Atheism | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Atheism

tigertime2 said:
OH MY OH MY another whacko creationist!

John Lennox is professor of mathematics and fellow in the philosophy of science at Oxford University.

You've clearly never worked at a university if you think being a professor is a guarantee of infallability. :hihi

All due respect to the learned professor, but professors of mathematics have a bad rep and philosophy of science draws nuts like flies to shyte. I know, I've actually done a fair bit of philosophy of science myself :hihi This guy has done the double!!!

As I learnt in my research method classes, "never trust someone and their opinion just because they are professor of such-and-such". Same applies to books - not that hard to get a book printed if you are determined enough. As for websites, we've already seen the quality of material produced by Djevv and others. Just because it's on the web doesn't make it true people.

As always, consider the evidence and make your own judgement.

antman said:
You've clearly never worked at a university if you think being a professor is a guarantee of infallability. :hihi

All due respect to the learned professor, but professors of mathematics have a bad rep and philosophy of science draws nuts like flies to shyte. I know, I've actually done a fair bit of philosophy of science myself :hihi This guy has done the double!!!

As I learnt in my research method classes, "never trust someone and their opinion just because they are professor of such-and-such". Same applies to books - not that hard to get a book printed if you are determined enough. As for websites, we've already seen the quality of material produced by Djevv and others. Just because it's on the web doesn't make it true people.

As always, consider the evidence and make your own judgement.

Well said Antman. This is why peer review is a cornerstone of the scientific method. Not that it filters out all of the crap, one still must have a critical eye, but it certainly helps!

Therefore, the seeker after the truth is not one who studies the writings of the ancients and, following his natural disposition, puts his trust in them, but rather the one who suspects his faith in them and questions what he gathers from them, the one who submits to argument and demonstration, and not to the sayings of a human being whose nature is fraught with all kinds of imperfection and deficiency. Thus the duty of the man who investigates the writings of scientists, if learning the truth is his goal, is to make himself an enemy of all that he reads, and, applying his mind to the core and margins of its content, attack it from every side. He should also suspect himself as he performs his critical examination of it, so that he may avoid falling into either prejudice or leniency.
- Ibn al-Haytham

antman said:
This is what is so interesting to me - or would be, if it wasn't so sad.

Christians are all about the honest worship of God, but are not above distorting the truth, ignoring the facts and actually being downright dishonest about science and history. Often many are not aware of the genesis (boom boom) of many of the myths but just accept them as they are handed down.

There is also the obvious self-delusion, but we'll leave that aside for now.

Is lying for God OK? There is a long, long tradition of it. Our boys are simply part of that ongoing tradition - websites that masquerade as "science" as a front for Christian apology are only the digital manifestation.

Lying is never okay, regardless of the situation. It is a sin and therefore abhorrent to God.

Is it abhorrent to lie to someone about their hair looking nice to try and brighten their spirits? How about to tell your nan that you really enjoyed her roast even though it was horrible?

rosy23 said:
All I can say to you comment in ignorance and probably wouldn't have a clue about the mind games certain people go on with behind the scenes on PRE.
Couldn't agree more. Some people's behaviour is very ordinary.

rosy23 said:
It's one thing to preach to others but it seems an entirely different matter to practice it.

Couldn't agree more. Hypocrisy is very insulting and very frustrating. That's why I try to be as transparent and honest as possible in these discussions.

Disco08 said:
Is it abhorrent to lie to someone about their hair looking nice to try and brighten their spirits? How about to tell your nan that you really enjoyed her roast even though it was horrible?

Ha, ha, ha. That's funny stuff Nabisco! Dunno about those to be honest but I would suggest that even if it tastes poorly you should enjoy your Nan's roast anyway because you know the effort that she has been to to make it and how much she enjoys your company. If that's the case then it's not a lie anyway. You really have enjoyed having a roast with her!

You know what I mean though Jay. There's any number of situations where the truth can do far more harm than good for no purpose, so lying in those situations wouldn't be all that bad surely, given the other creeds we're supposed to be observing. :)

Disco08 said:
It's not wrong in my eyes tigertime, it's simply wrong. If you disagre, tell me how scientific evidence can support either theism or naturalism.

