Coronavirus | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Coronavirus

Norway opening up fully. It will be interesting to monitor how they go.

It's the way it has to be now, no country can stay locked down forever. Give people as much opportunity to vaccinate as possible, continue to use controls/isolation when people get sick.

Reactions: 2 users
It’s not just that they spend a lot of time together, in many cases they live together.
There is of course an element of giving up, but I live in the inner east and I see plenty of people giving up here as well. This is also a socio-economic issue, they live together but also they have a far greater need to work (often more than one job) because of economic factors.

This is a very good and comprehensive article on the challenges and inequity many communities face with their fight against Covid and gave me a much better understanding of their plight:

Reactions: 1 users
I took my eldest child who is 14 got vaccinated today. She was very brave and made sure I stayed out of her way through the process. Normally it’s hard to get her to agree to a flu shot, but not with getting the Covid jab. She wants to like others do the right thing and keep her community safe. But she is most of all hoping get the country opened for interstate travel.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
This is an excellent idea. The 6 region’s nominated are a few weeks ahead with vaccination so it won’t involve a higher risk than letting the whole state operate this way at once. Best way for us all to learn so we can open up in a broader and sustained way.

Reactions: 1 user
I took my eldest child who is 14 got vaccinated today. She was very brave and made sure I stayed out of her way through the process. Normally it’s hard to get her to agree to a flu shot, but not with getting the Covid jab. She wants to like others do the right thing and keep her community safe. But she is most of all hoping get the country opened for interstate travel.

My 13 year old is the same. She's booked in on the 7th for her 1st. Very similar focus to your daughter.

• Love
With Covid numbers continuing to rise, and talk that non covid patients may have to be sent home to be treated so that there's an availability of beds.

Just a thought.

When hospitals are at capacity, should people who have refused to get vaccinated be deemed to have forfeited their right to get treated in hospital if they get infected with covid?

My thoughts are, yes they do forfeit there right.

With Covid numbers continuing to rise, and talk that non covid patients may have to be sent home to be treated so that there's an availability of beds.

Just a thought.

When hospitals are at capacity, should people who have refused to get vaccinated be deemed to have forfeited their right to get treated in hospital if they get infected with covid?

Can’t agree mate. We need to open more beds when required and perhaps cancel elective surgery so that private hospitals can take cases on.

Also we need to do the below as well so that medical professionals can do the job.

Reactions: 2 users
This is a very good and comprehensive article on the challenges and inequity many communities face with their fight against Covid and gave me a much better understanding of their plight:

Yes, important background info. Back in February ATAGI prioritised individual risk (vaccination for the most vulnerable - hospital staff, elderly) as being more important than societal risk (younger people, more mobile, more likely to spread it). This was based on a limited supply of vaccines so they were in a no-win situation. Not enough GP clinics to give the vaccine at the start. Many households have been in quarantine for many weeks, more restrictive than out lockdown rules and many lives have been lost both young and old. It has devastated a vulnerable population so now it's a race between the vaccine and the virus. Covid has exposed the social divide affecting the poorest in our community who also don't have secure work.

Can’t agree mate. We need to open more beds when required and perhaps cancel elective surgery so that private hospitals can take cases on.

Also we need to do the below as well so that medical professionals can do the job.

that is Tiger Joe Guerra. Haven't seen him post on PRE for quite a while .... but he might well be a bit busy.

Just a thought.

Seen this argument a few times.... I don't like it ... where does it stop? Not sure medical ethics allow it? There are plenty of preventable diseases that people still catch or self inflicted injuries they present with that doctors still treat and even give priority to based on urgency. eg You sir didn't wear a seat belt so we wont fix your smashed skull.
If any medical insider suggests it I will listen more closely but at the moment it seems its just a populist instrument to persuade the non committed.

Interesting. Sounds like really no reason to not get a jab.

Yes, very good article and I read that in the paper this morning.

