Cricket | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Cricket

For stokes to say that’s not how he would want to win a match, well, I don’t recall him going up to bairstow when he tried the same thing earlier in the game and say “ mate, don’t do that again”
For those defending mccullum doing it years ago but now he’s saying it’s wrong, by saying he’s changed, let’s give Carey the same benefit and ask him in 10-15 years time if he thinks it’s wrong.
What I will find interesting for the remainder of the series, is if something that is “ against the spirit of the game” happens that benefits the poms, will they “do the right thing” and reverse the decision because “ it’s the right thing to do” or be hypocrites and let the decision stand because it’s in the rules?
Yeah Baz couldve said sonething at the end of day 3.

I guess England are upset because the umpire was dozy too, moving to hand the cap back to the bowler.
Theres room for agrievance there.
But Carey threw the ball immediately. Tye ball was always in play.

I reckon if this thread is a true indication of what is being spoken about more widely, the English have achieved their aim.
Rather than the commentary being on the 2-0 scoreline it is all about the stumping, and mostly about Englands reaction to the stumping.

Reactions: 2 users
I reckon if this thread is a true indication of what is being spoken about more widely, the English have achieved their aim.
Rather than the commentary being on the 2-0 scoreline it is all about the stumping, and mostly about Englands reaction to the stumping.
True. Its like the media conundrum over Trump, ignore or report. If a powerful, high profile party makes outrageous statements that ignore facts, historical convention, do you challenge them on it or ignore it?

The echos of Trump are strong, 'I would never do that', 'thats the worst thing thats ever happened', 'worst thing that anyone has ever done', 'this is what i would have done', etc etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
True. Its like the media conundrum over Trump, ignore or report. If a powerful, high profile party makes outrageous statements that ignore facts, historical convention, do you challenge them on it or ignore it?
The other thing the English team has managed to do is turn the conversation to the Aussies won by cheating, as if Bairstow would have led the English to a successful chase of 370.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Wood comes into the side, with his pace he'll really go after the Aussie batsmen, especially with the short stuff to Smith and Head. A bit surprised that Tongue got dropped, I'd have kept him in and got rid of Robinson.
There's talk that Marsh might come in for Green, been a long time since Marsh has played any red-ball cricket, Green has been underwhelming though. Boland being mentioned as coming in for Hazelwood.

Looking forward to this test, the crowd are going to be feral.

Reactions: 1 users
The other thing the English team has managed to do is turn the conversation to the Aussies won by cheating, as if Bairstow would have led the English to a successful chase of 370.
Yeah, they tried hard to frame it that way, that it was THE moment when the test was won or lost, but I don't think they pulled it off outside of the hardcore support.

Will say though, there is no way Stuart Broad should ever have walked when he hit it to slip.

Most players would/should do the same. Taking the current England stance out of it. Nothing wrong with it.
Yeah, just major incompetence from Aleem Dar.

Yeah, the Poms have set themselves as the arbiters of The Spirit Of The Game. Will they now not appeal for lbws clearly missing or “nicks” that never hit the bat?
Broad once appealed for LBW for a ball that hit nothing but bat:

• Haha
Wood comes into the side, with his pace he'll really go after the Aussie batsmen, especially with the short stuff to Smith and Head. A bit surprised that Tongue got dropped, I'd have kept him in and got rid of Robinson.
There's talk that Marsh might come in for Green, been a long time since Marsh has played any red-ball cricket, Green has been underwhelming though. Boland being mentioned as coming in for Hazelwood.

Boland for Hazlewood is spot on.

And I would love for the Poms to bring genuine pace in. Our batsmen love it. Ussie will eat that for breakfast.

We can be pretty feral. Eng first innings first test Gabba 2013-14 Ashes, they were favourites until Mitch Johnson entered the fray. I was there, a truly great day, crowd went mental. And Trott went home with mental health problems, and I don't blame him.

Is Gary Gilmour available? Or they could roll the coach out...
Gimoure is no longer on this mortal coil, the poor fellow died way too young having suffered a lot before passing. I was a fan of coach McDonald, a shame he didn't play more test cricket, didn't Morne Morkel gave him a baptism of fire for his test debut, knocked his helmet off from memory.

Gimoure is no longer on this mortal coil, the poor fellow died way too young having suffered a lot before passing. I was a fan of coach McDonald, a shame he didn't play more test cricket, didn't Morne Morkel gave him a baptism of fire for his test debut, knocked his helmet off from memory.
I'd still pick Gus ahead of Mitch.

Ronny would have played a lot of Test cricket if he was an Englishman in the 90s. Or a New Zealander, ever.

Yeah if Green misses, I'd rather Neser.

You are not seriously comparing this to what Carey did?

Yet to see a legitimate comparison.
Why can you not get it into your head!? Stumped is stumped! There are numerous similar precedents all over the follow-up media but how exact do you need them to be to satisfy your inane fixation. Does it have to be a player in exact same outfit, with Johnny's hair or build? Last ball of an over? Would have happened somewhere, sometime, because, as Cummins said in his latest interview, it's a common occurrence at all levels of cricket.

Stumped is stumped. It's the MCC rules, as determined by the 3rd Umpire adjudication. Same, but a lot more common and acceptable, than the very odd over-rule of Starc's catch.

Go read about WG Grace in the actual inaugural Ashes test with sneaky stumping of Jones. That was far more dubious but, as always, the Aussies followed the rulings ... didn't create an abusive, threatening riot where Smith's mother and an 11 y.o. boy were intimidated by the "sporting" crowd that quickly became thug-like.

Just need to read Simon Taufel's take on this to know what is & isn't correct. He's a very much respected cricket umpire who's umpired more than 70 Tests, has been named the ICC Umpire of the Year many times & is a Current Member of the MCC Rules Committee.

He also notes that Bairstow himself has kept very quiet since his dismissal.

Ponting has also called out Ben Stokes for his stand on the "Spirit of The Game" argument.

Both articles are well worth a read.