Changes Rd 13 v Sydney | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Changes Rd 13 v Sydney

Its funny, I thought Morro was just starting to show some signs that he was coming to terms with his new role, given that he was lost and completely ineffective early on in the season.

But Newman honestly, this is just embarrassing. Why, why, why

Matiger said:
Its funny, I thought Morro was just starting to show some signs that he was coming to terms with his new role, given that he was lost and completely ineffective early on in the season.

But Newman honestly, this is just embarrassing. Why, why, why

Delilah?

thejinx said:
Game lost at the selection table.

Lambert won't make AFL. Decision making too slow and not agile enough. Particularly for a small forward.

Gordon doesn't offer anything other than lots and lots of running. Doesn't do anything decent with the ball. Too fumbly and manic.

Newman is Newman. Don't mind him on a wing. But he isn't going to win any games for us and is coming to the end of his career.

If we select players who aren't going to have a big impact on the immediate result, they should at least be potential long term players for the club that we can develop.

Damn i was thinking of having a punt on this one...

Anyone know the scores?

Chimptastic said:
Welcome to the supporter base Pandaboy! I hope you keep supporting this great club into your second year next year and for many years to come! :clap

thought the same thing. A cavalcade of hacks scrolled though my minds-eye as I read that post

Tigertough1974 said:
Damn i was thinking of having a punt on this one...

Anyone know the scores?

yeah me too. If we can get the margin its still Ka-ching-time but

Good to see Dimma hasn't learnt a thing after winning four in a row with the selection of some youngsters and the non selection of duds like Newman, Gordon and co.

Buddy to kick 10 and will be a long night!!! What the heck is Gordon in the team for? To provide what? Benny Hill moments?

I wasn't going to add to the whinging but the Kings are taking sooo long to make their pick...

Gordon: Should have been Lloyd. Not as endurance...ful, but actually finds the ball AND kicks goals, even from limited opportunities
Newman: Should have been MaccaD. Regardless of Clarke's truly bizarre VFL reports, I reckon he has been in the team's top for most of the year, Matt that is
Lambert: Like it. Reckon he is going to be a good player

While, for the sake of sanity, I will adopt the philosophy of 'surely the people at the club know much much more than me', I don't think these selections helped our chances. Still.... Go Tigers!

a lot of negativity on here...Gordon didnt play too bad against Sydney in round 23 last year...bigger body may help?
If Newman plays *smile*...then hes cooked and wont play again, but at least we make decision now rather than round 22...(wouldnt surprise me if he kicks 2 or 3 tonight)
I dont know much about Lambert.

it was about time Morris was dropped and mednadue is too skinny and wouldn't have done much tonight.

Whilst having some concerns, at the end of the day as long as we win I really don't care who we put on the park and the coaches are justified by their selections.
However if we lose then questions will be asked.

The thing is, the players we brought in this week didn't need to be world beaters, due to the outs. We're not losing much in menadue and Morris. Newman and Lambert, or Lambert and Gordon are like for like (in terms of impact). I'd probably prefer Gordon and Lambert to Morris and Menadue.

The issue here is the loss of Ellis, and the non selection of McDonough.

Ellis' class, although just sprinkled through the games, has been the tipping point between attack and stalling.
This measured, kick to kick game plan absolutely requires an Ellis for the pinpoint weighted pad at the right time. It needs the Edwards freak handball clearance to advantage. We don't have a lot of these players, and they're crucial to the win.

Look at the Fremantle game, Ellis had 3 or 4 beautifully weighted passes to set up goals, that made the patient kick to kick build up an actual foray forward.

You can't replace that with Gordon. Or Newman anymore. McDonough does offer that. His ball use is creative and attacking, and he runs to get his hands on it.

We have a deficit of creative ball users, and including Lambert, Gordon and Newman hasn't helped anything.

Hm I don't know, perhaps there is a little added anxiety over this week's match after we didn't win our 5th in a row to 2nd on the ladder last week? Feels like the groundwork is being laid out so if we lose we can blame the coach's selections.

Maybe this is a bit simplistic, but sometimes I think in a game with about 750 possessions between 2 teams, a 5 possession difference between a Newman and a Lloyd, or an additional stuff up by 'replacement maniac' Gordon compared to a Morris' stuff up, is hardly going to significantly influence the result of the match. The same as how 2-3 bad umpiring calls doesn't significantly influence a result determined by 750 possessions.

