Cricket | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Cricket

Does Wanker Whateley have to commentate every sport in town?
I haven't listened to him in any form of broadcast since the AFL season ended.

Watch the Fox coverage of cricket, whilst Howie is annoying and Gilly is pretty boring in general it is an enjoyable experience. Mark Waugh and Michael Vaughn the standouts. Like Harsha and Wasim as well.

Avoiding kermit is very good for my mental health, hard to do in AFL season

Reactions: 5 users
Kudos to the Pakistanis, they have shown an ability to fight back a number of times in this test. Just need some more consistency. Also lost some players on this tour so fighting on well.

If everything dries out a bit and we lose the humidity they're a chance, could be an exciting end to what has been an intriguing test.

DS
Agree, they are a very likeable bunch. And talented. This has been a very good match. The pitch has helped greatly, perhaps the best Test wicket of the year for mine. Kudos to the curator.

Hoping they can make a good fist of the chase.

Reactions: 3 users
Not a great post Leysy. The hyperbole is not justified.
Smith had plenty of opportunities to score. Not blazing cuts or drives but he couldn’t hit the ball off the square and when he did he continually just hit the ball the fielders when he should have been looking for singles. There was no scoring intent.
He has no fluency at the moment and his reactions to getting out show a player who is too intent on not getting out rather than gathering runs with nudges and pushes that he used to be so good at.
It’s an opinion and doesn’t deserve a statement such as “ridiculous”. Happy to hear your opinion do you want I give it without the denigration of views.
He played an important role supporting Marsh but as soon as he got out Smith had an out of form partner and he looked to me that he just stopped looking for runs. He was 49 off 142 when Marsh was out, 1 run in his last 34 balls after that.
Inclined to agree Sin. Leysy gone a bit over the top, I assumed Smith must have been a tasaweigan!!

Smith should have been caught behind early in his innings. He was lucky with a review in the first innings. Is getting hit on the pads a stack more often. In reality Is a shadow of the great player he was. It's almost like he has too many thoughts in his head. He was purely instinctive but now looks like he is thinking too much. That dismissal looked like a tail ender scared of the short ball. If I was bowling to him it would be relentless chin music, he clearly has lost his edge to the short stuff.

He is averaging 42 in 2023. 6 x 50's in his last 24 innings. He's back to being human. Doubt he ever get's near his previous form.

That completes a pretty horrible couple of days for Shafique....

I haven't listened to him in any form of broadcast since the AFL season ended.

Watch the Fox coverage of cricket, whilst Howie is annoying and Gilly is pretty boring in general it is an enjoyable experience. Mark Waugh and Michael Vaughn the standouts. Like Harsha and Wasim as well.

Avoiding kermit is very good for my mental health, hard to do in AFL season
Ish Guha is good, too. Kerry provides good colour.

Reactions: 2 users
Inclined to agree Sin. Leysy gone a bit over the top, I assumed Smith must have been a tasaweigan!!

Smith should have been caught behind early in his innings. He was lucky with a review in the first innings. Is getting hit on the pads a stack more often. In reality Is a shadow of the great player he was. It's almost like he has too many thoughts in his head. He was purely instinctive but now looks like he is thinking too much. That dismissal looked like a tail ender scared of the short ball. If I was bowling to him it would be relentless chin music, he clearly has lost his edge to the short stuff.

He is averaging 42 in 2023. 6 x 50's in his last 24 innings. He's back to being human. Doubt he ever get's near his previous form.
Agree. Not saying he isn't worth his spot in the test team (I wouldn't pick him for any white ball cricket) but he is definitely not the player he was and to me he looks like someone who can't understand why he isn't.

Not sure 3 year average is valid, whats Smith's average his year?
That's the more appropriate. To the eye he doesn't look like the impenetrable force he was. He is getting hit on the pads in front of the stumps a hell of a lot more. And he is visibly more frustrated.

Reactions: 2 users
Looking forward to the battle between Lyon and the batters, Pakistan's have always been good players of spin.

That's the more appropriate. To the eye he doesn't look like the impenetrable force he was. He is getting hit on the pads in front of the stumps a hell of a lot more. And he is visibly more frustrated.
Tend to agree, not the dominant force he was for a long time, does look frustrated, and can't get off strike.
Was good support for Marsh, but other than that ordinary.

Agree, they are a very likeable bunch. And talented. This has been a very good match. The pitch has helped greatly, perhaps the best Test wicket of the year for mine. Kudos to the curator.

Hoping they can make a good fist of the chase.
Yep. It's been a very good match.

Reactions: 1 user
Not a great post Leysy. The hyperbole is not justified.
Smith had plenty of opportunities to score. Not blazing cuts or drives but he couldn’t hit the ball off the square and when he did he continually just hit the ball the fielders when he should have been looking for singles. There was no scoring intent.
He has no fluency at the moment and his reactions to getting out show a player who is too intent on not getting out rather than gathering runs with nudges and pushes that he used to be so good at.
It’s an opinion and doesn’t deserve a statement such as “ridiculous”. Happy to hear your opinion do you want I give it without the denigration of views.
He played an important role supporting Marsh but as soon as he got out Smith had an out of form partner and he looked to me that he just stopped looking for runs. He was 49 off 142 when Marsh was out, 1 run in his last 34 balls after that.

The comment "I don't know what is wrong with Smith" is what Leysy thinks what was a bit ridiculous. It is like he isn't pulling his weight and has no idea what he's doing.

He second top scored in a tough situation where every run counted.

It was tough batting against good bowling. Smith isn't the player he was as his eye just isn't the same.

Like a lot of great players, when that starts going they make up for it in other ways.

He is comfortably our best player when the going is tough. Why - he reads the conditions and adapts his game better than anyone else.

Take yesterday. The match situation and conditions meant he never drove on the up, no extravavent cuts/pulls. Leave everything possible, play with a short backlift, value your wicket and work the ball. Test match batting.

On another day, he would play completely different. His teammates could learn a lot.

Champion who has averaged 53, 58 and 42 in the past 3 years. Still the most prized wicket for anyone playing Australia.

Reactions: 1 user