The relevant part was:

The only people who cannot get any of the three coronavirus vaccines available are those who are allergic to both polyethylene glycol (PEG), which is in the Moderna and Pfizer vaccines, and polysorbate 80, which is in the AstraZeneca vaccine.
Professor Kristine McCartney, Director of the National Centre for Immunisation Research and Surveillance, said that translated to “almost no one”, and those who were allergic to those ingredients would likely already be well aware of it.

“[PEG or polysorbate 80] are residual agents or they’re part of what is used to stabilise the vaccine,” Professor McCartney said.
“These are very, very common products that are in everyday products we use all the time [such as cosmetics and bathroom products].”

She said severe allergic reactions were rare – about one in 100,000 people – were treatable and most would be detected in the 15 minutes after a shot. Those rare few who have an allergic reaction could in most cases get a different brand of vaccine safely afterwards.

Even those undergoing serious medication procedures such as surgery, an organ or bone marrow transplant or chemotherapy for cancer can receive a COVID-19 vaccine, Dr Price said.

That's - Almost No-One who can't take these vaccines.

There is simply no excuse not to get vaccinated and this just reinforces the fact that I am yet to hear a sensible reason why some people are not willing to get vaccinated.

DS

Reactions: 4 users
705 cases and 1 death.

Case numbers big 48 hours coming up. If we can hold around these numbers we might start the same trend as NSW as the higher vaccination rates kick in.

My 13 year old is the same. She's booked in on the 7th for her 1st. Very similar focus to your daughter.

isn’t that beautiful to see?

isn’t it also time we started including 12-15 year olds in the official roadmap data? All eligible people should be included.

that is Tiger Joe Guerra. Haven't seen him post on PRE for quite a while .... but he might well be a bit busy.

i unfollowed him on twitter. his views come across to me is differing from most medical professionals. That’s not to say they should all have the same views (of course not), but his views come across to me as being politically motivated. I’m guessing he will be running again at the state election.

I agree we should include 12-15 year olds in the vaccination percentages, and I'd go further and be looking at this as a percentage of the whole population.

The Guardian does this and we have:
41.39% of the population fully vaccinated
51.58% of 16+ fully vaccinated
Ranked 34 of 38 OECD countries

DS

I agree we should include 12-15 year olds in the vaccination percentages, and I'd go further and be looking at this as a percentage of the whole population.

The Guardian does this and we have:
41.39% of the population fully vaccinated
51.58% of 16+ fully vaccinated
Ranked 34 of 38 OECD countries

DS
It is in the roadmap data. if you look at Melb roadmap, 5 November is 80% 16+ then there is another column which states about 2 weeks later when 80% 12+ then we move to the national plan (assume a further reduction in restrictions) interstate travel etc.

Some good news out of the UK - an Oxford university epidimiological study of around 220,000 people has shown that vaccination does reduce infection - ie your chance of getting infected by CV is much lower if you are vaccinated - around 50-60%. This study is not peer reviewed yet (it's a pre-print) but comes from a highly regarded set of researchers. So this likely means that yes, vaccine does reduce both initial infection and therefore transmission in a statistical sense.

Other parts of the study show that immunisation is just as good as natural infection in terms of immunity. So all those banging on about "natural immunity being better" can have a cup of tea and a rethink. Natural infection followed by vaccination did give even stronger immunity than either natural immunity alone or vaccines alone. But again the message is GET VACCINATED YOU MORONS

As in earlier smaller studies, Pfizer gives better protection and immunity early, but immunity declines more rapidly than AZ. Four months after double dosing, they are on a par and thereafter AZ is better. What this means is that if you get Pfizer, you'll likely need a booster earlier than if you got AZ.

Not enough numbers yet on Moderna - all the details on the ABC coronacast.

Reactions: 10 users
The amount of misinformation that is allowed to be spread and given voice is truly disheartening.

Plus given most people didn’t do stats at uni (or try and learn it after) - causation and correlation being mixed does my head in. Plus misleading headlines liked most people in hospital in Israel have been vaccinated. Etc.

We truly need people to get a good education and ability to distill reality from crap.

Separately being open to alternate points of view and understanding the concerns that drive those without the scientific understanding and the ability to exert some kind of leadership to influence it will also be critical.