Are we going to win the 2024 wooden spoon? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Are we going to win the 2024 wooden spoon?

Are we going to win the 2024 wooden spoon?

• Yes

• No

• Too early to say

• Cheese Sandwich

Results are only viewable after voting.
I had the feeling Frank loved Jack, but thought Brown and Frawley was a chance too if he made it to us (Frank was worried Jack would be gone by then). I'd forgotten all about Sellers....
They liked Selwood too, but thought he would be gone. They also thought he'd spend his whole career in an altered training regime. They also rated Everitt's skills but thought he was a potential know who was coached what to say but his brother. Eg when asked his weakness, he answered kicking, which was one of his strengths.

Phantom did good pushing to get those things organised.
Yeah they did have some options and I can recall Frawley. Not Brown so much, but I just remember the interchange between Frank and Greg on Jack and the look on Frank's face. That to me was telling.

I think you're being kind on Everitt. I recall a far more "negative" view on his attitude. Yeah they acknowledged a few years later that Geelong managed to hoodwink everyone on Selwood's knee issues. There was some intel also at the time of a Hawks briefing that said they (the Hawks) doubted Selwood would last 3 seasons.

Agree that Phantom did well in getting that set up.

I hate to use Carlton as an example but apart from the high draft picks they have built a team with money ball picks. Holland, Saad, Newman, Acres etc. We need to get active in this space.
The money ball picks are the ones you get to fill in a couple of gaps when you already have the core of a very good side in it's prime. Just as we did with Nank, Presty, Cadds.
Right now we're nowhere near having that core of premium talent that just needs a little hole plugging to allow us to be contenders, so the last thing we should be chasing is money ball.

A few of us got briefed about 2 weeks before that draft. Greg Miller, Francis Jackson and Hayden Hill briefing about 30 Captains Club/Titus Ton Up Coterie members. They ranked about 6 group of players. I left that night fully understanding that we were taking Jack Riewoldt and Shane Edwards. The only other option they would consider as a tall was Ben Reid but they felt he would be too mature/advanced for where we were at list wise..

There's a thread somewhere in the archives that reveals this about a month after said draft. Jackson would have taken Jack at 8 and was not happy with Greg over the trade for Polak.
All good never knew that. Have to say though i would be greatly surprised if any clubs drafters would reveal who their main targets were before any draft.

At the end of the day we traded 8 for 13 and then hoped our target would still be there. Not very smart imo.

Yeah they did have some options and I can recall Frawley. Not Brown so much, but I just remember the interchange between Frank and Greg on Jack and the look on Frank's face. That to me was telling.

I think you're being kind on Everitt. I recall a far more "negative" view on his attitude. Yeah they acknowledged a few years later that Geelong managed to hoodwink everyone on Selwood's knee issues. There was some intel also at the time of a Hawks briefing that said they (the Hawks) doubted Selwood would last 3 seasons.

Agree that Phantom did well in getting that set up.
I remember reading that Jackson wasn’t happy about moving from 8 to 13, because he had it earmarked for Jack. We were lucky that no one else picked him. Hawks went for Thorp and the Pies for Reid.

Reactions: 1 user
Spoon shmoon…no one cares as much nowadays, as you actually get rewarded for finishing last. Don’t care in the slightest for this year now.

#starttherebuild

I remember reading that Jackson wasn’t happy about moving from 8 to 13, because he had it earmarked for Jack. We were lucky that no one else picked him. Hawks went for Thorp and the Pies for Reid.
Frank said he relaxed when he went to the TFL seniors grand final to watch Jack and there wasn't another recruiter there.

If you're going to have a season from hell, may as well finish last.

Actually think we need the draft picks. Our list looks very thin under 25.

We'll need to nail them too over the next couple of drafts.

Reactions: 2 users
The last wooden spooners to win a premiership was West Coast 2010 spoon 2018 premiers, Melbourne 2009 2021, Richmond 2007 2017, Bulldogs 2003 2016.

We can expect a decent wait for potential premiership glory again. I just can't support wanting to finish last.

We've got plenty of informed commentary on PRE about the value of draft picks in 2024.

On an objective level, benchmarked, there are midfielders in this draft who were competitive as 16yos against Harley Reid, Colby McKercher et al. Draper and Ashcroft were winning at the level. The quality of mid in this draft is franked.

The difference between pick #2 and pick #8 is huge any year. We could wind up with either. Talls can be volatile. But mids are more easily measured in the main. It'd be hard to bust pick #2. Or #1 if we're unlucky for the 2000th time this year.

Reactions: 1 users
The last wooden spooners to win a premiership was West Coast 2010 spoon 2018 premiers, Melbourne 2009 2021, Richmond 2007 2017, Bulldogs 2003 2016.

We can expect a decent wait for potential premiership glory again. I just can't support wanting to finish last.
8 - 10 - 12 - 13 years from spoon to flag for these four n obviously there's some growth n finals lead up to a flag so it's not an absolute nightmare scenario.
Nobody ever wants to finish last but some poor bugger has to every single year. If it's got to be our turn, we simply suck up the inevitable n hope like hell that those in charge get the list refresh / restructure right n we come back hard.
At least we got as many flags as these other mobs combined so we made the bounce worthwhile.

We could very well finish last - yet our list is at least 8-12 territory except injuries have cruelled our year. I think we can finish last then rebound to a flag in 5 years.

You may prefer this one, TM-

Good one! In the town I grew up in the Chemist used to attend the local and after a long stint at the bar would pull out the spoons to play. the only challenge was he was a mad Blues supporter. so he would play the Carlton theme song on the spoons.

Good one! In the town I grew up in the Chemist used to attend the local and after a long stint at the bar would pull out the spoons to play. the only challenge was he was a mad Blues supporter. so he would play the Carlton theme song on the spoons.
Ew, Lily of Laguna. What a waste of talent, tt2.

We could very well finish last - yet our list is at least 8-12 territory except injuries have cruelled our year. I think we can finish last then rebound to a flag in 5 years.
If you read some of the scribes, other teams get cruelled by injury whereas we are just unlucky. After all, we only have had around fourteen or more top players out throughout the season so it would have to be much worse for us to be cruelled by the injury gods

8-12 territory is realistically due to our gun oldie players still on the list. I find it hard to see how we pick up the quality of Reiwoldt, Dusty, Lynch, Grimes, Cotch, Prestia, Edwards within 5 years. And particularly if a Bolton and Rioli (and even Baker) moves on. It means we're playing competitively in finals again in 2-3 years. Finishing last goes against the grain of winning a premiership again within 8 years at best. 10 years seems to be a reasonable outcome. Last to do it quickly was Brisbane 1998 spoon 2001 premiership but that was just after Fitzroy moved north and we know the ridiculous number of concessions they received, so contrived they won three years in a row.