Coronavirus | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Coronavirus

Dan should go the distance. I don't see any of ministers having the capacity to take over. And as leader for 10 years that is a direct product of Andrews leadership style. Merlino might be closest but I'm not sure if he is enough of his own man.
I agree with this but would go further. The other commentary on the dearth of talent in the politics in Victoria is that the alternative is Michael O'Brien

On the responsibility/ accountability thing, many who would be happy to see the CEOs of Westpac and Rio resign / be sacked for failings of ther companies are going blue in the face arguing that the same standards don't apply to Premier Andrews.
However as is said in my post above we continue to follow the rules and see where it takes us.

Dan should go the distance. I don't see any of ministers having the capacity to take over. And as leader for 10 years that is a direct product of Andrews leadership style. Merlino might be closest but I'm not sure if he is enough of his own man.

The clean up gang is not the Vic govt, only the Federal govthas the moolah but we don't want to get our hopes up as other states have their begging bowls out too and don't particularly give a *smile* whether we go down the gurgler.

I get what you are saying and agree somewhat.

People like Tony Hayward were sacked after the Deepwater Horizon accident, however comparing him to Dan in terms of accountability is like comparing chalk and cheese. Dan has stated on numerous occasions that he takes accountability for hotel quarantine.

On the other hand, there were 2 major issues that caused the outbreaks and the levels of deaths, the hotel quarantine was the flame but the fire burned into aged care due to the procedures that the feds didn't change after the aged care outbreak in NSW. We should have learned from that, we didn't. So do you also support that Scomo should take accountability for the aged care outbreaks?? Should he also fall on his sword??

Reactions: 1 user
Who here has ever said Dan cannot be criticised, nice straw man but a bit obvious.

As for comparing Dan to the banks, I don't think our state government has been involved in money laundering for pedophile rings, I think heads should have rolled in the banks, just as I think ministers do need to take some responsibility for their portfolios.

New infections in single digits is a good sign and a bit of a milestone:

COVID19 7 day ave 28092020.jpg

By the numbers:

DateNew Infections7 Day Trailing Ave5 Day Centred Ave14 Day Trailing Ave
23 September 2020​
11​
20.29​
15.60​
28.07​
24 September 2020​
13​
15.71​
13.20​
26.14​
25 September 2020​
12​
14.57​
11.40​
24.50​
26 September 2020​
16​
15.00​
22.71​
27 September 2020​
5​
14.14​
20.93​

All the averages going down. We'll see how it goes, likely to jump around but the restrictions are still mostly in place so let's hope it holds.

DS

I get what you are saying and agree somewhat.

People like Tony Hayward were sacked after the Deepwater Horizon accident, however comparing him to Dan in terms of accountability is like comparing chalk and cheese. Dan has stated on numerous occasions that he takes accountability for hotel quarantine.

On the other hand, there were 2 major issues that caused the outbreaks and the levels of deaths, the hotel quarantine was the flame but the fire burned into aged care due to the procedures that the feds didn't change after the aged care outbreak in NSW. We should have learned from that, we didn't. So do you also support that Scomo should take accountability for the aged care outbreaks?? Should he also fall on his sword??
Umm...but Andrews has not taken responsibility nor fallen on his sword.
He has deflected the blame to Mikakos and has stated he does not intend to resign......just saying !
And by the way
..this disgraceful nonsense beaurocratic speak about no one person made the decision re quarantine but that it was a general thought process that people went with is an absolute insult to intelligent Victorians.
If any of you believe it you are blind to political deception.
Political passion is akin to religious fervor. ..it causes blindness to reality.

Reactions: 2 users
He has deflected the blame to Mikakos and has stated he does not intend to resign......just saying !
And by the way
..this disgraceful nonsense beaurocratic speak about no one person made the decision re quarantine but that it was a general thought process that people went with is an absolute insult to intelligent Victorians.
Political passion is akin to religious fervor. ..it causes blindness to reality.

I don't know why Scomo hasn't resigned. After all, it's always the person at the top who is at fault, right?

• Haha

You really need to read that link that was provided up the top by Antman on the difference between responsibility and accountability.

No-one is saying this was acceptable.

Pakula deserves more heat. The security guard company are mates of his. The timeline of Ashton's phone usage are also interesting. There is a 6 inute window where it appears either he decided, or someone else told him, that the AFP were not required.

Reactions: 1 users

I thought you didn't want to debate yet here you are.

She resigned, he didn't ask her to. Not sure how that is deflecting blame. It sounds like you've decided he made the decision without reading the evidence from the inquiry.

And by the way

Removing the hyperbole around <disgraceful nonsense insults blindness and religious fervour>, there is something in this. I don't buy the "collective decision" stuff 100% either - it seems that everyone deferred to VicPol, and it was known that was the case. This is the stuff-up. However saying "we were too scared to challenge vicpol leadership on this" is untenable

I thought you didn't want to debate yet here you are.

She resigned, he didn't ask her to. Not sure how that is deflecting blame. It sounds like you've decided he made the decision without reading the evidence from the inquiry.

Removing the hyperbole around <disgraceful nonsense insults blindness and religious fervour>, there is something in this. I don't buy the "collective decision" stuff 100% either - it seems that everyone deferred to VicPol, and it was known that was the case. This is the stuff-up. However saying "we were too scared to challenge vicpol leadership on this" is untenable

Just couldn't resist. Seemed like too much fun.
Will take my bat and hyperbole and head off home very slowly.....a sort of creeping assumption you might call it.
PS ...I am a little worried . I am married and have discovered that no single person was responsible for the fiasco....I am happy to take responsibility but I swear it wasn't me..

Last edited:
Just couldn't resist. Seemed like too much fun.
Will take my bat and hyperbole and head off home very slowly.....a sort of creeping assumption you might call it.
PS ...I am a little worried . I am married and have discovered that no single person was responsible for the fiasco....I am happy to take responsibility but I swear it wasn't me..

Stick around, all opinions are welcome.

Who here has ever said Dan cannot be criticised, nice straw man but a bit obvious.

As for comparing Dan to the banks, I don't think our state government has been involved in money laundering for pedophile rings, I think heads should have rolled in the banks, just as I think ministers do need to take some responsibility for their portfolios.

New infections in single digits is a good sign and a bit of a milestone:

View attachment 10621

By the numbers:

DateNew Infections7 Day Trailing Ave5 Day Centred Ave14 Day Trailing Ave
23 September 2020​
11​
20.29​
15.60​
28.07​
24 September 2020​
13​
15.71​
13.20​
26.14​
25 September 2020​
12​
14.57​
11.40​
24.50​
26 September 2020​
16​
15.00​
22.71​
27 September 2020​
5​
14.14​
20.93​

All the averages going down. We'll see how it goes, likely to jump around but the restrictions are still mostly in place so let's hope it holds.

DS
I am not "comparing " banks to Dan I am illustrating how leaders in other sectors are impacted by decisions they make and the outcomes of their actions.
And I did not make my point well about criticism of Andrews ... it's in the big world where many people hold the view that criticism is disobedience and undermines the effort.

To me criticising the Premier is like prisoners banging their enamel mugs on the cell bars. Makes a lot of noise but in the end jailer Dan holds all the keys and we will be released in his good time.

Victoria’s beleaguered contact tracing system is inching closer to reaching standards in other states with the latest figures revealing only one case where the health department took more than 48 hours to notify close contacts of a positive COVID-19 case.
From this morning's Age.

This is good news. Will help stop outbreaks in their tracks.