Coronavirus | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Coronavirus

You must have missed all those daily press conferences that have been going on for what seems like 10 years
Saw a couple, nothing but repeating the same crap ad nauseam. Stay home, hide under the bed, we're all gunna die.

That is a pretty disturbing situation and worrying that it says that Victoria's ICU situation is worse than Sydney
Probably because Dan forgot to bother setting up any additional ICU beds after the initial flurry of Cooties panic had settled down n still has the same minimal amount of beds he had two years ago.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
Truckie in Queensland spend 45 minutes at a 'nail salon'. Sounds like the might have been offering a few extra services.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Me n Al been hangin around together long time.
Barbara Eden, Dawn Wells, Elizabeth Montgomery, Tina Louise all in no particular order. Barbara Feldon, yeah o.k. if I can't have my own pick.
I guess the ranking of these 5 beautiful women is subjective. What is not in doubt is the ranking of the shows on which they featured and on that score Barbara Feldon is panels ahead of the others.

Get Smart. One of the greatest ever.

Reactions: 5 users
I guess the ranking of these 5 beautiful women is subjective. What is not in doubt is the ranking of the shows on which they featured and on that score Barbara Feldon is panels ahead of the others.

Get Smart. One of the greatest ever.
Barbara Feldon is thinking man's crumpet. So is Elizabeth Montgomery.

Reactions: 4 users
Probably because Dan forgot to bother setting up any additional ICU beds after the initial flurry of Cooties panic had settled down n still has the same minimal amount of beds he had two years ago.
This is 100% not true

Victoria can scale up at minimal notice and equipment was ordered and delivered last year to enable it

Even the article that was shown shows that to be untrue. It was even stated that out of 170 nurses trained up last year, only 5 have volunteered to come back this year. Imagine how bad the scenario must have been for them not be willing to come back. If I was in the health service I would be appalled and offended every time you call it the "cooties".

The problem we've got isn't bed capacity, its most likely going to be humans. There needs to be a balance of how many nurses are out providing vaccinations, and how many are treating patients, which is why its imperative that even with vaccination rates rising, we need to continue to keep numbers down.

Reactions: 2 users
Those numbers are for sources of outbreaks. here is a case number list:

View attachment 13300

Other is always such a handy classification. Bookeepers love it, don't know where something goes - create an account called Other.

Food Industry - assume that would include supermarkets?

Are they safe because of all the protocols? Sanitising, masks, open environments etc?

Good article here on the real therapies that real doctors are using in real hospitals in Australia. They mention a number of new anti-virals and anti-imflammatories that have been through expedited clinical trials and observational studies, and are showing success in dealing with bad Covid cases. Long article but here's a snippet.

"With health professionals becoming more adept at treating Covid and treatments being approved, Griffin said it was distressing to hear about people using and advocating unproven treatments such as ivermectin, an anti-parasitic medication currently only being given to Covid-19 patients in Australia as part of tightly controlled clinical trials.

A man was hospitalised in Sydney after self-administering ivermectin, and the TGA reported concern over increased importation and prescribing of the drug.

“I’m certainly aware of the strong push to get ivermectin, and it’s frustrating,” Griffin said. “It’s not a risk-free medication and people are often using sub-standard preparations designed for animals. It also means potentially those people are less likely to seek out evidence-based care, and they’re less likely to present for testing or come to hospital for the treatments we now have.

“I think people want to believe there’s some kind of conspiracy that we’re concealing or withholding effective treatments when in fact there is a lot of work going into research.”

The president of the Royal Australian College of General Practitioners, Dr Karen Price, said the attraction of unproven and potentially harmful treatments was unsurprising.

“In times of heightened anxiety, people want a fast solution that will keep them and their loved ones safe,” she said.

“They may suspend any doubt they have and be lured in by false promises via social media or prominent public figures doing all they can to draw attention to themselves. I wish I could tell them that ivermectin will protect them from Covid-19 but that simply isn’t the case.”

Interesting they mention there are clinical trials involving Ivermectin in Australia currently underway.

Unlike accused criminals, hospital patients get to remain anonymous when they do something so dumb it lands them in trouble. Mercifully, there was no name or sex attached to the COVID-positive “Patient X” admitted to Westmead Hospital after overdosing on the anti-parasitic drug ivermectin.

Westmead toxicologist Associate Professor Naren Gunja concluded, “Thankfully they didn’t develop severe toxicity [from ivermectin], but it didn’t help their COVID either.” The “treatment” brought to mind another cure for parasites: the proverbial man who successfully eliminated his bed bugs by burning down his house.

But we can reconstruct Patient X’s logic. Ivermectin is a drug promoted by medical experts from Donald Trump to Craig Kelly MP, who claim it has anti-COVID-19 properties. Normally, it is used to fight worms, lice and rosacea. It’s quite possible that it was Kelly’s leadership that persuaded Patient X to give it a whirl. I received a text from Kelly last week, being one of the lucky thousands of Australians whose phone number was hoovered up by his supposedly random distribution system. Thanks for the spam, Mr Kelly. I don’t have rosacea (not now), worms (not since I was a teenager), and nits (ditto, when I had hair) – but if I get COVID-19, I’ll keep your musings in mind.

