Changes v Freo | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Changes v Freo

Seriously why all the calls for Thomas? He's hopeless at AFL level. McDonough very stiff, unfair really. Surely Gordon's had his chances and McD deserves a fair run to find the pace at AFL level?

Thomas had one very good game last year. It was a very wet day and ground.

I think many are being very hard on Thomas, he is a solid role playing AFL footballer, especially on soft decks. If it is wet Saturday evening I would play him against an opponent like Freo.

I don't like the 2 rucks, one of Ivan and Hammer should be out imo. Slows us down too much

Sintiger said:
I think many are being very hard on Thomas, he is a solid role playing AFL footballer, especially on soft decks. If it is wet Saturday evening I would play him against an opponent like Freo.

I don't like the 2 rucks, one of Ivan and Hammer should be out imo. Slows us down too much

I got the impression from the way Hardwick spoke that he was not convinced about playing both. I expect a late change

lukeanddad said:
I got the impression from the way Hardwick spoke that he was not convinced about playing both. I expect a late change

Yep. 2 things stood out: 1. He is not convinced about two rucks and 2. He is favouring Hampson at the moment.

Put this together with Thomas being named as an EMG and wet conditions and I reckon the odds of Maric out and Thomas in are very short

i expect both rucks to play. as others have said we just about never have late changes, and never because of conditions.

i agree we shouldnt play both, at least when we have Griff or TV available, but it will be interesting to see how it goes against Sandi. Maybe having 2 rucks who can rest plenty will help to out run him and to continually jump into him.
i also expect Hampson to come 3rd man up at stoppages a lot.

one should sub out and then hopefully we wont see them together again.

Sintiger said:

Leysy wouldn't ever have Thomas on the list, but if you do, and you are ever going to play him - it is against Fremantle on a wet MCG.

I was hoping McBean might get a go, I just think bringing Griff straight back in after the injury is a bit of a risk. I was also disappointed to see McDonough dropped and replaced with Lloyd. One of them has the potential to make it at the top level and the other is a good VFL player. Unfortunately we've dropped the one with potential and selected the VFL player. Maybe Lloyd will have one of his rare ON days and kick a few.

Brodders17 said:
i expect both rucks to play. as others have said we just about never have late changes, and never because of conditions.

i agree we shouldnt play both, at least when we have Griff or TV available, but it will be interesting to see how it goes against Sandi. Maybe having 2 rucks who can rest plenty will help to out run him and to continually jump into him.
i also expect Hampson to come 3rd man up at stoppages a lot.

one should sub out and then hopefully we wont see them together again.

Thursday team selection for the Hawks will be VERY interesting because one of ty hammer Ivan or Griffo will be in the reserves that weekend.
Ty and hammer play reserves. Griffiths and Ivan never do. Always straight in.

se7en said:
Looks like we lost this game at the selection table ;)

Freo are playing Griffen as well, we are playing 2 ruckman also. Griff as permanent forward, have Freo lost it at the selection table also ?

Hoping for a late change - Maric for Thomas/McDonough. I dont think we need two ruckmen In the wet.

hope Fyfe plays. all be a superstar, always a HUGE risk in including players who are not 100% right. especially a player that needed scans at the start of the week and to date has trained away from the main group

Wet weather??? A few showers is not wet weather. I can't see it being wet enough to bring in Thomas.

tigertime2 said:
Wet weather??? A few showers is not wet weather. I can't see it being wet enough to bring in Thomas.
I keep hearing on here that it's going to be wet, so going off that.

It's going to be wet tonight- rain forecast but tomorrow it looks like fine 13.

On that basis I would play all 3 but leave use Griff as a permanent forward and use interchange rotations with Maric/Hampson and then sub one of them at 3/4 time and bring our sub one, say Lloyd and hope he can snag one or two goals. I would use our two ruck men in 10 min bursts. Wear Sandilands out. Instruct them to crash and bash into him at every opportunity.

If they are bringing two ruck men lets not rely on either Maric/Hampson rucking all game and taking Griff away from our forward structure. Will be easier for Freo if we have Jack as a focal point as most entries will be directed at Jack and they will structure easy to counter that.

Lennon, Jack, rotating mid
Deleido, Griff, rotating 2 mid

Then having lumbering ruck men rotating through there.
That's my reasoning !

waiting said:
It's going to be wet tonight- rain forecast but tomorrow it looks like fine 13.

On that basis I would play all 3 but leave use Griff as a permanent forward and use interchange rotations with Maric/Hampson and then sub one of them at 3/4 time and bring our sub one, say Lloyd and hope he can snag one or two goals. I would use our two ruck men in 10 min bursts. Wear Sandilands out. Instruct them to crash and bash into him at every opportunity.

If they are bringing two ruck men lets not rely on either Maric/Hampson rucking all game and taking Griff away from our forward structure. Will be easier for Freo if we have Jack as a focal point as most entries will be directed at Jack and they will structure easy to counter that.

Lennon, Jack, rotating mid
Deleido, Griff, rotating 2 mid

Then having lumbering ruck men rotating through there.
That's my reasoning !

Spot on, well said

If Jack left 1 out we are to predictable, so leave Griffiths there all day long. Freo have Sandilands + Griffen so it evens itself out + Hampson is quite mobile around the ground.