Coronavirus | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Coronavirus

I don't understand why the gov't didn't engage key stakeholders (industry groups/employer groups/unions) in the vaccination discussion earlier. Surely the types of mandates that have occurred should have been discussed and agreed upon rather than imposed with the seeming lack of collaboration & haste that has occurred? Understand we didn't have the supply but that shouldn't have kept the discussions from occurring.

Perhaps if Dan spent less time posturing for the camera and more time performing the task he was elected for we wouldn't have had the recent troubles, at least to the extent we have seen?

Lack of leadership isn't confined to federal politics.
Communication and collaboration aren’t strong points in politics in general. While the public servants in charge seem to be pretty slow to react. For example Woolworths and Coles are driving change in the Covid response around isolation because there is a lack of questions being asked and two way communication. Australia Post also in trouble because of these issues. Santa will have to be highly organised this year

There has to be more balance in the discussions so that small business can open up in a practical and safe manner based on density management using social distancing rather than rules that are defying in logic.

I think this would be all helped in state parliament was opened up for an extended sitting until Christmas. As there can be more communication about local issues that people are dealing with.

Reactions: 1 users
Excess death data says UP has fudged their numbers massively. I have a few Indian colleagues with family back home who verbally confirmed to me the devastation on the ground. I’d be very wary of drawing conclusions on UP performance.

Thanks Roar. Seems like very good and contradictory data and helps complete the picture. Looks like a fair source. It would appear the dip in the charts might be attributable to a high level of natural infection. The Yogi is the No 3 man in the BJP and maybe more politically cunning than I gave credit for.

Thanks for the response on my other post (apart from the paternalistic clip). I'll tease out those matters further anon. Like you I enjoy a healthy debate.

Last edited:
Excess death data says UP has fudged their numbers massively. I have a few Indian colleagues with family back home who verbally confirmed to me the devastation on the ground. I’d be very wary of drawing conclusions on UP performance.

Agree with this RE. I remember reading somewhere that in tests, about 99% of people in UT had antibodies against Covid.

So if we want to let it rip, then fine, its a great example. It effectively ripped through the community, killed who it could but then is lauded after because its case and death numbers are low. Covid can't kill the same people twice.

The good scenario it provides, is that with natural immunity, it appears this has a very good impact on reducing transmission.

Reactions: 2 users
Where the hell is this research? Is it an anecdote from a guardian article" Or your stunning rebuttals that you don't watch old men on YouTube or data doesn't exist because it's presented by some one in an ill fitting suit.

You go out of your way to evade data. I thought it was because you were disingenuous but you are still pushing that barrow so maybe that's just the limits of your comprehension.

Do you actually understand the concept of arguing from first principles or critical thinking?

Once again please confirm that you accept the facts I presented or offer data in rebuttal. Stop your "look over there *smile*". Once we have an agreed set of facts and you can add your own (real data) the we can actually have a discussion which follows the science. If you do not want to do that, fine but you cannot make the claim that you are following the science

You still don't get that "I do my own research" is a joke mate. It's a trope of the anti-vaxxers. By the way, neither of us are medical researchers, we don't do research, we read stuff online and then talk about it. I'm happy to acknowledge that - are you?

I've provided a heap of links to articles, journals, even to Nature. Typically you don't reply to these, except to restate the same old "but there are 65 studies which show that ivermectin works!" I've provided links to articles - by epidimiologists, medical researchers and experts - that review this literature and call significant questions as to the methodology and outright fraudelent nature of many of these. You ignore this.

I've said if and when there are good clinical studies, accepted by real medical researchers that show real clinical benefit in patients then I'll change my views. You ignored the Together study in Brazil - and the link to slide deck of the preliminary results which showed no benefit. I could post it again, you'll just ignore it again. I'm eagerly awaiting the results of the Principle Trial in the UK - it also is looking at Ivermectin - if it comes back as showing no benefit, I'm sure you'll ignore that too. If it shows benefits, that's science, and I'll accept the results.

On Youtube - no, I don't put much stock in random people saying things on Youtube. For one, I don't have the time to watch a 20 minute video of some old bloke in an UK kitchen reading from emails and other random documents. Youtube videos may contain facts, but they are hard to find, and even harder to verify. There's a reason that Youtube videos are popular with the Ivermectin, MAGA anti-Fauci tribe - they don't have the skill or patience to read. Youtube is good for sport, music, and even documentaries, but when it comes to conspiracy science and public health... maybe not so much.

Unlike most (sensible) people on this thread I actually take some of my time to respond to your arguments in some detail - some of the more out-there stuff I don't, or I dismiss it as nonsense. This may offend you, for which I make no apology.

