Cricket | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Cricket

If our middle order can steer us home then you’d have to say that Baz ball was correctly countered.
Yes and no, all things being equal minus BB, we would have had this test won by now IMO. If the Poms win, BB succeeded, if they lose on a close one, BB has succeeded in narrowing the gap. But thats just mere speculation on my part of course.

I found it interesting that BB disappeared after we got Root. Cricket is cricket, and tight bowling is tight bowling. Not really a criticism of BB, just a comment on the hype. The hype is crazy, I almost expected Stokes or Bairstow to insert their bat up their clacker and do a backflip scoop 6 when they were pinned down. A Jimi Hendrix cricket bat air guitar while pulling away for 4?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Yes and no, all things being equal minus BB, we would have had this test won by now IMO. If the Poms win, BB succeeded, if they lose on a close one, BB has succeeded in narrowing the gap. But thats just mere speculation on my part of course.

I found it interesting that BB disappeared after we got Root. Cricket is cricket, and tight bowling is tight bowling. Not really a criticism of BB, just a comment on the hype
Yep Stokes could not have been more circumspect for his first 30-40 balls

Yep Stokes could not have been more circumspect for his first 30-40 balls

He hasn't played a lot of cricket recently, so I think that was more that he needed to do that to get his eye in. You saw the rash shot he played first up int he 1st innings, he wasn't going to do that again.

Has there ever been an Ashes Test so consistently even throughout?
The Border-Thommo Test springs to mind.
Day 1 - England all out 284
Day 2 - Aus all out 287
Day 3 - Eng all out 294
Day 4 - Aus 9/255
Day 5 - Aus all out 288

England won by 3 runs.

Reactions: 1 users
I think an aggressive Head & Green will be the keys to an aussie victory.

Superbly posied match. At least we will have a result at a reasonable hour (as long as the weather gods don't interfere)

How emabrassing its on GEM and not in HD. Packer would be gutting someone over this.

Reactions: 2 users

Superbly posied match. At least we will have a result at a reasonable hour (as long as the weather gods don't interfere)

How emabrassing its on GEM and not in HD. Packer would be gutting someone over this.

The advertisements straight after the most dramatic bits of play are seriously ill-considered. Must be a better way.

the ‘Aussie’ hosting hub doesn’t add a great deal IMO also

Might be in the minority but I really enjoy Athers, Nasser and the old guard. Comfort food like Lawry, Grieg used to be.

Mel Jones just awesome.

Much better than channel 7’s use of a hammy Matthew Hayden. He was cringe during the test final

I don't hate it, but its pretty pointless, they already have an Aussie onsite hub, with Ms Ransome rhymes with hansome and Tubby. The aussie hub throws to the aussie hub and back to the aussie hub.

JL didn't make the grade, thank christ for that!

Might be in the minority but I really enjoy Athers, Nasser and the old guard. Comfort food like Lawry, Grieg used to be.

Mel Jones just awesome.

Much better than channel 7’s use of a hammy Matthew Hayden. He was cringe during the test final
The Poms are the best commentators as you suggest - Athers & Nasser superb. Tubby is our standout.

Its horrific that its on Gem. Channel 7 and Fox always prioritised the cricket. Clearly Channel 9 think Parental Guidance and re-runs of Chicago Med are more important to their viewers.

BTW Steve O-Keefe also annoys me. Seems to have some obsession with using Aaron Finchs full name. He does know he can just say Aaron or Finchy doesn't he. Finch is pretty good, but O'Keefe just seems to sound angry for some reason.

BTW Steve O-Keefe also annoys me. Seems to have some obsession with using Aaron Finchs full name. He does know he can just say Aaron or Finchy doesn't he. Finch is pretty good, but O'Keefe just seems to sound angry for some reason.

SOK is annoying

Seems like a dude at the local TAB long after his mates have gone home

Good post Leysy but I feel you drop Boland at your peril.

Who’s to say the next pitch doesn’t offer more sideways but Starc, coming in for Boland, goes for 6+ an over.

I like the current bowling setup but would not be surprised if Scotty makes way.

Don't get hung up on our guys going for runs. They are all going to. It's wickets that matter.

On that - one other reason for Starc is his amazing ability to clean up the tail. He's not called mop for no reason.

No way Broad and Robinson put on 50 or whatever it was if he plays.

• Love
Don't get hung up on our guys going for runs. They are all going to. It's wickets that matter.

On that - one other reason for Starc is his amazing ability to clean up the tail. He's not called mop for no reason.

No way Broad and Robinson put on 50 or whatever it was if he plays.

Starc very attractive for Lyon combination too

Reckon Gary might end up with most wickets in series. Bowling beautifully IMO

On the captaincy/field placing debate. Leysy is firmly in the camp that Cummins is waaaayyyyy too defensive.

No issue with putting the field back and protecting boundaries to dangerous batmen once they are set.

But it's bloody ridiculous to have the field well back to anyone just at the crease. There hasn't been a batsman in 150 years (maybe Bradman) that isn't suspect early in an innings.

Case in point was the field for Harry Brook. Promising young player, but Bradman he aint. To have men back on the fence on both sides of the wicket before he has even scored is weak, soft captaincy and planning.

The easiest shot in the world is to drop it square for a single on either side, and he had both available.

We just allowed him to first get off the mark, and then settle into his innings with no pressure. He would have loved it when he took guard and saw that. What a lovely sigh of relief he would have had.

Sure, once he gets to 20 or so, protect the flow of runs, but FFS put some pressure on and let him take a risk early when not set.

It's the Australian Test side. Let's make us difficult to play against.

Reactions: 6 users