Carltony | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Carltony

HeadandShin said:
I'm surprised at the early calls on Kreuzer, given his injuries to date and age (in light of the fact he's a tall)

Totally agree. He will be tearing apart the comp for years to come. Hopefully Cotchy gets his best mate to see the light.

BluesBloke said:
In fairness, it's a no-brainer which area needed to be addressed.

Kreuzer hasn't been the same since his knee reco, and has had a couple of injury niggles in other areas since. I hope in the off-season his problems become sorted out so he can get on with his footy as best he can.
Still a big risk to use pick 1 on a ruckman.
Agree though not the same since the reco so hard to say it was the wrong choice. Let's hope the chimp has no similar injury.

Agree with blooze he's been playing injured. I'm a Kreuzer fan. Still glad we took Cotch of course, but I'm still a fan. Its obvious he hasn't been right I reckon. He'll be back.

Tigers of Old said:
Still a big risk to use pick 1 on a ruckman.
Agree though not the same since the reco so hard to say it was the wrong choice. Let's hope the chimp has no similar injury.

Agree with this statement, ruckman are always risky prospects and Kreuzer is far from the complete package. It was interesting to hear Carlton rated Naitanui ahead of Kreuzer, and would have taken him if available.

Some great tanking by the Blues today.

Up by 15 midway in the last qtr and allowed 5 late goals to the Saints for the loss and earlier draft picks if we win today.

Apparently Yarran and Jud both did their hamstrings...more like Ratten's heartstrings.

Not too fussed over today's result....probably because I didn't see the game.

Can't wait for round 1 2013 with hopefully a full squad to pick from.

BluesBloke said:
Not too fussed over today's result....probably because I didn't see the game.

Can't wait for round 1 2013 with hopefully a full squad to pick from.

Was actually quite an interesting game, though not much of a spectacal. Fair bit of agro. I actually felt you ran out of legs when Judd and Yarran were forced out of it.

McLean played the best game I have seen him play for 4 years.

Streak said:
Was actually quite an interesting game, though not much of a spectacal. Fair bit of agro. I actually felt you ran out of legs when Judd and Yarran were forced out of it.

McLean played the best game I have seen him play for 4 years.
From what I hear McLean played really well.

Though the concerning thing is, even though Yarran and Judd went off, the team were still 15 in front in the last quarter...not quite a match-winning lead but still puts you in a position to put the final nails in the coffin. When genuine top four sides have teams on the ropes like that, they do not relent. Now we didn't have our best 22 out there, but it means bugger all when easy shots are missed.

12 goals 19 is unacceptable. Same s**t, different week. Last week was 20 behinds, and players missing from close range. Lose by 12. This week, lose by 15. Sums up the season in one word - frustration, and, making the same mistakes time and time again. Players vow to come out and fix their shortcomings....and it happens all over again.

I really hope leading into next season that the expectations from within the club aren't raised as high as they were this season - externally speaking, and I'm sure a lot of the wider AFL community will agree, that Carlton are not a top four team. Yes we had injuries this season, but injuries are part of the game - we had one of our worst injury years on record but it does not fully explain why the team play like millionaires some weeks, and Fitzroy 1996 other weeks. The boys produced some really exciting footy this year, but also some woeful displays.....the gap between their best and worst is much too wide. Beat Collingwood comfortably twice, lose to Port and GC, for example. Top four teams produce consistently, and that is why we are yet to reach that - and some of the players on the list have a lot to do with it.

In short, I'm bloody glad this season's over, but looking forward to the next one. Instilling Malthouse will not be a quick-fix to our problems at the club either. But I hope it's a start.

houdini said:
lets hope the aints beat them this week end and we pump port and finish above the carltank on the ladder for at least the next 50 years
we just can't finish above the bummers and carltank can we , and next year with malthouse leading the scum we will finish below them again

houdini said:
we just can't finish above the bummers and carltank can we , and next year with malthouse leading the scum we will finish below them again

No disrespect intended but ... rubbish. We will improve next year IMO. Malthouse does not guarantee them winning at all.

