Barry Hall | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Barry Hall

Barnzy, don't think there is any doubt that we have more young player with potential than the Bulldogs..........didn;t think that was the issue.

I simply responded to the fact that the Bulldogs do have players coming through too, as well as their aging brigade which have them in the top echelon right now. They'll likely manage it without a bottoming out like us becuase they are experiencing success, and success breeds success quicker in young players than failure does.

Elmer said:
How can anyone crystal ball four years down the track in AFL? In four years time Lids might be in the Dogs midfield.

Would prefer to have the Dogs window than ours in the short to medium term.

Not arguing your 2nd statement. Dogs are within their window right now and have a great opportunity to win the flag.

You can't crystal ball 4 years ahead. That's why I prefer to use logic to come to an opinion. My opinion is that Bulldogs will find it very hard to replace the players who are due to retire over the next 2 to 4 years. And with the compromised draft it is going to be difficult to place those players with youngsters who have the most potential ie high draft picks.

Sure Deledio might be playing at the Bulldogs in 4 years time but what would they have to give up to do so? Certainly won't have the draft picks to sweeten the deal. This is the point, with the compromised draft how are the top clubs right now going to adequaely replace their aging players (well it's the same for all teams but traditionally the best performed teams are usually the most mature). This will be a bigger problem for Bulldogs due to the sheer number of older players they currently have.

Certainly won't have the draft picks to sweeten the deal. This is the point, with the compromised draft how are the top clubs right now going to adequaely replace their aging players (well it's the same for all teams but traditionally the best performed teams are usually the most mature). This will be a bigger problem for Bulldogs due to the sheer number of older players they currently have.
[/quote]

Free agency will come into play in 2012 so just when all the Doggies old guys are leaving they'll free up a big chunk of their salary cap and have a big crack at some uncontracted players.
So I can see them up the pointy end of the ladder for quite a few years yet.

Certainly won't have the draft picks to sweeten the deal. This is the point, with the compromised draft how are the top clubs right now going to adequaely replace their aging players (well it's the same for all teams but traditionally the best performed teams are usually the most mature). This will be a bigger problem for Bulldogs due to the sheer number of older players they currently have.

premiers2010 said:
Free agency will come into play in 2012 so just when all the Doggies old guys are leaving they'll free up a big chunk of their salary cap and have a big crack at some uncontracted players.

premiers2010 said:

woops don't know what happened there ???

Tigers of Old said:
You're kidding.

As a PROVEN player, nope. Griffin had 2 good games last year, thats all. He's totally lost when the game is a tough in close game. He's got potential but he's rarely achieved it.

On a side note, did anyone notice how much bigger the bulldogs players were physically than the saints? In that point alone, the saints may get into a bit of trouble when they play the physical sides this year. I was shocked to see how lean and trim some of the saints were.

IanG said:
As a PROVEN player, nope. Griffin had 2 good games last year, thats all. He's totally lost when the game is a tough in close game. He's got potential but he's rarely achieved it.

2 good games? Come on. By any objective measure he had at least 10 good games last year.

IanG said:

If Tambling is included in the arguement Griffen sure as needs to be.

Disco08 said:
2 good games? Come on. By any objective measure he had at least 10 good games last year.

Think its generally agreed that Griffen hasn't quite performed to expectation thus far but he will break out. He's a great player and reports are that he has been burning pre-season.

Agreed, he hasn't lived up to the early hype but that doesn't mean his games last year weren't any good. I saw almost every Dogs game and agree with the ratings - about half of his games were good to very good.

Leysy Days said:
If Tambling is included in the arguement Griffen sure as needs to be.

Agreed Leysy. Tambling and Griffen are very much at the same level right now.

premiers2010 said:

I don't think free agency is going to be as lucrative as you think. If anything the likes of the Bulldogs will suffer more than other larger clubs with the clout to strike up juicy third-party deals to entice the best players who make themselves available in the hunt for more money. Free agency will simply create two tiers of clubs and spell the death of a couple in the longer-term. I think the past has proven you don't win premierships by simply buying players, you have to build your team and that means an even age representation. The next 4 years will be tough for accumulating quality youngsters.

Tigers of Old said:
Spot on heck if Griffin isn't a yard stick of 'proven' where does that leave Cotchin relatively?

He aint proven either, neither is Tambling. All have potential, none have shown that they will be good players on a consistent basis year after year. I dunno maybe I'm using a different definition of proven to you guys.

Did anyone get to see todays game? How did Barry and the Doggies perform?

tigertim said:
Did anyone get to see todays game? How did Barry and the Doggies perform?

Dogs were quite poor in patches today, they found themselves down very early and were playing catch up the whole game. Looked to have collingwoods measure in the 2nd quarter but couldnt manage to hit the front. Barry looked somewhat dangerous, kicked 3 but missed a few chances too, was a bit of a scuffle when he accidentally collected wellingham and knocked him out, brown came in and remonstrated and I thought/hoped Barry was about to throw his fist....instead he slid his fist across browns face and walked away. Overall the pies were very good today, only round 1 but they have so many dangerous players, Swan absolutely murdered them and kicked the sealing goals in the 4th, I think they ended up kicking nearly 20 goals, they have a lot of players capable of bobbing up and kicking goals so they're definitely a genuine threat. As for the dogs, I've no doubt they will bounce back next week although it was quite a greulling running game today so hopefully theyre a bit battered, bruised and tired. Cooney was impressive as always, hudson in the ruck was very good. Their backline just didn't seem up to it today, they must have very serious doubts on Tom Williams now, he was on cloke and while he didn't get killed by cloke, he just seemed to lack confidence to do anything but kill the ball. Overall, it was a great game and highly skilled, the dogs will definitely be up for it next week, I just hope we can contain them and avoid a blow out.