Changes v Western Bulldogs. | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Changes v Western Bulldogs.

Despite some of the rhetoric, our older players won't be dropped for this one.

In Hopper, Short, Martin and Sonsie (though I'd consider leaving Martin another week, we need him to be at full fitness)
Out Ross (will make us too slow if we bring Hopper back in), Hugo, Ryan, Clarke (I liked Clarkes game, particularly in the first half)

Cumberland and Mansell to swap the forward / sub positions

If 1 of the returning 3 don't play, then we keep Clarke in the side.
Is this what you think or what you thing Dimma thinks. For what its worth I think the match C are likely to drop Cumberland if Martin is fit and drop Jack when hell freezes over.

Cumberland gets a full game...that surely is the one thing the selection comitee learnt i hope..

In cumbo..dusty..hooper..short
Out mj ( sub) ralph..young..ross

Reactions: 1 user
Is this what you think or what you thing Dimma thinks. For what its worth I think the match C are likely to drop Cumberland if Martin is fit and drop Jack when hell freezes over.

With Cumberland I'm not sure. I want him in the team but it depends where they play Dusty. I think it depends on 2nd ruck. I don't think we are gaining much from that and I think we need the extra runner against the Dogs anyway, so I'd go in with 1 less tall, particularly forward. Lynch or Jack can take the ruck contests in the forward 50. If needed, at centre bounces we can use Pickett for his leap.

Your disdain of Jack is astounding for a Tigers supporter IMO. Jack has done enough in his 3 games this year to warrant his spot in the team.

After watching VFL today, id like to fit the Sonz in.

And with the blokes coming back, a few blokes who performed their role OK have to make way

Shorty wont be ready. Neither will Tarrant

in: hopper, dusty, sonz

Out: Ross, Graham, Hugo/Melee

Im ok with Cumbo being sub again - hes fukn good at it

Sonz is all footballer, in every respect.

Im honestly as excited about what Sonz/Clark can bring in the near future as Tarranto/Hopper

And thats no slight on the new blokes

Reactions: 4 users
Might be a bit controversial but I’d drop Jack Riewoldt if Dusty is fit. A forward line of Lynch, Ryan, Martin, Cumberland, MRJ and Bolton. If we’re going to play Cumbo with Dusty, something has to give and that could be Jack. Cumbo can play taller but also offers speed and skill at ground level that Jack simply doesn’t possess. Jack admitted on 360 a few weeks back that he knows his spot is not set in stone this year and he’s accepted that, so might be time to make a big call and give a couple of players of the future in Samson and Cumbo a few weeks to strut their stuff

Reactions: 5 users
I just don't get your beliefs around footy. We are still i the flag hunt, yet you have wanted Tarrant retired and want Jack retired. They are both a lot better than our next group in those positions. You essentially want to dump Jack for Miller in the forward line, lets reverse the question. What makes you think Miller can do the same or better than Jack in the forward line??? Reference Jakcs 2nd goal yesterday from the boundary line and compare that to Miller against Carlton. I like Miller back and in the ruck but I'm yet to be convinced he can score enough goals when forward.
I don't believe I have said either should retire. But I don't believe either are still in our best 23. If the team is to grow and keep up, their places should be used to provide opportunities to emerging players, especially early in the season. This is particularly the case when we have emerging players who have come to us after reaching 20-22 or so.

Injuries are always likely to provide opportunities when they will be needed again.
Coaching and advising aside, it is a hard game and this (reserve) role would allow them to stay on with honour intact.

With Cumberland I'm not sure. I want him in the team but it depends where they play Dusty. I think it depends on 2nd ruck. I don't think we are gaining much from that and I think we need the extra runner against the Dogs anyway, so I'd go in with 1 less tall, particularly forward. Lynch or Jack can take the ruck contests in the forward 50. If needed, at centre bounces we can use Pickett for his leap.

