Atheism | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Atheism

Six Pack said:
Canwe get back to this idea of whether it is right or wrong to tell a lie?

This is a curious thing. It depends on perception and what the nature of truth is.

For me, if Disco's Nan cooked a crappy roast, well i would probably thank her for it and tell her it was nice. But that's not a lie really. I consider lies to be about more substantial things than an opinion on a roast.

And of course its alright to lie sometimes. Sometimes you have to.

As for God and lying, whats the bible say, Jay?

I largely agree with you Sucksback. Disco says that less harm is caused by lying sometimes but what happens if you say you like the roast so she cooks it every time you come over from then on? Then plenty of harm is caused to your tastebuds and you would no longer look forward to going to Nan's for dinner. Perhaps telling the truth or diverting your true opinions would be better. For example, "I enjoy any meal that I get to have with you Nan and the roast was good to try for a change, but I do prefer your meatloaf."

No lie told, as it was good to try to work out whether you would ever want to eat it again but you have made it clear that meatloaf is your preferred meal without actually insulting your Nan. C'mon guys, it's so easy.

jayfox said:
Yeah, My Nan is 94 and still of very sound mind too. And she's a committed Christian.

Mrs Jayfox's Nan lived to 101 and was of very sound mind until she passed away. Again, committed Christian. I think it just goes to show that God doesn't play favourites whilst we are here on Earth.

Or, that genetics and behaviour have a lot greater impact on longevity than belief systems (or lack thereof).

Yeah but what about it's ok to lie 'sometimes.'

And the nature of truth?

See, i dont really believe in the concept of 'truth' so it makes it difficult for me, or maybe easy; i dunno. Evo tell me what to think!!!

Panthera tigris FC said:
Or, that genetics and behaviour have a lot greater impact on longevity than belief systems (or lack thereof).

I'd agree with that completely.

jayfox said:
Is this an attack on a poster or series of posters with particular beliefs? I am asking Disco and Rosy seriously because I want to know where the boundaries are? Is calling someone weak minded because of their beliefs acceptable, when they are clearly as or, in some people's cases, far more intelligent and strong minded than the poster making the accusation? Or is it heading towards religious discrimination? Serious question.

Serious question as well.

How is anyone being discriminated against in this thread?

Discrimination would require some impact on you for (in this case) your faith-based beliefs.

How anyone could cry foul reeks of looking for an easy way out.

You can ignore the poster, as may be wise in this situation as the poster did not justify their position, or you can deal with the content of the post. However, to cry "discrimination" when someone questions your beliefs is soft. :)

Six Pack said:
Yeah but what about it's ok to lie 'sometimes.'

And the nature of truth?

See, i dont really believe in the concept of 'truth' so it makes it difficult for me, or maybe easy; i dunno. Evo tell me what to think!!!

On the subject of lying,personally i tell people the truth wherever possible,it seems to me a good policy. If nans roast sucked ,i tell her so, politely but truthfully.

If people can't handle the truth thats a problem of their ego.

evo said:
On the subject of lying,personally i tell people the truth wherever possible,it seems to me a good policy. If nans roast sucked ,i tell her so, politely but truthfully.

If people can't handle the truth thats a problem of their ego.

Well said. Agree.

News flash..amendment to the rules.

Thou shalt not lie...unless it's to your Granny or to members of a public website. :hihi

On the issue of lying, I'm still waiting for the Christians to explain why if lying is a sin and abhorrent to God it's OK for Christian apologists, theologists and Intelligent Design protagonists to lie rather than present intellectually honest arguments.

I constantly wonder that too antman.

Intellectual dishonesty is one of the worst 'sins' in my view.

What could harm the 'soul' more than lying to oneself?

rosy23 said:
News flash..amendment to the rules.

Thou shalt not lie...unless it's to your Granny or to members of a public website. :hihi

i have to admit i have lied to Rosy on numerous occasions but it was the only way i could get back on PRE. is that a sin that god would punish me for? or is Rosy's wrath sufficient enough? :-\

antman said:
On the issue of lying, I'm still waiting for the Christians to explain why if lying is a sin and abhorrent to God it's OK for Christian apologists, theologists and Intelligent Design protagonists to lie rather than present intellectually honest arguments.

It is something that interests me as well antman.

Does shoddy scholarship and, thus ignorance constitute lying?

I am being kind in asking that question. In many cases it is either that, or blatant dishonesty that explains the writings of apologists, theologians and IDiots (sorry..couldn't help myself).

Six Pack said:
i have to admit i have lied to Rosy on numerous occasions but it was the only way i could get back on PRE. is that a sin that god would punish me for? or is Rosy's wrath sufficient enough? :-\

Prepare thyself for hell sixer >:D.

Panthera tigris FC said:
How anyone could cry foul reeks of looking for an easy way out.

I honestly can't understand this comment at all. If I was looking for an easy way out why would I have stayed posting on this topic for over 500 pages? Seriously? I want you to answer that? The easy way out would be to stop posting and ignore this thread. ::)