Last edited:
The Yogi is the No 3 man in the BJP and maybe more politically cunning than I gave credit for.

Yes, Covid is political, and people have agendas.

Leaving all that aside though, it's interesting that the Indian national and state press the reporting of UP Covid never mentions Ivermectin any more. The focus is on containment, breeches and vaccination. Try it - Google Ivermectin in Uttar Pradesh and the only recent articles are from overseas conspiracy networks or funny Youtube videos.

This is interesting though. The Indian Council of Medical Research just dropped HCQ and Iv. from Covid treatment protocols. Must have realised it doesn't work. Thoughts Dr @lamb22 ?

You can bet the Ivermectin boys will still be parading India around as the Ivermectin poster boy for months and maybe years to come though.

Another recent study in India showed no viral reduction in Covid patients treated with Ivermectin. Small study, only looked at viral counts, not clinical outcomes, but you can add it to the growing evidence. Notice that Lamby - I'm quite happy to point out the limitations of research - I don't take the 65 STUDIES PROVED IVERMECTIN WORKS OK approach. Critical thinking eh. It works!

1. As a brain surgeon is not an expert in the sharpening of steel, nor a footy player an expert in leatherwork, or the bus driver an expert in aspiration of a deisel engine, the pilot is not an expert in aeroplanes.

for the budding contrarians, libertarians, totalitarians and raeliens out there,

stay clear of analogies.
But if the brain surgeon was to complain that his scalpel was blunt
or the footy player claimed the leather work was soft n flabby
or the bus driver complained his engine lacked acceleration power
or the pilot claimed that a certain type of aircraft felt like *smile* to fly.
Wouldn't it be wise to stop, listen to the complaint and investigate carefully? Just in case of course.

Reactions: 1 user
But if the brain surgeon was to complain that his scalpel was blunt
or the footy player claimed the leather work was soft n flabby
or the bus driver complained his engine lacked acceleration power
or the pilot claimed that a certain type of aircraft felt like *smile* to fly.
Wouldn't it be wise to stop, listen to the complaint and investigate carefully? Just in case of course.

of course.

and if the cattle farmer suggests he pours his drench down your back,

stop, listen,

and consult a physician

Last edited:
You still don't get that "I do my own research" is a joke mate. It's a trope of the anti-vaxxers.

Too subtle for some.

I do like the way Lamby craps on about the need for data and then makes multiple assertions without any data. Truly impressive hutzpah that.

DS

Communication and collaboration aren’t strong points in politics in general. While the public servants in charge seem to be pretty slow to react. For example Woolworths and Coles are driving change in the Covid response around isolation because there is a lack of questions being asked and two way communication. Australia Post also in trouble because of these issues. Santa will have to be highly organised this year

There has to be more balance in the discussions so that small business can open up in a practical and safe manner based on density management using social distancing rather than rules that are defying in logic.

I think this would be all helped in state parliament was opened up for an extended sitting until Christmas. As there can be more communication about local issues that people are dealing with.
It could have been done quicker but I do know that the states wanted the feds to engage in the issue of mandatory vaccinations and to put in some sort of national framework. However SCOMO and his mates basically refused to engage and have taken a “ leave it up to employers” attitude.
This has left it to states to create the framework and I am sure there would have been teams of lawyers involved and probably will still be legal challenges when people start losing their jobs. In the public sector it is a public health direction which they believe will provide the necessary legal protection. In hospitals for instance mandatory vaccination has now become a public health order which means the operating entity is required by law to comply.
Some complain about loss of freedom of choice but to be honest I struggle to understand how anyone can work in the health system and see what is happening and not support mandatory vaccination.

Some sobering facts for the next few weeks

Yesterday Victoria had 1763 cases and have 517 people in hospital of which 101 are in ICU ( 66 ventilated)
NSW 608 cases but still have 979 people in hospital of which 190 are in ICU ( 94 ventilated)

It's the tail, the delay that's going to hit Victoria in the coming weeks. Our hospitals are going to be hit really hard, our ICU numbers are going to skyrocket and all this may happen whilst actual case numbers start coming down.

• Sad
You still don't get that "I do my own research" is a joke mate. It's a trope of the anti-vaxxers. By the way, neither of us are medical researchers, we don't do research, we read stuff online and then talk about it. I'm happy to acknowledge that - are you?

I've provided a heap of links to articles, journals, even to Nature. Typically you don't reply to these, except to restate the same old "but there are 65 studies which show that ivermectin works!" I've provided links to articles - by epidimiologists, medical researchers and experts - that review this literature and call significant questions as to the methodology and outright fraudelent nature of many of these. You ignore this.

