Basketball | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Basketball

Fail National Basketball Association GIF by Indiana Pacers

Boomers :-(

Bugger. Beaten by the best player on the planet in the last 10 minutes of the game - including overtime . Jokic was amazing. Live ball turnovers - game killers.

Reactions: 1 users
Geez we simply became too predictable. Turnovers and one out rubbish. 3 up with 2 minutes left in OT. Too Paddy focused. No passing, no driving and dishing. Sad for Paddy, what a warrior and legend.

Reactions: 2 users
Geez we simply became too predictable. Turnovers and one out rubbish. 3 up with 2 minutes left in OT. Too Paddy focused. No passing, no driving and dishing. Sad for Paddy, what a warrior and legend.
Our second half looked nothing like our first half. Inexplicable. Player and ball movement just disappeared.

I don't think it was a choke. We got a big lead on the back of incredible shooting but it was never going to last. Too many turnovers and too many bad offensive plays losing to bad shots cost the win.
Turning the ball over doing the dumbest things.
Not being able to inbound a ball to try win the game?
That game was there to be won, we threw it Away. Literally.

Serbia just too good. Jokic a behemoth.
We shot the lights out in the first half. Reverted to tournament form in the second half.
Patty was great but relying on a 35 year old to get it done pretty symptomatic of the talent.
Disappointing tbh.

Reactions: 1 users
Our second half looked nothing like our first half. Inexplicable. Player and ball movement just disappeared.
Why did we stop driving/dishing/passing to create good looks?

14 Assists for the game, 20 Turnovers.

Understand there may have been some luck in creating the lead but to lose from 24 points up is a pretty spectacular loss.

And to have Delly on the floor for as many minutes as they did was dumb. To take Ingles to the Olympics was dumb. To take Kay was dumb.

Delly & Kay both missed criticial open shots - 0 form 3. Lucky they didn't take many. Delly is just about 34 and Kay 32, not the future.

McVeigh was the shooter, why give Delly 11 minutes to stink it up?

Would have preferred we got smashed from the start than suffer such a disappointing loss.

The Boomers do love the missed opportunity.

Delly got two open 3s he missed. Then he got a great o-board and then tried to reverse it in against dokic instead of kicking it out. Beyond stupid.

Also involved in multiple turnovers. Surely there were multiple NBL point guards who could have done a better job. No disrespect to him but seems a selection issue of sticking with the old guys.

I don't think it was a choke. We got a big lead on the back of incredible shooting but it was never going to last. Too many turnovers and too many bad offensive plays losing to bad shots cost the win.

ie. choking

Why did we stop driving/dishing/passing to create good looks?

14 Assists for the game, 20 Turnovers.

Understand there may have been some luck in creating the lead but to lose from 24 points up is a pretty spectacular loss.

And to have Delly on the floor for as many minutes as they did was dumb. To take Ingles to the Olympics was dumb. To take Kay was dumb.

Delly & Kay both missed criticial open shots - 0 form 3. Lucky they didn't take many. Delly is just about 34 and Kay 32, not the future.

McVeigh was the shooter, why give Delly 11 minutes to stink it up?

Would have preferred we got smashed from the start than suffer such a disappointing loss.

The Boomers do love the missed opportunity.
Hate to say it but Giddey and Mills instead of being team players in that overtime, they tried to win it themselves. There were some easy passes to teammates, but they ended up taking impossible shots or turned it over

My last thoughts on this tournament for the Boomers are that it should have been recognised at the selection stage that this was a team in transition and that the team selection should have been based on this fact.

I’m not an advocate that Matisse should have necessarily been selected although I would have been happy to have him on board. But I do believe that Luke Travers and one of Proctor, Ducas or Galloway should have got a gig.

It was obvious that the Giddey / Mills combo was not a great mesh. Principally because the coaching allowed Patty too much leeway to create off the dribble. He should have been used exclusively off ball and off the bench. Exum is in his absolute prime. He is longer and more athletic than Patty. A more consistent shot and just as savvy a driver too. A good passer. A much, much better defender. He really should have been our lead off guard. I remember being shocked at the first warm up game that Patty lined up as starting shooting guard.

Delly had his moments – but I would have given them to Proctor. Ingles was an equally bad selection. With Landale, Patty and to some extent Reath and Magnay – there was enough maturity in the team to convey the necessary calm and wisdom in tough situations. Waving towels on the side lines is for junior team members. So are taking the few moments you get and showing what your talent can deliver.

Overall, we should be proud and I am. But I can’t help think that had we been braver in our selection of the team and in the use of the players we would have done better.

Thank God for the Opals.

PS: Brondello our next senior men’s coach anyone?

Reactions: 3 users