Cricket | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Cricket

It was pretty ordinary. He was ready to face the bowling and put his helmet on and the strap broke so had to call for a new one.
I think this one is way worse than the Bairstow one which in the end was about a player being out of his crease.
It's the same thing to me. It's a cricket rule, in the end the opposition has a choice whether to take a wicket that way.

I’m not as vigilant a cricket watcher as I was in my youth, so tend to miss quite a few of the new kids on the block and up and comers, until a tournament like the World Cup is broadcast.

Got to say, I’m really impressed by Sri Lankan left arm quick, Dishlan Madushanka. Really enjoy watching him bowl. Quite a highlights reel.

Reactions: 1 users
It's the same thing to me. It's a cricket rule, in the end the opposition has a choice whether to take a wicket that way.
This is the bizarre thing about cricket. There's the rules of the game, and the subjective so called "spirit of the game".

So you legally dismiss a batsman, but you then have to check if the dismissal is within the "spirit of the game". If the dismissal is deemed not in the spirit of the game by the opposition, you are then labelled as cheats, even though the dismissal was legal??

What other sport/game has rules which can be usurped by an unwritten "spirit of the game"?

Sprit of the game is an absolute nonsense in modern cricket. Besides, it died with Bodyline.

Play hard and to the laws of cricket. If it's out, it's out ...end of story.

Australia show some common sense dropping smith from the one day team.

Now we need to keep going and drop Starc as well. His bowling has been garbage at this World Cup.

Reactions: 1 user
Isn't Smith out as he has vertigo?
Has he? The quote I saw was that Cummins said he was struggling so misses out? I assumed on form but maybe was health.

One of he and Marnus needs to be dropped for us to win the whole thing . 50 over cricket is more like 20/20 these days and we can’t afford both of them in the team imo.

It was pretty ordinary. He was ready to face the bowling and put his helmet on and the strap broke so had to call for a new one.
I think this one is way worse than the Bairstow one which in the end was about a player being out of his crease.

I didn't see the incident and assumed he had not made it to the crease. If he was in his crease and had an equipment failure then I would have thought the 2 minutes becomes irrelevant as he was ready to face the ball but couldn't because of the equipment failure, same thing would apply 10 balls into his innings, he should have the right to get the helmet replaced.

Bit weird really.

DS

I didn't see the incident and assumed he had not made it to the crease. If he was in his crease and had an equipment failure then I would have thought the 2 minutes becomes irrelevant as he was ready to face the ball but couldn't because of the equipment failure, same thing would apply 10 balls into his innings, he should have the right to get the helmet replaced.

Bit weird really.

DS
I didn’t follow it that closely at the time but I think the commentators said, when he got to the crease he didn’t take guard, then noticed his helmet was faulty then indicated to the dressing room to bring out a replacement. They said what he should have done was take guard then signal to the umpire about his helmet.
I think that’s what they said anyway, it was late in the night for me :)

You must be kidding, Streak. Starc would be in Australia's all-time ODI XI. He gets wickets. Almost every time.
Nah, I'm with Streak on this. Sure, Starc can/will take some vital wickets but far fewer than early in his career - probably for several reasons. But I just can't believe how his control is still so erratic and unreliable. So many balls down leg still, or way outside off. These balls can rarely ever take wickets and are generally wides.
Notwithstanding his performance against the Poms was a better performance than his usual in terms of control/tightness, but don't forget the 5 wides he dished up immediately in the crucial final over against the Kiwis (I think it was). Luckily we got away with it that time but it was just woeful bowling for a player of his experience at a crucial time for his side. But, overall, one of his better efforts in recent times in Poms win with 2 wickets but note worst economy rate of 6.6 from 10 overs bowlers (Stoinis worse but only allowed 4 ov!)

But he's reverted to type again this game against Afghans - one over bowled 4 wides I think. Overall figures 6 Overs/39/0 w/ Eco 6.32 (our worst).

Ha! Just as I type he's bowled their captain with a top yorker for 26.
But the fact he takes an occasional (these days) good wicket doesn't really excuse his far-too-often wayward bowling. So you don't expect a highly experienced bowler in an Australian team TO TAKE wickets? How is bowling tightly and with greater control incompatible with that really?