I've said if and when there are good clinical studies, accepted by real medical researchers that show real clinical benefit in patients then I'll change my views. You ignored the Together study in Brazil - and the link to slide deck of the preliminary results which showed no benefit. I could post it again, you'll just ignore it again. I'm eagerly awaiting the results of the Principle Trial in the UK - it also is looking at Ivermectin - if it comes back as showing no benefit, I'm sure you'll ignore that too. If it shows benefits, that's science, and I'll accept the results.

On Youtube - no, I don't put much stock in random people saying things on Youtube. For one, I don't have the time to watch a 20 minute video of some old bloke in an UK kitchen reading from emails and other random documents. Youtube videos may contain facts, but they are hard to find, and even harder to verify. There's a reason that Youtube videos are popular with the Ivermectin, MAGA anti-Fauci tribe - they don't have the skill or patience to read. Youtube is good for sport, music, and even documentaries, but when it comes to conspiracy science and public health... maybe not so much.

Unlike most (sensible) people on this thread I actually take some of my time to respond to your arguments in some detail - some of the more out-there stuff I don't, or I dismiss it as nonsense. This may offend you, for which I make no apology.
Good posting antman. Your efforts on this thread are both highly informative and time saving for lazy picks like me !

• Love
“There is a reason that so many health care professionals are speaking out against the mandates, and it may have something to do with the fact healthcare is their field. For example, if airline pilots, experts in their field, refused to fly on a specific model of 747 aircraft, would an average person wish to know why, or would they blindly jump on that plane – because the FAA declared it safe? Help get the truth out.”
Interesting quote. I work in healthcare and personally I have not heard of one health professional in my sphere of connection who has spoken out against vaccination mandates.

I am sure there are some somewhere

Too subtle for some.

I do like the way Lamby craps on about the need for data and then makes multiple assertions without any data. Truly impressive hutzpah that.

DS

I mean, I do take the p1ss sometimes, but in terms of the science I do back up my stuff with links to reasonable sources. He totally refuses to engage with the data from the large legitimate clinical trials like Together. Why not?

Will be interesting to see @lamb22's take on India. It's not going as well as the ivermectin promoters suggest and India have removed ivermectin and HCQ from their official treatment protocols. Got a feeling he won't want to talk about this.

Last edited:
Some sobering facts for the next few weeks

Yesterday Victoria had 1763 cases and have 517 people in hospital of which 101 are in ICU ( 66 ventilated)
NSW 608 cases but still have 979 people in hospital of which 190 are in ICU ( 94 ventilated)

It's the tail, the delay that's going to hit Victoria in the coming weeks. Our hospitals are going to be hit really hard, our ICU numbers are going to skyrocket and all this may happen whilst actual case numbers start coming down.
very sobering stats there, but some good news (if you can call hospitalisation numbers good news) is that hospitalisations in Vic due to COVID are much lower than NSW. Maybe due to our early spike in vaccinations in June

The graph below shows hospitalisations in NSW dropping about 10 days after the daily cases peaked. And while Vic cases are yet to peak and hospitalisations are growing, the numbers are much lower than NSW
NSW highest daily cases: 1603 on 11th Sept. Highest hospitalisations: 1268 on 21st Sept
VIC highest daily cases: 1763 on 5th Oct. Highest hospitalisations: 517 on 5th Oct

Hospitals and ICUs will still be very much under the pump, and I feel for those on the front line. Hopefully we reach peak cases very soon

1633476397720.png

Reactions: 3 users
Interesting quote. I work in healthcare and personally I have not heard of one health professional in my sphere of connection who has spoken out against vaccination mandates.

I am sure there are some somewhere

There was a letter in The Age this morning from an anaesthetist who was talking about the vaccines he already has to prove he has had, and is up to date with any boosters, whenever he goes to a workplace. The list includes Hep A, Hep B, Tetanus, MMR etc. The basic message was, hey, add COVID to the list - woopee wow.

Mandating vaccinations is common in a number of industries. The only, and I really mean only, reason that this has become an issue is because the RWNJs are trying to make some political capital out of it.

Kids who aren't vaccinated can go to childcare, but no subsidies.

Tradies go to their workplaces and must provide documentation of trade qualifications, as do teachers (registration).

The number of people who have a genuine medical reason not to take one of the 3 vaccines on offer is "almost none" as detailed in an article last week.

Now some are claiming they want to wait for Novavax. Fine, you don't work while you wait and, while you're at it, can you tell us, in detail, the scientific rationalisation for waiting for Novavax? Yeah, bet none of them can.

