Atheism | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Atheism

willo said:
Confusing. Good points made by all. Brought up in a strict RC family in my younger days, but am now a lapsed "sinner", don't worship. Do my best though, by my fellow man. Hope it counts for something.

I reckon that's a pretty common scenario.

willo said:
Confusing. Good points made by all. Brought up in a strict RC family in my younger days, but am now a lapsed "sinner", don't worship. Do my best though, by my fellow man. Hope it counts for something.

I'm sure from the people you come in contact with's perspective it counts for plenty. :)

You obviously know a bit about The Bible from your upbringing. What do you think of stories like Noah's Ark and The Garden Of Eden. Real or metaphoric?

Disco08 said:
I'm sure from the people you come in contact with's perspective it counts for plenty. :)

You obviously know a bit about The Bible from your upbringing. What do you think of stories like Noah's Ark and The Garden Of Eden. Real or metaphoric?

Now that is a seriously loaded question.

Disco08 said:
'I've never cooked it before Disco, what drugs are you on?'

"Sorry Nan, What I meant was it was as delicious as every other meal that you've cooked for me. Oh, I don't want to talk about my drug abuse Nan. It's clearly an issue though as you'd know if you have ever read some of posts on PRE" ;D

:cutelaugh

Nice try. I'm lying though. All of Nan's other meals are actually delicious, it's just this one was disgusting.

tigertime2 said:
No problem at all Disco. we just seem to go over and over and over the same ground and I did not know you were a moderator until today - kind of explains why the anti-christian slant on here is allowed to run free.

Have you looked at the title of this thread?

Do you have a problem with open discussion on the matter?

tigertime2 said:
I seriously do not have enough time to report all the offensive material on this thread. I have sent a link of the thread to the Equal Opportunity Commision.

Righteous indignation. Good to see. We really haven't had enough of it, considering the topic.

In all seriousness though, what exactly have you found offensive?

Disco08 said:
:cutelaugh

Nice try. I'm lying though. All of Nan's other meals are actually delicious, it's just this one was disgusting.

Okay then. "It was nice to try for a change but you know I'm a sucker for your meatloaf."

jayfox said:
There is a very attacking emphasis on some of the posts in here which gets me frustrated at times ..

An attacking emphasis on posts is different to an attacking emphasis on the actual poster. Great debates are full of attack on what's said by the opposition.

tigertime2 said:
No problem at all Disco. we just seem to go over and over and over the same ground and I did not know you were a moderator until today - kind of explains why the anti-christian slant on here is allowed to run free.

I'm a moderator too and I don't think it's the Mods business to censor other peoples' thoughts. Our only concern, other than from a legal aspect, is the way opinions are expressed.

As has been said, this is the Atheist thread so you'd expect an anti-Christian slant by some people. There is debate on most threads of the site where people with opposing view points put across their own opinions.

As for 6 pack don't believe him willo. He says Atheists 10 Christians 0...but he doesn't mention the agnostics....or agnostic, singular, if I'm the only one keeping an open mind about all different religions.

"Atheists 10...in the middle agnostic rosy who doesn't score...Christians 0" has a more accurate ring to it. :hihi

rosy23 said:
As for 6 pack don't believe him willo. He says Atheists 10 Christians 0...but he doesn't mention the agnostics....or agnostic, singular, if I'm the only one keeping an open mind about all different religions.

"Atheists 10...in the middle agnostic rosy who doesn't score...Christians 0" has a more accurate ring to it. :hihi

Pedant alert.

Just so it is clear....one can be an atheist and still have an open mind on the matter.

Looking at the available evidence I have come to the conclusion that the probability of the existence of a higher being is so low as to be negligible. Thus, I consider myself an atheist.

However, I am willing to shift that view if the evidence so dictated.

That is my opinion, anyway. :)

My Nan is 95 ,Mrs Evo's Nan is 96--both atheists,both alive and kicken' and of fairly sound mind

Empirical proof healthy skepticism,keeps one.....well....healthy. :)

tigertime2 said:
Really? someone does not think like you so they should be censored?? REALLY? It is wrong in your eyes Disco, but not obviously to many many others including the Professor who wrote the article from Oxford.

herein lies why this thread is pointless. Disco is correct, but getting it through the heads of god botherers is futile. the quote misrepresents the truth. Science is based on evidence, religion is based on faith, full stop.

Religion is a refuge for the weak minded.

tigersnake said:
herein lies why this thread is pointless. Disco is correct, but getting it through the heads of god botherers is futile. the quote misrepresents the truth. Science is based on evidence, religion is based on faith, full stop.

Religion is a refuge for the weak minded.

Is this an attack on a poster or series of posters with particular beliefs? I am asking Disco and Rosy seriously because I want to know where the boundaries are? Is calling someone weak minded because of their beliefs acceptable, when they are clearly as or, in some people's cases, far more intelligent and strong minded than the poster making the accusation? Or is it heading towards religious discrimination? Serious question.

Canwe get back to this idea of whether it is right or wrong to tell a lie?

This is a curious thing. It depends on perception and what the nature of truth is.

For me, if Disco's Nan cooked a crappy roast, well i would probably thank her for it and tell her it was nice. But that's not a lie really. I consider lies to be about more substantial things than an opinion on a roast.

And of course its alright to lie sometimes. Sometimes you have to.

As for God and lying, whats the bible say, Jay?

evo said:
My Nan is 95 ,Mrs Evo's Nan is 96--both atheists,both alive and kicken' and of fairly sound mind

Empirical proof healthy skepticism,keeps one.....well....healthy. :)

Yeah, My Nan is 94 and still of very sound mind too. And she's a committed Christian.

Mrs Jayfox's Nan lived to 101 and was of very sound mind until she passed away. Again, committed Christian. I think it just goes to show that God doesn't play favourites whilst we are here on Earth.