Your disdain of Jack is astounding for a Tigers supporter IMO. Jack has done enough in his 3 games this year to warrant his spot in the team.
I am not happy with 'distain'. That is just more of your stick up the arse.

Jack hasn’t been terrible but team balance wise I’d rather Cumberland in than him at this point. We need Samson to back up ruck, Cumberland offers a lot more at ground level than Jack and he and Dusty can also mark really well for their size. Just because he’s a 300+ game champ of our club, doesn’t mean he’s a lock every week

Reactions: 2 users
I am not happy with 'distain'. That is just more of your stick up the arse.

Rubbish, you continually bag Jack out. He didn't have a great game last night but was pretty good in the 1st 2 rounds. Also, you say he's not best 23, so please tell me who is this awesome forward thats pushed Jack out of the team??

Miller has no confidence in kicking for goal, he's good in defence and the ruck but has no confidence when inside F50. Samsons played 3 games, he has something, but neother of them have pushed Jack out of our best 23.

You call me out thinking I have a stick up my arse over Jack, well please tell me who has pushed him out of team as the 2nd tall forward, I'm all ears.

Jack hasn’t been terrible but team balance wise I’d rather Cumberland in than him at this point. We need Samson to back up ruck, Cumberland offers a lot more at ground level than Jack and he and Dusty can also mark really well for their size. Just because he’s a 300+ game champ of our club, doesn’t mean he’s a lock every week

Dusty's good one on one, but he's not a good mark over his head. He marks well because of his strength, he needs to be 1 out to do that. Taking the 2nd best defender and playing permanently forward to ensure they don't double team Lynch is not Dusty's go (nor is it Cumberlands).

Dusty's good one on one, but he's not a good mark over his head. He marks well because of his strength, he needs to be 1 out to do that. Taking the 2nd best defender and playing permanently forward to ensure they don't double team Lynch is not Dusty's go (nor is it Cumberlands).
That’s what Samson is for? He doesn’t have to ruck much and it won’t hurt if he’s not in the forward line for a period of time. I get where you’re coming from but I feel like we need to be more dynamic and that’s exactly what cumberland was last night. Maybe Samson goes out but then who back up rucks? Can’t be Pickett every week

That’s what Samson is for? He doesn’t have to ruck much and it won’t hurt if he’s not in the forward line for a period of time. I get where you’re coming from but I feel like we need to be more dynamic and that’s exactly what cumberland was last night. Maybe Samson goes out but then who back up rucks? Can’t be Pickett every week

I think it will be a bit of horses for courses over the coming weeks personally.

I don't see us dropping Jack when we are 1-1-1 and its probably our most winable game out of our next batch of 3. FWIW I suspect he doesn't travel to Adelaide in Round 5 so we may see what a forward line without Jack looks like then. Plus I think Samson can probably the Swans defence more than the Dogs. The Swans would play Rampe on Jack, not sure they can do that with Samson.

I think it will be a bit of horses for courses over the coming weeks personally.

I don't see us dropping Jack when we are 1-1-1 and its probably our most winable game out of our next batch of 3. FWIW I suspect he doesn't travel to Adelaide in Round 5 so we may see what a forward line without Jack looks like then. Plus I think Samson can probably the Swans defence more than the Dogs. The Swans would play Rampe on Jack, not sure they can do that with Samson.
Yep I think you may be right and I think Cotch won’t make the trip so Sonsie might get his opportunity then. Would love him in against the dogs though, he’s such a smooth mover

Interesting how many are calling for Ross' head.

Seems we've found the pre whipping boy for 2023.

23 disposals, 3 clearances and a goal. Disposal efficiency at 80 percent.

Statistically, was in our top 5 or 6 players. Not a bad first up game when everyone else was so down.

It's also interesting to me how often he's the guy running to be an option as a runner out of a contest. The link man.

Combine that with getting up for a goal, and that was the most Lamberty game I've seen from a tiger since Lambert.

He's a type we need.

