Cricket | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Cricket

Just watched Joe Root interviewed in lead up for the 3rd test.
Gee the old country are really boxing themselves into a corner with the moral high ground.
I take it now that any slightly contentious dismissal on their part will be scrutinised to the enth degree and they won't have a choice but to withdraw anything that isn't within the spirit of the game.
Maybe we should have our batsmen leave their crease straight after the last ball of each over.... then let's see what happens next!
Actually, if Warner survives Broads first over, I won't be surprised if he does it.
I'm guessing no attempt at a stumping from Bairstow, hence no appeal from Broad.
That's the spirit!
Yep, any objective person can see the Poms have made absolute ducks of themselves with their hypocritical bleating.

Reactions: 4 users
Yes, really don't get the angst from England on this. Carey catches it and shies at the stumps almost in one motion - Bairstow clearly just assumed he did anything but that. Ball was still alive, JB was still in his crease when the ball was thrown but had no awareness. Stay in your crease until the ball is dead.

If Carey had held it and waited until Bairstow wandered out maybe a different story. But no rule broken, no spirit of the game infringed. GFY Lords Members.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Yes, really don't get the angst from England on this. Carey catches it and shies at the stumps almost in one motion - Bairstow clearly just assumed he did anything but that. Ball was still alive, JB was still in his crease when the ball was thrown but had no awareness. Stay in your crease until the ball is dead.

If Carey had held it and waited until Bairstow wandered out maybe a different story. But no rule broken, no spirit of the game infringed. GFY Lords Members.
Yep, it's pretty straight-forward

Yes, really don't get the angst from England on this.
I get there is angst, but I don't get the extent or depth of it, the OTT hysteria and deluded undignified statements coming from the team itself. The tabloids sure, but the team? I can understand them being annoyed, we would be in the same posi, but not the total outrage, and not the public airing. As I said its Putin or Trump-esque, logic, facts, convention, dignity is all out the window

Reactions: 2 users
I get there is angst, but I don't get the extent or depth of it, the OTT hysteria and deluded undignified statements coming from the team itself. The tabloids sure, but the team? I can understand them being annoyed, we would be in the same posi, but not the total outrage, and not the public airing. As I said its Putin or Trump-esque, logic, facts, convention, dignity is all out the window
It's like that article I posted said, they're trying to weaponise sportsmanship. Trying to put Australia on the back foot and build sentiment against them. Fortunately, Cummins is having none of it.

Reactions: 3 users
I laughed at Old Boycott's indignation about the "spirit of the game". Back when he was playing, whenever he batted he NEVER WALKED & proudly proclaimed that if the umpire didn't give him out he wasn't out. The ball could have taken a chunk out of his bat but he wouldn't budge until the umpires finger was raised.
He's the biggest hypocrite ever.

There have been some similarities drawn on here between how England are approaching Cricket, and how Richmond approached footy for the last 5 years.

But now, we're seeing the philosophical distinction between 'Bazball' - a reckless, stupid, nuts-to-the-wall tactic, which breaks down under pressure, and Richmond's "Chaos footy'' - a freeing, present, be in the moment celebration of energy which causes other teams to fold under pressure.

No Richmond team or coach in our successful era would have come out saying "We certainly won't be having a beer with them after the match", or "We're going to win the next one by 150." A Richmond Man would say "Credit to them, they were too good on the day.", or "We'll go again next time, support each other and stick to our brand." This diffuses pressure, rather than building it.

England's team have attempted to free themselves up in style of play, but not in mindset. You need to be self reflective, control what you can, not what others do. Respectful. Humble. Accepting. But all out competitive in the game. You need to be process driven, not results driven. Don't worry about the next match. Enjoy the one you're playing. Don't worry about umpire decisions. Make your own good ones.

KP is right. They're putting themselves under pressure to score and win. Which is the opposite of our successful mantra. It's why 'Bazball' will ultimately fail, unless they back up their aggression with some introspection.

Reactions: 12 users
I would like to note that the criticism of Aussie tactics on day 5, even though it’s been confirmed that the pitch was lifeless, is still valid IMO.