I mean, we could pick anyone from 20-30 on our list and they'll provide the same basic performance. None of them are currently influential enough to absolutely demand their spot, for whatever reason. Yet whenever we come off a loss, people sound like they're sharpening the knives in advance over seemingly minor selection decisions. Are these decisions much greater than I realise? Because the difference between player 25 and 26 seems negligible to me, so I thought they decided based upon more intangible team factors.

Can say that VFL form counts for nothing, McDonough again our best but cant get in let alone an emergency spot...What a farce :(

Tim Clarke;

Matt McDonough
28 disposals, five clearances, three goals

Had his best game for several weeks. Won a lot of ball and also impacted the scoreboard. If he can play like this on a consistent basis, he’s going to be pushing hard for senior selection. It’s the standard that he needs to be at.

Lambert taking Morris's spot but first game back in almost 3 months shouldn't Kane by Clarke's own words be consistent before getting a senior gig... (btw im rapt for lambert)

Newman was average but gets recalled.....

Emerg: Dea, Menadue, Morris

The other 2 should be Lloyd and Lennon some reward for effort wouldn't go astray!!!

Chimptastic said:
Hm I don't know, perhaps there is a little added anxiety over this week's match after we didn't win our 5th in a row to 2nd on the ladder last week? Feels like the groundwork is being laid out so if we lose we can blame the coach's selections.

Maybe this is a bit simplistic, but sometimes I think in a game with about 750 possessions between 2 teams, a 5 possession difference between a Newman and a Lloyd, or an additional stuff up by 'replacement maniac' Gordon compared to a Morris' stuff up, is hardly going to significantly influence the result of the match. The same as how 2-3 bad umpiring calls doesn't significantly influence a result determined by 750 possessions.

I mean, we could pick anyone from 20-30 on our list and they'll provide the same basic performance. None of them are currently influential enough to absolutely demand their spot, for whatever reason. Yet whenever we come off a loss, people sound like they're sharpening the knives in advance over seemingly minor selection decisions. Are these decisions much greater than I realise? Because the difference between player 25 and 26 seems negligible to me, so I thought they decided based upon more intangible team factors.

This is all wrong.

There might be a vast difference between player #25 and player #26.

Player #25 might be Newman, gifted games as soon as he can run out a game and serviceable enough but no matchwinner.

Player #26 might be McDonagh, hungry for senior experience and with an unknown ceiling. His potential can be realized through hard work (tick), observable VFL form (tick), confidence (not with this selection policy) and AFL experience (ditto).

You might wanna player #25 in the hope we can jag a win, but I'd prefer player #26 in the hope that the right development can see him break into the first 22.

And yes, if Newman performs indifferently in a loss tonight, criticism of selection is entirely valid.

Coburgtiger said:
The issue here is the loss of Ellis, and the non selection of McDonough.

Ellis' class, although just sprinkled through the games, has been the tipping point between attack and stalling.
This measured, kick to kick game plan absolutely requires an Ellis for the pinpoint weighted pad at the right time. It needs the Edwards freak handball clearance to advantage. We don't have a lot of these players, and they're crucial to the win.

Agree especially on Ellis. His link up work is exceptional. Will be missed.

Chimptastic said:

This makes no sense.

It's akin to saying Cyril Rioli can't impact a game with 12 disposals in amongst 750.

It absolutely matters who is getting your possessions.

asian tetley said:
Steve Morris dropped! Wow

Newman back.oh well that's our dimma

Cant all be Ross lyon or Hinkley.

One day maybe our dima may learn enough to hold their urine sample cups.

Nah no chance.

Coburgtiger said:
This makes no sense.

It's akin to saying Cyril Rioli can't impact a game with 12 disposals in amongst 750.

It absolutely matters who is getting your possessions.

Actually you're assuming the difference is between Cyril Rioli (and his intangible impact) compared to having nothing, whereas I'm talking about the difference between 12 possessions from Newman compared to 17 possessions from McDonough.

Now unless one of our 20 - 30 players can have the brilliance of a Rioli relative to the output of another one of our 20 - 30 players, then it's your argument that makes no sense :p