Coronavirus | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Coronavirus

No wonder the US are back to close to 200,000 cases a day and 1,700 deaths.

If you were to equate to the AUS population it would approx. be 15,850 cases a day and 135 deaths.

I would not look forward to that.
Matter of time until it touches you in some unpleasant way at that rate.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user
Well let's see if they have enough staffing to accommodate it without seriously impacting electively surgery, (I use the word elective loosely as many ops that come under that category are pretty bloody important).
If you see some of my earlier posts I make the point that there is no way that the public hospital system can continue normal elective surgery and also handle a major COVID outbreak.
It is simply not possible given both physical capacity and staffing. Private hospitals will be used to do some public surgeries, as they were last year, but it isn’t enough to continue as normal.

Last edited:
If you see some of my earlier posts I make the point that there is no way that the public hospital system can continue normal elective surgery and also handle a major COVID outbreak.
It is simply not possible given both physical capacity and staffing. Private hospitals will be used to do some public surgeries, as there were last year, but it isn’t enough to continue as normal.

It was only 6 weeks ago that I had elective surgery cancelled at a Private Hospital and we are in a worse position now so it won't be long.

At some point it's opening up & those that don't get vaccinated after having the opportunity to do so will suffer.
I'd prefer that rulebreakers were made to suffer - really suffer - so that we could've got back to zero and enjoyed a semblance of normality until a superior vaccine was developed, even if it required martial law. But that ship has sailed and we're going to pay, and the same people who didn't care enough will shrug their shoulders. You don't have to be religious to recognise that this is a biblical scale event. *smile* we are dumb, dumb, DUMB.

This concept the public is being sold of the pandemic being over once x% are vaccinated is fool's gold. A chocolate-coated *smile*. Passports to sickness and death. It's *smile* depressing.

The one small glimmer of hope is that the virus doesn't do as well in the warmer months. A mitigating factor perhaps.

Still a 2 week quarantine coming into Aus, in a quarantine facility, even for the vaccinated. That needs to change soon.

Reactions: 2 users
It was only 6 weeks ago that I had elective surgery cancelled at a Private Hospital and we are in a worse position now so it won't be long.
Some elective surgeries have already been cancelled in the public system as well.
Not sure why private hospitals were cancelling surgery 6 weeks ago but in the last couple of weeks they are increasingly being asked to be a back up for public elective cases.
I wouldn’t want to be relying on getting “non-urgent” surgery anywhere in the next 10-12 weeks. You are right that some non urgent surgeries are still pretty urgent in the minds of the people getting them. For example things like hip replacement and other orthopaedic type operations are not life saving but they are a lot about quality of life.

Some elective surgeries have already been cancelled in the public system as well.
Not sure why private hospitals were cancelling surgery 6 weeks ago but in the last couple of weeks they are increasingly being asked to be a back up for public elective cases.
I wouldn’t want to be relying on getting “non-urgent” surgery anywhere in the next 10-12 weeks. You are right that some non urgent surgeries are still pretty urgent in the minds of the people getting them. For example things like hip replacement and other orthopaedic type operations are not life saving but they are a lot about quality of life.

I have Ear Surgery at St Vincent's Private on Monday so have been basically a recluse for two weeks so as not to be caught in an exposure site and also praying anxiously that there is no snap elective surgery ban. I think with 1 day to go I should be across the line ;)

Reactions: 4 users
No wonder the US are back to close to 200,000 cases a day and 1,700 deaths.

If you were to equate to the AUS population it would approx. be 15,850 cases a day and 135 deaths.

I would not look forward to that.

Imagine if there was no vaccination... We forget almost half a million dead in the US alone.

Reactions: 1 users
I'd prefer that rulebreakers were made to suffer - really suffer - so that we could've got back to zero and enjoyed a semblance of normality until a superior vaccine was developed, even if it required martial law. But that ship has sailed and we're going to pay, and the same people who didn't care enough will shrug their shoulders. You don't have to be religious to recognise that this is a biblical scale event. *smile* we are dumb, dumb, DUMB.

This concept the public is being sold of the pandemic being over once x% are vaccinated is fool's gold. A chocolate-coated *smile*. Passports to sickness and death. It's *smile* depressing.

The one small glimmer of hope is that the virus doesn't do as well in the warmer months. A mitigating factor perhaps.

There will be no better vaccine, that's a fool's paradise. The vaccines we have are already highly effective in terms of avoidance of death and hospitalisation, already much more effective than the flu vaccines for example. This is a complex virus - it's like the common cold which we be with us forever. The good news is with mRNA vaccines responses to variants can be developed and manufactured within 6 weeks.

Martial law would be a joke and would never happen in a free society, and you cannot punish your way out of a situation like this. Punishment would mean people would lie about where they went and who they saw, and lo and behold, the virus is out. Locking up Australia both internally and to the outside world is a utopia/dystopia that was never practical in the medium to long term.

Any intelligent person knows the pandemic will not be over after 80% - the way we live and deal with this then remains to be seen.

Get vaccinated, take your ivermectin and buckle up boyo

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users