The fall of the last wicket is a case in point. Attacking the stumps as soon as Broad entered the field was the best tactic considering we were defending well over 100 runs at that point.

Broad is not the worlds best number 8 - if Moeen Ali was around he certainly wouldn’t be within his own team. His off stump should’ve been tested and tested again.

Not only that, I think Stokes would’ve been put under more pressure if his offside play had been tested more. Make him alternate his stroke play and hit over a field looking to contain singles. We had the runs to execute this but instead we fed a monster with predictable short stuff. Yes we dropped two catches but Stokes was well and truly entrenched and in his comfort zone.

I wouldn’t want the Aussies to grow complacent on the “correct” way to get Stokes out. The man scored 80-odd like lightning and I consider this aspect of day 5 a contained failure.

More refinement needed for Headingley.

Overall, we should be looking to maintain attention to fine detail and stomp England’s throat once and for all.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I would like to note that the criticism of Aussie tactics on day 5, even though it’s been confirmed that the pitch was lifeless, is still valid IMO.

The fall of the last wicket is a case in point. Attacking the stumps as soon as Broad entered the field was the best tactic considering we were defending well over 100 runs at that point.

Broad is not the worlds best number 8 - if Moeen Ali was around he certainly wouldn’t be within his own team. His off stump should’ve been tested and tested again.

Not only that, I think Stokes would’ve been put under more pressure if his offside play had been tested more. Make him alternate his stroke play and hit over a field looking to contain singles. We had the runs to execute this but instead we fed a monster with predictable short stuff. Yes we dropped two catches but Stokes was well and truly entrenched and in his comfort zone.

I wouldn’t want the Aussies to grow complacent on the “correct” way to get Stokes out. The man scored 80-odd like lightning and I consider this aspect of day 5 a contained failure.

More refinement needed for Headingley.

Overall, we should be looking to maintain attention to fine detail and stomp England’s throat once and for all.
Yeah, they took a bit too long to bowl the right lines to Stokes - they got there eventually and slowed his scoring as a result, with the wicket following. To be fair though, Stokes played extremely well as well - was only taking them on down the hill, but yes the Aussies took about 10 overs to adjust properly.

There have been some similarities drawn on here between how England are approaching Cricket, and how Richmond approached footy for the last 5 years.

But now, we're seeing the philosophical distinction between 'Bazball' - a reckless, stupid, nuts-to-the-wall tactic, which breaks down under pressure, and Richmond's "Chaos footy'' - a freeing, present, be in the moment celebration of energy which causes other teams to fold under pressure.

No Richmond team or coach in our successful era would have come out saying "We certainly won't be having a beer with them after the match", or "We're going to win the next one by 150." A Richmond Man would say "Credit to them, they were too good on the day.", or "We'll go again next time, support each other and stick to our brand." This diffuses pressure, rather than building it.

England's team have attempted to free themselves up in style of play, but not in mindset. You need to be self reflective, control what you can, not what others do. Respectful. Humble. Accepting. But all out competitive in the game. You need to be process driven, not results driven. Don't worry about the next match. Enjoy the one you're playing. Don't worry about umpire decisions. Make your own good ones.

KP is right. They're putting themselves under pressure to score and win. Which is the opposite of our successful mantra. It's why 'Bazball' will ultimately fail, unless they back up their aggression with some introspection.
Great post. Absolutely agree, their mindset doesn't at all match Ben Crowe's philosophy which is the foundation for the Richmond approach. For Ben Crowe, all the motivation is internal, as you say control the controllables and everything else is noise. Be humble, be accepting, be vulnerable and have fun.

If the English team lean into these aspects as well as the freedom of play that they currently demonstrate, they'll dominate as they have the talent there.

Saw a great tweet yesterday (before being rate limited). Some punter said we should make it a point to mankad Broad during the next test just for the laughs.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 7 users

I think thats fair enough. We've certainly seen what can happen with teams when they free their minds and England need to learn the balance of theis more aggressive approach to cricket, but we also need to learn from the aussies in aspects they do well, and for me thats discipline and fielding. There's a reason why Australia have been so good at cricket for so long, they don't provide freebies to the opposition and they also ensure their fielding is top notch.

