Beating North melbourne | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Beating North melbourne

Leysy Days said:
Rance needs to pass Petrie over to someone and stay back patrolling if they try that.

We cant afford to leave the other two matchups alone one on one.

Reckon we all agree its nervous times if Batch/Chappy are left to there own devices against far taller opponents.
Agree Rance needs to be that one anchored around 30 metres from goal.

They tried it last week. Brown was pushing Chaplin back deep. He got on the end of a few. But there was no Waite last time. Making things even more challenging this week.

Vlas on Highins? Their fwd line is no slouch. We better be clean with our i50s otherwise rebound will kill us.

Can't believe Waite is still running around. Hoping he would have been a bust at north. He was either injured or suspended half the time at Carlton. He played well against us in our elimination final against the blues from memory.

sausage_meat69 said:
Vlas on Highins? Their fwd line is no slouch. We better be clean with our i50s otherwise rebound will kill us.
They set up from their loose man in defence and push hard with pace off half back from the likes of Atley.

That's why if fit Griffiths plays to help nullify that. Even if he doesn't we must go man on man with them in our forward half.

Problem there is it then doesn't allow us to have a spare down back which then could hurt us with their talls.

stripes17 said:
Can't believe Waite is still running around. Hoping he would have been a bust at north. He was either injured or suspended half the time at Carlton. He played well against us in our elimination final against the blues from memory.
He always seems to kick us in the nuts when he plays against us.

Smoking Aces said:
Browns vertical leap and height could cause major headaches for us. He can take a mark.
That's why all the tunnelling talk has been incredibly ill timed. It was the perfect tactic to use on these tall high leaping types. thanks for nothing Derm

If we pick griffiths, abd they don't pick Hansen, then they've got problems if we are getting high balls inside 50.
If they pick Hansen and we don't use griffiths, then they might end up a bit slow.

It's a good selection

If we do plsy griffiths, he needs to stay in one piece, and kick straight at goals.

IMO if we win clearances we will win without a real problem. If Goldstein starts throwing it up to Swallow and Cunnington then we could have a problem. I like our defense though and back them in to do well. I think North will be too slow for us and I reckon they then end up bombing a bit into the forward line which is right up Rance's alley. We need to make sure Dal Santo doesn't get much of it, and even if he does that he has no time to pick the pass so Grigg will go with him

Not sure what they will do in their defense, surely playing Thompson, Firrito, Tarrant and Hansen is too many talls and will make their defense too slow, would mean we would need to just lower our eyes a bit if they do though. Deledio probably most important player on the pitch in that case, if thats the case then Lids could be the matchwinner out there.

Just kick more damn goals than those buggers ... so want to see the Tigers stand up and smash North ... don't care how it's done ... just get it done this year.

I fear North's resting of its stars last week will prove the difference.
Having tanking legalised by the AFL's integrity department (sic) and being able to rest your stars is pure gold at the end of a long home and away season.
Part of me is pleased we didn't.
But the other part can't help feeling we'll be proven mugs for not following suit.
And if not this week, next.

17 said:
Having tanking legalised by the AFL's integrity department (sic) and being able to rest your stars is pure gold at the end of a long home and away season.
But the other part can't help feeling we'll be proven mugs for not following suit.

In terms of performance this weekend, I don't think there will be much benefit from having a 15 day compared to a 9 days break. The main benefit North would have got was avoiding any possible injuries the players they rested could have got if they played, given they had come off 2 six day breaks, and would have been at a higher risk of injury.

17 said:

Many understand your fears, 17, about this.
I guess I am backing Hardwick and the players to keep rolling their form into Sunday's game.
Don't think the Tigers are quite the complete unit yet where they can tinker too much with a successful formula.
Not resting players may cost the Tigers should they manage to go deeper into the finals, but I would rather see us hit the MCG on Sunday and then hit the Roos with all we've got now.
Reckon messing with the team last week may have had a chance of disrupting serious chances of beating North this week.
Quietly confident the Tigers will get the job done on Sunday.

17 said:

It's a catch 22. We were still an outside chance of being top 4. If that wasn't the case I think we'd have rested more but the top 4 carrot prevented it.
Personally though I think it might make a difference but only in unsettling North.
As we have seen from the bye this year, breaking momentum and continuity isn't necessarily a good thing for football teams.
We'll find out on Sunday I guess..

Bullarto Tiger said:
Just kick more damn goals than those buggers ... so want to see the Tigers stand up and smash North ... don't care how it's done ... just get it done this year.

Yep, more goals and we win. We get too worried about the opposition we forget that were a decent side, won 15 games and have our own A grade group they need to stop. Can almost kill the game off at 1/4 time if we come out to play!

stripes17 said:
That's why all the tunnelling talk has been incredibly ill timed. It was the perfect tactic to use on these tall high leaping types. thanks for nothing Derm

Not just Derm. God its in every bloody report I read. Press wont leave it alone. Hope Tigers went to Wayne Campbell to clear this up so there wont be any umpiring surprises on Sunday.

There is only one side in the top nine that North Melbourne can beat and that is Richmond.

Richmond is a fierce first to the ball team, well-drilled and very talented. The players are at the small end of the scale. KPPs, rucks and mids are at the light/short end of the scale and larger, talented smalls like Deledio, Houli and Grigg are not muscle players. Riewoldt, Grimes, Hunt, Batchelor and even Titch give away mass and physical strength in most of their contests. Maric can't get air and gives away mass and height every week. Ty has improved but he's just not physical.

As we've seen our boys overcome this usually and we win. But not against North.

North derive great clearances from their dominant ruck, defend with intelligence and discipline, and counter like a Port Adelaide. They destroyed us in Tassie on the counter. Massacre. Took em ten minutes.

They form up for the dirty dirty 2-2-B, heat our clearances and mop up across half back or, even worse for us, triple team the hotspot. (It's pretty sexy if you barrack for North.) Or they hustle inside the clearance zone and raffle our errant handball.

Our turnovers are initially brought about by actual pressure but eventually players in space imagine pressure and bomb to three North players in the hotspot. Faaaaark!!!

Logically we just turn it back on them. We hunt them, eh? Yeah well that hasn't worked as well as it should because our puny tackles don't stick. Have another look at the first half of last week and ask yourself a thousand times 'Was that supposed to be a tackle?' Their strength advantage, *smile* it.

Hardwick knows what we have to do. (We nearly got it right in Tassie but for ten minutes.) We have to play them with cold spite. They don't like it. We've done it to better sides than North. We have to target and sting individuals.

Goldstein for starters. Ziebell. Swallow. Petrie. Waite. Tarrant. Jacobs, Higgins, Nahas, Bastinac. Hunt em. Our tackles have to hurt and stick.

Cold spite. Let's *smile* this puppy.