Atheism | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Atheism

sheesh a bloke needs to come over to the general section more often.
not a bad thread havent read from go to whoa but personally im neither a believer or non believer.if that makes sense.
im what you may call a theist someone who believes theres a god but does not believe in religion.
do we need a separate thread for us common sense types.

the claw said:
im what you may call a theist someone who believes theres a god but does not believe in religion.

You mean you don't believe in a particular religion (eg. Christianity, Hinduism etc..) because if you believe in a God you are religious.
Maybe it should be called Clawism or Clawtholic?

the claw said:
sheesh a bloke needs to come over to the general section more often.
not a bad thread havent read from go to whoa but personally im neither a believer or non believer.if that makes sense.
do we need a separate thread for us common sense types.

Welcome to the fun mate!

Let me bring you up to speed:

Christianity Thread - for dumping on Jayfox and Djevv
Athiest Thread - for dumping on Disco, Panthera, Evo, Sixer

Personally I like to jump between the two, because why limit yourself to ragging on only one group ;D

Seriously though, they are both more "religious" threads than strictly Christian/Athiest, so feel free to throw in your 5c

So what are you if:

1) you were brought up Catholic, was an alter boy and attended Mass every week (and twice a week during secondary school.)

2) you no longer believe most of the stuff in the Bible (stuff that was rammed down my throat as being the unquestionable truth.)

3) you still believe there's probably some sort of higher being; at least for my own peace of mind, I hope there is.

4) my own life experiences lead me to question even this at times.

5) don't particularly like what religion as a whole does to the people of the world.

I don't particularly know where I stand anymore, but this thread continues to be a good read.

Freezer you have come to the right place. Welcome aboard. We will battle over yr soul here (whatever that is)

Freezer said:
So what are you if:

1) you were brought up Catholic, was an alter boy and attended Mass every week (and twice a week during secondary school.)

2) you no longer believe most of the stuff in the Bible (stuff that was rammed down my throat as being the unquestionable truth.)

3) you still believe there's probably some sort of higher being; at least for my own peace of mind, I hope there is.

4) my own life experiences lead me to question even this at times.

5) don't particularly like what religion as a whole does to the people of the world.

I don't particularly know where I stand anymore, but this thread continues to be a good read.

Hi Freezer, I know how you feel.

Church in and of itself cannot satisfy the Human soul but God can if we look to him through his son Jesus. Now all the naysayers here will dispute this, but when I was 23 I had a dramatic spiritual encounter with Jesus and it totally transformed the meaning of my life. Welcome to this section and as the bible says seek and you shall find.

antman said:
I see you are familiar with the "copy" and "paste" facility of most web browsers. http://www.carm.org/atheism/atheistmistakes.htm

Science does not explain everything. I am an atheist and I too can appreciate love, a sunset, a good pint of beer and whatever. Big deal. Christians don't have a monopoly on the beauty of the world and the universe around us.

Certainly not Antman christians dont have a monoploy, but God does! He is very generous too.

Tiger74 said:
You live without want, desire, suffering etc. You achieve nirvana.

Its a path, and for most its a very long one.

so what is at the ned of the path?

tigertime2 said:
I was 23 I had a dramatic spiritual encounter with Jesus and it totally transformed the meaning of my life. Welcome to this section and as the bible says seek and you shall find.

So tigertime, it's fair to assume that you're certain that every person that has had a religious experience that had nothing to do with Jesus is deluding themselves?

tigertime2 said:
Certainly not Antman christians dont have a monoploy, but God does! He is very generous too.

What about the ugly stuff like wars and disease? Does God's monopoly include those too?

Tigers of Old said:
Just curious at what point in their lives jayfox, Djevv & tigertime2 found their enlightenment in God/religion?
Were they formed their beliefs from very early in life(say childhood) or whether they came to it later?

Just wondering how much of this 'belief' is due to conditioning.

Seems to me it has a pretty big part to play in the religious process.

I was 23 not even looking for God.

Six Pack said:
Hey TT2 can i ask about yr comment re the bible. Do you believe everything in it to be the inspired word of god? or are there dodgy bits?

We have thrashed about with this and it seems that some christians believe all of it, some pick and choose.

I believe the whole Bible in context.

antman said:
I see you are familiar with the "copy" and "paste" facility of most web browsers. http://www.carm.org/atheism/atheistmistakes.htm

Science does not explain everything. I am an atheist and I too can appreciate love, a sunset, a good pint of beer and whatever. Big deal. Christians don't have a monopoly on the beauty of the world and the universe around us.

Great site isn't it? i am sorry I did not put the link to the site for all the learned gentlemen on here to view, please accept my apology, I will be more diligent next time.

Six Pack said:
can u clarify this for me?

I am a fast learner Sixpack and your questions are loaded, I dont know what with yet, but just hit me with what ever it is that you want too so we dont waste each others time.