This article is actually very good and shows how close to Australia, England are, but also shows in the same article how far away they are, and what they need to focus on to continue to improve. We have come a long way from the pre-stokes and McCullum order, we were playing awful boring cricket. We now aren't, but we need to clean up areas that we are doing poorly and I haven't liked the sooking etc. I suspect part of that though is to ensure that the atmospheres stay like they were at both Edgebaston and towards the end of the Lords test. England seem to galvanise under that energy so part of this rhetoric of how we were wronged (we weren't) is to do with that IMO.

Anyway, back to that article.

Slight better batting average per wicket than Australia - big tick
Way more extras and in particular NB's and Byes (72 to 24 is absurd) - Massive cross. This is a huge area for improvement and is critical in a tight series

1688526683432.png

Again a massive cross for the above. double the number of missed chances and we've seen catches that should have been taken by Bairstow / Pope etc that I'm pretty sure if they were created by the Australians would have been taken. Need to get a lot better with this.

It sounds like England will be bringing in a life for like to replace Pope in Dan Lawrence (who is an ok batsman and depending on the pitch could bowl a bit of spin with Root if we don't go with an outright spinner), but I think the old adage of catches win matches needs to be what they look at, and move Bairstow to 3 and bring Foakes back in.

Went to the first test and a couple of days at Lords.

Can't believe how dumb England have been in preparing two wickets that are about as Australian as England can get.

*smile* 'Bazball' is a complete joke. *smile* techniques using big bats and small boundaries to hide them. Cannot believe we have been sucked into it and are giving singles to blokes on 0.

Warne and McGrath would have pissed themselves and then bowled them out for 120 in a session.

Understand why they did it but didn't really like the Bairstow dismissal. Not sure there's a natural leader in the team at the moment and the whole 4th innings was a bit of a demonstration of the immaturity of the team in those terms.

Still scoreboard says 2-0 up and in England you'd expect the weather will get a game before the series ends so the Ashes should be safe and the series should be won.

Reactions: 1 users
I’ve heard the word “ruthless” used in some post game analyses I’ve read.

It’s an interesting concept in regards to this English team and to Bazball itself.

Is “ruthless” adopting an aggressive swagger at all costs, working hard to cultivate an air of detached cool, insisting that unshackled, free-spirited cricket is the only way?

Or is “ruthless” actually what it always was - doing everything in your power, even if it means sacrificing vanity, pride or aesthetics, in order to win.

I feel England has lost its way this Ashes series. I look at them and I don’t see confidence, I see hubris. I don’t see clarity, I see dogma.

Pat Cummins may still be learning the art of leadership but he seems to know the value of listening. Adapting. Evolving across overs, days, matches.

The unstinting sacrifice that cricket demands.

very good. "most-stones-unturned' investigation. 'heavily oxidised individual". Rishi's wife's tax OK to the letter, but not the spirit of the law.

I laughed.
"a bunch of baying gin-hounds whose wives buy their pants."

Went to the first test and a couple of days at Lords.

Can't believe how dumb England have been in preparing two wickets that are about as Australian as England can get.

*smile* 'Bazball' is a complete joke. *smile* techniques using big bats and small boundaries to hide them. Cannot believe we have been sucked into it and are giving singles to blokes on 0.

Warne and McGrath would have pissed themselves and then bowled them out for 120 in a session.

Understand why they did it but didn't really like the Bairstow dismissal. Not sure there's a natural leader in the team at the moment and the whole 4th innings was a bit of a demonstration of the immaturity of the team in those terms.

Still scoreboard says 2-0 up and in England you'd expect the weather will get a game before the series ends so the Ashes should be safe and the series should be won.
To be fair, the current team doesn't have a McGrath and none will ever have a Warne.

Reactions: 1 users
They seemed to think they were going to have us on toast. Remember Broad’s comment that the series over here didn’t count, because it was played under Covid conditions. It didn’t count as far as Broad is concerned because they didn’t win. They’re very bad losers and were always going to cut up rough if things didn’t go their way. Then there’s the cult of Bazball.