancroft's or any other candidate's. He's not going to improve there.

Although, if, as you say, Head is our most important batsman he should move up to no.4.
All good points. Green looked very shaky again last night. But he is the future.

Nice to see him bowling at mid 140's again too!

Smith will probably prove me wrong too.

Reactions: 1 users
Has been peeing down in Brisbane, going by the radar the worst might have passed.
Have really enjoyed watching the young West Indians, hopefully play can start on time and rain doesn't spoil what has been a good test match.

Reactions: 1 user
Watching India v England is like watching Carlton v Collingwood: you want them both to lose.

Reactions: 2 users
Wow. S Joseph 6 for. Could be a good win and hopefully a rebuild of the Windies.

Reactions: 1 users
Samar Joseph's performance with the ball today after copping that sandshoe crusher last night is one the best, and gutsiest things I've seen in test cricket. He's in obvious pain and has bowled 8 overs on the trot in the heat and humidity.

I dips me lid.

Reactions: 5 users