Besides, often tight bowling creates wickets in itself, especially in short form. Other bowlers do this - keep it tight AND take wickets. See Cummins.
(And just got smashed for 6 by new batter 1st ball too. Ha!)

This is the bizarre thing about cricket. There's the rules of the game, and the subjective so called "spirit of the game".

So you legally dismiss a batsman, but you then have to check if the dismissal is within the "spirit of the game". If the dismissal is deemed not in the spirit of the game by the opposition, you are then labelled as cheats, even though the dismissal was legal??

What other sport/game has rules which can be usurped by an unwritten "spirit of the game"?

Sprit of the game is an absolute nonsense in modern cricket. Besides, it died with Bodyline.

Play hard and to the laws of cricket. If it's out, it's out ...end of story.
Yes, you make a really valid point and I agree. But this one is so odd because it didn't even happen on field, nor involve a bat/ball or bowler. He was given out for being off the field for over the 2 minute limit. Despite having already entered the field of play on time. I just think it's down to a dumb rule i.e.
- why do they allow way beyond 5/10 minutes for when a batsman gets struck in the helmet? Well,firstly, because the batsman must be tested for concussion protocols etc. Secondly, the helmet usually must be replaced. It's not always easy to have the appropriate size/fitting helmet for every given batsman I presume, because this often takes a while too, even if the batsman is adjudged fit to contine. In summary, the answer here is for SAFETY.

So my questions are:
- Why isn't SAFETY given the same precedence in this instance? So the umps could over-rule the BD appeal.
- Also, why did Matthews decide he had to leave the field to obtain another helmet? Why did he not just wait for runners to bring another out as per usual in the above case? (difficult head to fit or what?) It seems strange.
- If he was taking too long, why didn't SL just send in the next batsman ready to go? No-one taking note of the time? Probably no-one thought BD would actually seek to appeal in the circumstances. But I think they were within their rights, Nico, as you point out. They are playing highly competitive international sport, which is pretty ruthless. So SL were naive IMO, and deserve to take their share of the blame.

Overall, a really silly incident for the game because SAFETY should over-rule pedantic rules.

But, certainly no love lost between these two countries ... and that's most likely to continue.

Good contest in the offing. Australia requiring 292 after Afghanistan won the toss & knocked up 5/291.
Agreed and feel nervous that we might stuff up this game/chase. However, goes too late. It's hard to stay up for a few more hours and not be useless the next day.
So heading to bed hoping to wake up to (surprisingly) good news tomorrow. :)

I was going to go to bed. I was in bed. Australia was 7/91 and then Maxi was given out LBW. I was turning it off. He reviewed it but was walking off. Pitched in line, hit in line, going over.

Ok, I thought. I'll keep watching while Maxi's in. And witnessed the most incredible innings I've ever seen. 201* off 128 balls while Cummins made 12* off 68 up the other end. They put on 202. He couldn't move for cramping for the second 100. Would smash it to the man on the boundary and say no because he couldn't move. So he just hit 4s and 6s - something like 21 4s and 11 6s. He came in at 4/49 (on a hattrick!) chasing 291 and made 201 out of 244. While paralysed.

Back to number 7 for you, Maxi. We can't have that.

Good thing I have the day off tomorrow or I would have missed it.

Unbelievable. Incredible. Stan McCabe-esque stuff. With a heaping of Dean Jones.

Imagine if the dipshits in charge of Australian cricket had backed him in as Test No.6 like they should have after that ton in India. Imagine if McCullum had been his coach instead of that sh!teating nerd Langer.

Afghanistan are coming. They can play.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
Got up for a twinkle and looked at the scores 7-213.
Then went back to sleep.
Maxi was 123, so he scored 78 of the last 80 !

That was quite the show by Maxi.

Spook and I have been pushing for him to be in test side for years.

He has been treated disgracefully, Langer asked him not to play county cricket quite a few years ago because there was an upcoming Australia-A tour followed by a test series. So what happened…..he wasn’t selected in either squads.

Maxwell is, and always has been just what test cricket needs.

Reactions: 4 users