BTW, you seem to post very emotively - lots of capitals, over-use of exclamations and smileys etc. Do you have trouble discussing this topic calmly?

No problem at all Disco. we just seem to go over and over and over the same ground and I did not know you were a moderator until today - kind of explains why the anti-christian slant on here is allowed to run free.

Six Pack said:
Atheists - 10
Christians - 0

They've had a bad day today. belted by Disco and Pants, also Rosy got stuck in. I plodded along and probably broke even.

Go the Non-believers! :clap :clap :clap

Judge Jury and exectioner.

tigertime2 said:
No problem at all Disco. we just seem to go over and over and over the same ground and I did not know you were a moderator until today - kind of explains why the anti-christian slant on here is allowed to run free.

Sorry, but this is a very childish thing to say. If you have a problem with any of the posts here or you think some are against the site guidelines, point them out or report them. :-\

Disco08 said:
You know what I mean though Jay. There's any number of situations where the truth can do far more harm than good for no purpose, so lying in those situations wouldn't be all that bad surely, given the other creeds we're supposed to be observing. :)

See that's the thing about God. If you say that "so lying in those situations wouldn't be all that bad surely" then that is a compromise from a perfect standard. And where does that stop? Surely sleeping with my girlfriend is okay given the other creeds we're supposed to be observing? Surely taking drugs for my own personal use is okay given the other creeds we're supposed to be observing? No, with God it is a perfect standard which allows no room for contamination. It may be difficult in some circumstances but I would suggest that you can be tactful and use smarter phrases to avoid having to lie in those situations. "Did you enjoy my roast love?" Nan, I always enjoy having dinner with you. I love your company and thanks so much for preparing it for me."

Disco08 said:
Sorry, but this is a very childish thing to say. If you have a problem with any of the posts here or you think some are against the site guidelines, point them out or report them. :-\

I seriously do not have enough time to report all the offensive material on this thread. I have sent a link of the thread to the Equal Opportunity Commision.

Disco08 said:

I reckon that there are posts on nearly every thread that go against site guidelines but they are left there. I don't have a problem with this, I am just saying that there is obviously a tolerance isn't there? There is a very attacking emphasis on some of the posts in here which gets me frustrated at times but this is a very emotional topic so it is hard not to bring emotion into it.

jayfox said:
See that's the thing about God. If you say that "so lying in those situations wouldn't be all that bad surely" then that is a compromise from a perfect standard. And where does that stop? Surely sleeping with my girlfriend is okay given the other creeds we're supposed to be observing? Surely taking drugs for my own personal use is okay given the other creeds we're supposed to be observing? No, with God it is a perfect standard which allows no room for contamination. It may be difficult in some circumstances but I would suggest that you can be tactful and use smarter phrases to avoid having to lie in those situations. "Did you enjoy my roast love?" Nan, I always enjoy having dinner with you. I love your company and thanks so much for preparing it for me."

'Yes, but what did you think of the lamb Disco, did it taste nice?'

As I said, if we're trying to follow other directives like the golden rule, then sometimes things aren't at all straight forward. So thanks very much for the lessons in tact, but they really weren't necessary mate.

tigertime2 said:
I seriously do not have enough time to report all the offensive material on this thread. I have sent a link of the thread to the Equal Opportunity Commision.

I'm not sure if you're being serious or joking. Not that it matters, it's pretty funny either way.

jayfox said:
I reckon that there are posts on nearly every thread that go against site guidelines but they are left there. I don't have a problem with this, I am just saying that there is obviously a tolerance isn't there? There is a very attacking emphasis on some of the posts in here which gets me frustrated at times but this is a very emotional topic so it is hard not to bring emotion into it.

I would say you are right, there is a tolerance. However anything overtly against the rules or anything found offensive by other posters is removed. That's what the report function is for.

Disco08 said:
What're your thoughts on the matter willo?
Confusing. Good points made by all. Brought up in a strict RC family in my younger days, but am now a lapsed "sinner", don't worship. Do my best though, by my fellow man. Hope it counts for something.