Carltony | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Carltony

year of the tiger said:
when was the last time the tigers got the full 8 points from the blues in a season.
2006 - close game on a Friday night at the G decided by 8 points in round five, then a belting of about 45 points later in the season at Docklands.

SCOOP said:
Great post. We still have to keep adding top end talent. No shortcut required, we have the foundations.

Free Agency and smart drafting is the way forward. Still need more from our second round onwards. I think only Shedwards has played more then 40 games of any second round pick or later since 2006.

plus King and Nahas.
jury is still out though on Astbury, Dea (i know your not a fan but still), Helbig, Arnott and O'Hanlon.
plus McBean and McDonna are certain 200 gamers. and Grimes if injury free.

hopefully we get some players out of the lot above. will improve or depth and make our drafting look a lot better.

YinnarTiger said:
When was the last time a coach was successful at his 4th club?
David Parkin comes to mind if you include his second stint at Carlton (Hawthorn, Carlton, Fitzroy, Carlton).

Not too many else, although to be fair, not too many last long enough to take on a fourth club, so the success rate would typically be low given not many have done it.

BluesBloke said:
David Parkin comes to mind if you include his second stint at Carlton (Hawthorn, Carlton, Fitzroy, Carlton).

Not too many else, although to be fair, not too many last long enough to take on a fourth club, so the success rate would typically be low given not many have done it.

There haven't been many, and it's usually ended badly. Think Hafey at Sydney, Blight at St.Kilda, Northey at Brisbane and Walls at Richmond.

Malthouse's age is a factor, I reckon. It's not seen as polite to talk about it, but most coaches are past their prime by mid-50's. Old Jock McHale coached until he was nearly 67, but the last of his 17 GF's was at 56. Malthouse broke new ground by winning the flag at 57 and turns 60 on Saturday. There have to be question marks about whether he has the energy to complete what now looks to be a more difficult job than when he started.

spook said:
Hafey was pretty successful at Sydney.

Granted, he had a better record there than I thought (61%, 4th/4th/7th). My memory of that era is Edelsten and unfettered spending on players. Certainly in that pre-salary cap era, Sydney had the biggest player spend of all the clubs.

Still, it didn't end well. Hafey reportedly lost the players and his contract wasn't renewed (= sacked).

Barrassi was successful at Sydney for what he was there to do, given the train wreck he walked into at the league's request. It wasn't about the wins; they couldn't beat an egg.

Brodders17 said:
plus King and Nahas.
jury is still out though on Astbury, Dea (i know your not a fan but still), Helbig, Arnott and O'Hanlon.

hopefully we get some players out of the lot above. will improve or depth and make our drafting look a lot better.

King and Nahas were rookie picks. SLR's which I want us to go after more. They are only success stories via the rookie list.

The rest are only questions marks. I like the Mc's & Arnorr but we can't rule them as success stories yet.

Our second, third, fourth round drafting has been very patchy.

Brodders17 said:
plus King and Nahas.

Jury out on Arnott and O'Hanlon??

spook said:
Barrassi was successful at Sydney for what he was there to do, given the train wreck he walked into at the league's request. It wasn't about the wins; they couldn't beat an egg.

Yeah, his tenure could be seen as a success. An exceptional scenario though, being an AFL appointment and all.

BluesBloke said:
Have to laugh at the attitude of a lot of the 'supporters'. 'Sack Malthouse' etc. Hate to say it but it's probably the same attitude taken for a long time around the club too...cashed up powerbrokers with more money than brains and an attitude of buying success rather than being patient and seeing results...and if a coach isn't successful in turning around years of mediocrity in culture and recruiting overnight then create a sh!tstorm until something is done. It's a cancerous attitude of the past, several times successful in a by-gone era but totally irrelevant these days. In a way I feel for Malthouse that he's got these people to deal with...it's more than the list that needs a cleanout at the Blues.

I watch enough of just about every side live to be able to enjoy the game for what it is...so while a lot of fans are tearing their hair out and calling for heads, I'll continue to enjoy the footy. Not sure why a lot of people are surprised at how the year has gone for us...knew before the season began that we wouldn't play finals, and said a few years back that the list wouldn't get anywhere near a flag. I'll continue to sign up as a member year after year and continue to show up to matches...that's what being part of a club is all about.

And before someone says it again, for the last time, no I'm not a closet Tiger, I'll just call things as I see it. :cutelaugh

Geez Bluesbloke, you are easily the most level headed Carlton supporter I've ever heard!!

It's almost unnerving!

BTW, you know you want to get on board. Its easy. Just change your name to "TigersBloke"! ;D

LeeToRainesToRoach said:
There haven't been many, and it's usually ended badly. Think Hafey at Sydney, Blight at St.Kilda, Northey at Brisbane and Walls at Richmond.

Malthouse's age is a factor, I reckon. It's not seen as polite to talk about it, but most coaches are past their prime by mid-50's. Old Jock McHale coached until he was nearly 67, but the last of his 17 GF's was at 56. Malthouse broke new ground by winning the flag at 57 and turns 60 on Saturday. There have to be question marks about whether he has the energy to complete what now looks to be a more difficult job than when he started.

Seriously? 60 this Saturday? :eek:
Let's give him a birthday retirement party to remember then ;D :partyfest

SCOOP said:
King and Nahas were rookie picks. SLR's which I want us to go after more. They are only success stories via the rookie list.

The rest are only questions marks. I like the Mc's & Arnorr but we can't rule them as success stories yet.

Our second, third, fourth round drafting has been very patchy.

yes, they are question marks, but if a couple of them make it our drafting suddenly looks pretty good.

yes tho on proven records our later drafting has been patchy. hopefully we have turned this around in recent years.

Brodders17 said:
yes.
do you think either of them have made it? or have no hope?

They both have huge hope.

Arnott is 19, O'Hanlon just turned 20 and both were drafted not even 2 years ago.

Waaaaaaaaaay too early to decide their future. They haven't even played 10 games yet.

TigerForce said:
They both have huge hope.

Arnott is 19, O'Hanlon just turned 20 and both were drafted not even 2 years ago.

Waaaaaaaaaay too early to decide their future. They haven't even played 10 games yet.
which is why the Jury is still out!!! your arguing the same point ???