Carlton have come out and said they expect to be a MCG club when their current deal with Etihad expires in 2014. I wonder what this will mean for us. Where are we at with our MCG agreement?

MB78 said:
Carlton have come out and said they expect to be a MCG club when their current deal with Etihad expires in 2014. I wonder what this will mean for us. Where are we at with our MCG agreement?
hopefully we will have 20000 more members than them , so by sheer weight of numbers we need to play at the G , to accomodate everyone

MB78 said:

Typical Blues posturing and trying to divert attention from their knifing of Ratten.

tigerlee said:
No disrespect intended but ... rubbish. We will improve next year IMO. Malthouse does not guarantee them winning at all.

Malthouse wont have the same assistants at carltank as he did with the pies.
Expect them to either just make or miss the 8
ladder position 12 -8 next year

MB78 said:
Tigers are always safe at the G...but long overdue that the Blues become an MCG club. Would prefer all our home games there but that won't happen, so I'd be happy with a 7-4 split between the G and Etihad...the interstate clubs we should play at Docklands.

The Docklands deal has screwed us from start to finish. One of the biggest supporter bases in Victoria makes games less accessible for supporters. Etihad has more or less become a fully ticketed reserved seat venue. Turns people off buying memberships because for the most part, unless you're getting a reserved seat then many fail to see if it's worth it given the lack of flexibility offered to the typical supporter about who they go with, when they go etc.

This sounds ridiculous, but Melbourne's tenancy at the MCG is a joke. They cannot fill the place, you could have kick to kick in the stands if you wanted to....the place is that empty. Until they can get more along to the matches, they should compromise some of their MCG games for some Etihad ones and open up more opportunities for the other clubs with bigger supporter bases. There's a reason they're given the Queens Birthday match as a home game...it's about the only time of year that they come close to breaking 70,000.

BluesBloke i have no sympthay for you guys when it comes to stadium deals. it was a ridiculous decision by carlton to leave princess park permanently. by all means play your bigger games at the G (or etihad), but you should have kept at least 4 games there for playing the interstate teams and then offered north melbourne and footscray a sweet deal to do the same. the closing of princess park is probably the worst thing to happen to victorian clubs in the past 10 years (especially the smaller ones) because 2 stadiums in melbourne gives them virtually no flexibility when negotiating stadium deals... which is why they now go interstate for the $$$.

Ian4 said:
BluesBloke i have no sympthay for you guys when it comes to stadium deals. it was a ridiculous decision by carlton to leave princess park permanently. by all means play your bigger games at the G (or etihad), but you should have kept at least 4 games there for playing the interstate teams and then offered north melbourne and footscray a sweet deal to do the same. the closing of princess park is probably the worst thing to happen to victorian clubs in the past 10 years (especially the smaller ones) because 2 stadiums in melbourne gives them virtually no flexibility when negotiating stadium deals... which is why they now go interstate for the $$$.

You're right, it would be ideal.

But....

From memory, was Ian Collins' doing based on the club being on its knees at the time with little other alternative but to toe the AFL's line in order to survive I guess. The financial situation was that dire at the club up until about 5 years ago....received the members email from Ratten a few days ago and he spoke of how when he arrived at the club as an assistant, he had to bring a few whiteboards as the club could not afford them.

There is no reason why Princes Park couldn't be used for smaller matches these days...the surface is pristine, and could cater for the smaller crowds. Seating behind the goals up one end is non-existent but the rest is still intact. Especially considering the new stand they build in the 90s that never got a good run, but has plagued the club's debt for years.

They use it for VFL which makes for a great venue.....and with grounds like Geelong's being like it is/was, I see no reason why it wouldn't still be AFL standard.

Of course the other issue was the local council cracking the *smile* over complaints made by the local residents that the noise was a problem. Never understood that notion...surely if you moved into a home in the surroundings you'd know there would be football games held there each weekend. A bit like knowingly buying a place next to a factory then complaining about the fumes.