Get the vaccine or wear the consequences.

DS

This is undoubtedly positive. The amount of work going on in relation to COVID treatments and improving vaccines gives me great hope for the future.

mRNA vaccines also have good potential for treating other viruses. Apparently HIV is a harder one though as it mutates rapidly and the protein spike varies a lot more than the family of coronaviruses. Moderna is doing early stage research in a potential mRNA vaccine for HIV.

Big Pharma eh, always out to make a buck.

Another recent study in India showed no viral reduction in Covid patients treated with Ivermectin. Small study, only looked at viral counts, not clinical outcomes, but you can add it to the growing evidence. Notice that Lamby - I'm quite happy to point out the limitations of research - I don't take the 65 STUDIES PROVED IVERMECTIN WORKS OK approach. Critical thinking eh. It works!

This paragraph of yours Anty is a thing of real beauty. Number 1, the study is not recent it is a February 2021 study. Number 2 Mr. " I don't take the 65 STUDIES PROVED IBERMECTIN WORKS OK approach" The 65 studies that I have linked you to before are ALL THE STUDIES on Ivermectin Dumbar$e. If you would have visited the site you could have found the study you referenced and rather than rely on research by anecdote or headline you could have read the source material and not embarrassed yourself. You will also find the Together Trial, the Lopez Medina trial, the Cochrane meta analysis and the Roman meta analysis.

The figures of improvement cited on the site (and they include 57% for mortality and 86% for prevention) are a real time analysis of the data as it is added to the site. The database is current to 4 October 2021. Accordingly the quantification of benefit takes into account the Together Trial, the Mohan trial and every other trial showing benefit or otherwise. I get a kick out of you 5 minute google warriors finding data you don't understand (8 months old) and presenting it as a 'gotcha' when I have linked to that database and told you what was on there on numerous occasions. You look ridiculously foolish and it just exposes the vast chasm in your knowledge base.

The Mohan study does show benefit of about 15% over placebo but it is not considered statistically significant. In other words you cannot discount that you get to that number by chance.

The together trial shows a reduction in mortality when using Ivermectin over Placebo of 18% but again not considered statistically significant. However when you factor in other studies that show a significant benefit and add numbers to the sample base the collective data provides evidence of efficacy and suggests that the ivermectin benefit hinted in the Together Trial is not a random outcome even though understated

You cannot look at Mohan in isolation. There is another RCT from Israel the Eli Schwarz study which does show a statistically significant reduction in viral load (you can check it on the database OF ALL STUDIES!!). Together they provide evidence of efficacy in vivo which confirms the Caly study in vitro ( you can check that on the database)

All studies have limitations and some have more flaws than others. For example the Together Trial has some data matching issues. It underdosed and also gave ivermectin on empty stomachs whereas the accepted protocol is to take it with food because tissue concentrations are 2.6% higher . This has been well known since the Guzzo study in 2013 which also found that Ivermectin is safe at 10 times the recommended dose

Nevertheless even then the numbers trend towards benefit

Meta analyses tend to even out some of these flaws although rubbish in will still result in rubbish out.

So the real debate where I see it is the battle of the meta analyses. You have the Bryant, Kory US group, Lawrie group UK, Nardelli group (Italy), Hariyanto group (Japan) and Andrew Hill's analysis (WHO) that show benefit and the Roman and Cochrane studies that question it. The key is that the later meta analyses omit a lot of the data.

I am happy to have a discussion on efficacy which would basically revolve around whether the omitted trials should or should not be considered. I would hope that was science based but fear it could be political,. Anyway resolution of that discussion is probably above our pay grade but there are some very eminent people on both sides of the debate, moreso in the Ivermectin side IMO. The assessment of the strength of scientific evidence is Tess Lawrie's bread and butter even having the WHO as a client.

I despair at the deterioration of our medical institutions. The WHO did great work as did the FDA when they were exclusively publicly funded. The FDA knocked back Thalidimide for morning sickness on safety issues whereas other bodies including out TGA did not. Cochrane too was a great independent research body before money crept in. It's amazing how the pharma companies can buy legitimacy (and compliance)

In conclusion I come back to your astonishing arrogance and then demonstrable ignorance. You denigrate the work of 655 scientists including eminent physicians and scholars including authors of the studies you find on your 5 minute google search. I think the word is wilful ignorance. I've never seen anyone revel in it more. Anyway it's exhausting correcting your homework all the time. I am going to put up a few final posts during the day and find a life away from this thread. In some ways I need to apologise. This is a footy forum after all.