The thing about Patient X overdosing was this: in the remote possibility that ivermectin might work against COVID-19, you have to overdose on it to give it a chance. According to a 2020 study published in the British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology, ivermectin can only act against a virus (in vitro) at eight times the approved dose. The US State of Mississippi has reported that 70 per cent of calls to its poisons centre came from people who bought ivermectin at livestock supply centres. Fourteen other studies involving more than 1600 patients, in a review cited by the Australian Department of Health, have yet to produce evidence of ivermectin’s anti-COVID properties. Maybe the subjects just didn’t take enough to bring on the vomiting and diarrhoea and, as with certain hallucinogenic fungi, it’s only after the puking finishes that things start happening.

But what would doctors know? We live amid the ultra-democratisation of knowledge, when Dr Google has hijacked our brains and made everyone a freaking expert.

The taps are fully open on instant expertise. Medical know-how is infectious in the community. There’s a public health expert who’s been chalking footpaths near my house saying things like “COVID 97 per cent survival” and “suicide rate up 53 per cent”. Out on my allotted exercise time, not even the birdsong can keep up with the overheard snippets of expertise: authoritative declarations about vaccination percentages and infection numbers, ICU admissions, post-lockdown jobs data and Delta mortality rates. Some families are so surfeited with their own expertise that they have banned COVID-related conversation after 6pm. You just need a break from all that knowledge.

In these highly strung, data-obsessed days, few can resist the power of a scientific-sounding number. Who is not fixated on that double-dose rate hitting 70 per cent, the daily infection rate announcement to which we tune in every morning, the cultish allure of hard stats? These kinds of numbers used to be divided into two categories: lies and damned lies. The Soviets raised a love of numbers to a fetish: statistics on manufacturing production were one side of the coin on which the dark side was measured by quotas sent to the gulag. Even in benign places like Australia in the 1980s, few can forget Paul Keating’s lustful gurglings of “a beautiful set of numbers” as he sought to educate the public on macroeconomics. Sufficiently educated, the public then hit him over the head with a number of its own, a 17 per cent interest rate. Today, citizens cite data as a cushion against anxiety.

It’s easy to deride the epidemic of self-made expertise. But, as I drink from my half-full glass of home remedies, I like to think that what we are living with is a lot better than the alternative: a population which is indifferent, incurious, uninterested, asleep. I grew up in such a population. The so-called Generation X, raised in an atmosphere of post-Vietnam cynicism, pummelled by unemployment and rolling recessions, tended not to look to politics and public policy for solutions. Amid this general withdrawal, politics became a magnet for the mediocre. And now we reap the harvest of our apathy: the flower of Generation X in Canberra, the major political parties led by a charlatan and an incompetent. If you are Generation X or thereabouts, you must be embarrassed what your long-ago apathy has coughed up.

By contrast, the cohort growing up now are being forced to make decisions about their world. If today’s crisis is breeding tomorrow’s leaders, then the sheer quantity of argument around COVID-19 can only motivate future action. People tuning in to their state premier’s 10am or 11am briefing is a fundamental change of habit, an increase in community engagement and, let’s hope, a kind of rehearsal for the bigger challenges that await, challenges in which the scientific overlaps with the moral.

Whether it’s through instant Wiki-expertise or a more substantial inquiry, COVID has prompted Australians to engage with public policy in a way few have lived long enough to have experienced. They are engaged with the search for political solutions to this crisis as they have never been engaged before. The attention on our health systems, the curiosity about the interlocking mechanisms between jurisdictions (whoever thought federalism would be the galvanising passion of our time?), and the sheer volume of argument is not only unprecedented but, viewed through my half-full glass, reason for optimism.

Even the pandemic of Google-brain gives cause for hope. I’m encouraged by people chalking the pavements and protesting against police heavy-handedness even if I suspect they are less than fully hinged. The lingering threat to democracy, beyond this pandemic, isn’t people who want to convince you of their nonsense. It’s people who don’t care, people who submit passively, people who don’t ask questions. We shouldn’t worry as much about those spreading misinformation as those who accept it unthinkingly.

This crisis has stirred up enough argumentative energy to light up the globe. A return to apathy will return it to darkness. The only number that is really dangerous to our future is zero: a public with zero interest, zero thinking, zero to say.

And thanks for the medical advice, Mr Kelly. I’ll grab some ivermectin when my sister-in-law’s horse gets worms.

This is 100% not true

Victoria can scale up at minimal notice and equipment was ordered and delivered last year to enable it

Well let's see if they have enough staffing to accommodate it without seriously impacting electively surgery, (I use the word elective loosely as many ops that come under that category are pretty bloody important).

Ivermectin ? Seriously, what absolute moron would ever use that ? Everyone knows Domestos is better. This man told me so.

1630728598723.jpeg

“And then I see the disinfectant where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that, by injection inside or almost a cleaning?”

Stop spreading dangerous lies please, any fool knows that was just a joke.

If there was some way we could get a bright light to shine through the skin though........................:ninja:
Bright lights using a sabre like tube would be my second choice. But it has to be purple. Other colours don’t work. Only purple.

1630729594425.jpeg

Ivermectin ? Seriously, what absolute moron would ever use that ? Everyone knows Domestos is better. This man told me so.

View attachment 13305

“And then I see the disinfectant where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that, by injection inside or almost a cleaning?”
Best. President. Ever.

• Haha
My sister & her family have just been advised that someone at BILs work has tested +ve for Covid, the guy refused to wear a mask whilst at work (or anywhere) now everyone at that workplace has to be tested & Iso for 14 days. What selfish pr1cks some people are.

BIL isn't vaxxed yet nor is niece( Due to ongoing medical issues) she was recommended to get Pfizer but is having probs. getting an appointment. I know only too well what that's like.

• Angry
  • Sad
Reactions: 2 users