Reactions: 24 users
Interesting how many are calling for Ross' head.

Seems we've found the pre whipping boy for 2023.

23 disposals, 3 clearances and a goal. Disposal efficiency at 80 percent.

Statistically, was in our top 5 or 6 players. Not a bad first up game when everyone else was so down.

It's also interesting to me how often he's the guy running to be an option as a runner out of a contest. The link man.

Combine that with getting up for a goal, and that was the most Lamberty game I've seen from a tiger since Lambert.

He's a type we need.
O come on here! Whipping boy? Just because Short did not play?????????

• Haha
Rubbish, you continually bag Jack out. He didn't have a great game last night but was pretty good in the 1st 2 rounds. Also, you say he's not best 23, so please tell me who is this awesome forward thats pushed Jack out of the team??

Miller has no confidence in kicking for goal, he's good in defence and the ruck but has no confidence when inside F50. Samsons played 3 games, he has something, but neother of them have pushed Jack out of our best 23.

You call me out thinking I have a stick up my arse over Jack, well please tell me who has pushed him out of team as the 2nd tall forward, I'm all ears.
Simply he has lost the ability to reach the contest. He can’t keep up.

Who has pushed him out?
It is no contest until someone else gets a go. I’d like to see Bauer get a go . I’d like to see Ryan get sustained go but three tall forwards are one too many.
I’d like to see Miller tried at CHF but no one will get a serious shot at any of the above, while Jack is an automatic in.

Tylar Young is getting that opportunity now as a defender.

That has occurred only because Tarrant was unfit.

Reactions: 1 users
It may be a week early , however with Hooper , Sonsie and Martin coming in , I think I’d rest the Skip and Jack ( they’ll need 4 or 5 off during the year ) keep Ryan in ( if it’s dry) , I’d also like to see Ross stay in , played well ad has earns the right for another week.

Far from ready to go however I see Bauer as the type we need to ad to that forward line, our long down the line is so predictable and I think Bauer may end up working well as a lead up player , no way does Cumberland go out , ads what we haven’t had in the forward half , also like to see Bolton play more forward again , find his to one way running through the middle when things arent going our way . Definitely won’t happen but MJ could do with a few weeks in the 2s midfield learning to get the footy , Clarke offers more as a package for me at this stage .

Reactions: 1 users
Simply he has lost the ability to reach the contest. He can’t keep up.

Who has pushed him out?
It is no contest until someone else gets a go. I’d like to see Bauer get a go . I’d like to see Ryan get sustained go but three tall forwards are one too many.
I’d like to see Miller tried at CHF but no one will get a serious shot at any of the above, while Jack is an automatic in.

Tylar Young is getting that opportunity now as a defender.

That has occurred only because Tarrant was unfit.

Jack can get to the contests. My god you've been repeating the same thing since Round 1. Do you go to games? I think I remember you watch most on the TV (but I could be wrong) but I always trust my eyes more than whatever is shown on our TV screens. Jack is fine at getting to contests but it depends on the ball coming in. Against Carlton in particular, the ball use was horrible, he was burnt at least 3 or 4 times by bad ball use. Then against Adelaide he kicks 2.2 and it should have been 4.0 as 2 were shanked kicks. Last night he seemed a bit down, but I won't crucify him as I wasn't there and didn't see it live to see his positioning in the forward line (you cannot see that on TV).

Ryan will get games this year. I'm not sure Miller will hit the scoreboard enough, just doesn't have the confidence when inside 50.

Young has been given a go but is more a Grimes type (Caesar has been saying this for some time). I suspect once Tarrant comes back he will be back in, Young probably stays until Broad returns, but may well then find himself back in the VFL for a bit.

Jack has played nowhere near as poorly as you claim, to be talking about dropping him for players that are untried in the forward line. They may do it, if they decide to go with a different mix, but I don't see it. Jack will play most of the year in the AFL, probably get used to it.