Basketball | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Basketball

Opals have turned it around for sure from the first game I watched where they were just miserable. We seem to have some good shooters that keep us in it despite some of the horiffic turnovers that bleed points. I can't believe some of the guards driving into double teams, jumping and then turning it over - just don't have the ball control or speed you need at this level. Don't go between their legs, don't use their off hand etc - its really D grade stuff like I play in - not professional IMO. (surely you need to learn to dribble with either hand really well as a guard at olympics level)

Very tough matchup with USA - USA just don't lose and win by double digits almost every game - way too much depth and athleticism. Will need to have some kind of shooting favourable black swan event IMO to be even a chance.

Hate to say it but Giddey and Mills instead of being team players in that overtime, they tried to win it themselves. There were some easy passes to teammates, but they ended up taking impossible shots or turned it over
Agree. We stopped playing team basketball. Most teams do it, they stop passing, stop creating and rely on one out difficult shots.

Ultimately we were lucky to make overtime, it was a tough shot that Mills made to force it.

But from 24 up it should never have got that close.

Reactions: 3 users
Overall, we should be proud and I am. But I can’t help think that had we been braver in our selection of the team and in the use of the players we would have done better.

Thank God for the Opals.

PS: Brondello our next senior men’s coach anyone?
Good post, I just see it as a missed opportunity to give some younger guys exposure to international BB. Delly/Ingles/Kay are not the future did they have any ability to influence rsults at this tournament. Declining veterans.

Reactions: 1 user
My last thoughts on this tournament for the Boomers are that it should have been recognised at the selection stage that this was a team in transition and that the team selection should have been based on this fact.

I’m not an advocate that Matisse should have necessarily been selected although I would have been happy to have him on board. But I do believe that Luke Travers and one of Proctor, Ducas or Galloway should have got a gig.

It was obvious that the Giddey / Mills combo was not a great mesh. Principally because the coaching allowed Patty too much leeway to create off the dribble. He should have been used exclusively off ball and off the bench. Exum is in his absolute prime. He is longer and more athletic than Patty. A more consistent shot and just as savvy a driver too. A good passer. A much, much better defender. He really should have been our lead off guard. I remember being shocked at the first warm up game that Patty lined up as starting shooting guard.

Delly had his moments – but I would have given them to Proctor. Ingles was an equally bad selection. With Landale, Patty and to some extent Reath and Magnay – there was enough maturity in the team to convey the necessary calm and wisdom in tough situations. Waving towels on the side lines is for junior team members. So are taking the few moments you get and showing what your talent can deliver.

Overall, we should be proud and I am. But I can’t help think that had we been braver in our selection of the team and in the use of the players we would have done better.

Thank God for the Opals.

PS: Brondello our next senior men’s coach anyone?
Jeez I went too early on Brondello, questioning her as coach, she and the team have shut me up

Reactions: 1 users
Jeez I went too early on Brondello, questioning her as coach, she and the team have shut me up
Yep. Taken a bit of time to warm up, but warm up they certainly have!

Go Opals!

Boomers, you suck. :))

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
Serbia almost beat the USA. Super competitive at this level now.

Always tough when you get a big lead and blow it though but does put our performance in context too.

Delly got two open 3s he missed. Then he got a great o-board and then tried to reverse it in against dokic instead of kicking it out. Beyond stupid.

Also involved in multiple turnovers. Surely there were multiple NBL point guards who could have done a better job. No disrespect to him but seems a selection issue of sticking with the old guys.
Selection was not great overall, Delly’s best is way behind him & Ingles just went over to wave his towel. Leaving Matisse out was madness also.

Selection was not great overall, Delly’s best is way behind him & Ingles just went over to wave his towel. Leaving Matisse out was madness also.
Yeah, i dont get the selection of Ingles to be in effect a bench supporter. I can understand NBA teams doing it for long seasons with lists of 17, and when players get traded all the time so investment in kids can be a waste, but surely we could have selected someone who would actually play.
Ingles could have been a coach.

Off the back of his Olympics, Patty Mills has signed for the Jazz. A bit if a surprise I reckon. I thought his NBA days were done.

Reactions: 2 users
Yeah, i dont get the selection of Ingles to be in effect a bench supporter. I can understand NBA teams doing it for long seasons with lists of 17, and when players get traded all the time so investment in kids can be a waste, but surely we could have selected someone who would actually play.
Ingles could have been a coach.

Off the back of his Olympics, Patty Mills has signed for the Jazz. A bit if a surprise I reckon. I thought his NBA days were done.
Great for Patty to get another season & should play some minutes for Utah but like you l thought his NBA days were over.

It's not a showstopper on this forum but I'm looking forward to seeing the development of some of our home-grown talent in the Blitz this weekend and for the upcoming NBL generally. Players like Lachlan Olbrich, Ben Henshall, Taran Armstrong and Jaylin Galloway are poised for break-out seasons.