Are There Too Many Risks Associated with Drafting Indigenous Footballers? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Are There Too Many Risks Associated with Drafting Indigenous Footballers?

Disco08 said:
Why? Talking about it is far more likely to bring about change than shoving it in the cupboard.

The gist of the thread initially, before we all argued about its merit as a thread, is racist. Therefore should be removed.

TigerForce said:
Exactly right, but the gist of a question & political correctness never seem to match.

Problem here is that most answers would come up as racist depending on how they are expressed.

Take the arguement away from race and discuss if it is inherently risky to recruit a kid from Alice Springs who has had trouble with the law.

Total Tiger said:
Take the arguement away from race and discuss if it is inherently risky to recruit a kid from Alice Springs who has had trouble with the law.

The answer to that would definitely be yes no matter what race, religion etc..

Disco08 said:
That was the gist of gdog's question though right? Perhaps if we just stuck to answering it we could come to the conclusion that very few of us are stupid enough to believe that the entire indigenous population is predisposed to antisocial behaviour and move on.

Yes, Disco, I do agree that that was the risk of gdog's original question, but I just think that the new title is actually worse for those who are politically correct minded.

And by the way, I believe in freedom of speech, and so unless someone posts something that is libelous, I have no problem with what is discussed, even if I don't find it palatable.

Total Tiger said:
The gist of the thread initially, before we all argued about its merit as a thread, is racist. Therefore should be removed

Disagree. I think it is better to defeat the racism than delete it.

The problem with political correctness is that it gives some people / a group a chance to 'make a gain' if it's taken legally even if deep down inside they don't feel emotionally hurt.

It's probably best to start using disclaimers in topics / issues that need to be discussed, just like movies do when they show the credits in the end.

TigerForce said:
The answer to that would definitely be yes no matter what race, religion etc..

So let's discuss that and what the club and the boy's own family could do to prevent what allegedly happened on New Year's Day from happening again.

mld said:
Disagree. I think it is better to defeat the racism than delete it.

The sentiment is worthy, but unfortunately in the end I think we all get tainted by it.

Total Tiger said:
So let's discuss that and what the club and the boy's own family could do to prevent what allegedly happened on New Year's Day from happening again.

The point of this topic is about 'troublesome' indigenous footballers as a whole not someone individually. It's based on facts, that in recent years, there have been a number of indigenous players get into trouble off-field.

There is simply no racist overtone in this topic. Looks like the original poster just didn't express it properly and Disco08 made an adjustment.

TigerForce said:
The point of this topic is about 'troublesome' indigenous footballers as a whole not someone individually. It's based on facts, that in recent years, there have been a number of indigenous players get into trouble off-field.

There is simply no racist overtone in this topic. Looks like the original poster just didn't express it properly and Disco08 made an adjustment.

Here we go again. There are also plenty of non-indigenous players getting into trouble off-field.

I'm sorry, but you can't make such a statement and then say that there is no racist overtone in it.

Total Tiger said:
The sentiment is worthy, but unfortunately in the end I think we all get tainted by it.

Disagree. Just about every person who's contributed on this thread has denounced the original premise, albeit in differing ways. Anyone reading this thread would have to be completely daft to think we all think the answer to the question is "yes".

Total Tiger said:
Here we go again. There are also plenty of non-indigenous players getting into trouble off-field.

Of course there are and in that case, anyone could simply start a thread in "Are There Inherent Risks Associated with Drafting non-Indigenous Footballers?"

Disco08 said:
Disagree. Just about every person who's contributed on this thread has denounced the original premise, albeit in differing ways. Anyone reading this thread would have to be completely daft to think we all think the answer to the question is "yes".

Just about, but not all. And PRE is providing the public forum for those few who agree with the inital premise. PRE, and hence it's members, get tainted my that.

TigerForce said:
Of course there are and in that case, anyone could simply start a thread in "Are There Inherent Risks Associated with Drafting non-Indigenous Footballers?"

Why must a player's race determine if there is an inherent risk to recruit him or not?

Total Tiger said:
Just about, but not all. And PRE is providing the public forum for those few who agree with the inital premise. PRE, and hence it's members, get tainted my that.

I don't consider myself tainted by the opinions of anyone else posting on this site, and I'd suggest that you shouldn't either.

Total Tiger said:

No they don't. The Herald Sun carries Bolta's blog online. At certain times it's full of racism. Do you associate the entire paper with racism? Do you know anyone that organises mass boycotts to protest against this racism?

PRE doesn't endorse its members views so only individuals can be tainted. If people want to taint every member here because we allow discussion of such a topic they're idiots and they have the problem, not us.

Total Tiger said:
Why must a player's race determine if there is an inherent risk to recruit him or not?

Because it depends on facts seen and heard in that there are / have been other players of the same race getting involved in off-field civil/criminal problems.

An example is that Italians or Greeks have been playing VFL/AFL footy for a long time, but there's never been a time when a number / group of Italians or Greeks (or name another race) that have been in off-field problems consistently.

TigerForce said:
Because it depends on facts seen and heard in that there are / have been other players of the same race getting involved in off-field civil/criminal problems.

An example is that Italians or Greeks have been playing VFL/AFL footy for a long time, but there's never been a time when a number / group of Italians or Greeks (or name another race) that have been in off-field problems consistently.

Add that to:

TigerForce said:

and I have a headache. I'm sorry. We're obviously not going to agree. I think I'll give myself a dose of Rockwiz and bid you all a good evening.

Re: Are There Inherent Risks Associated with Drafting Indigenous Footballers?

Disco08 said:
Why? Talking about it is far more likely to bring about change than shoving it in the cupboard.

Absolutely agree Disco!

Landing in Bundaberg Qld (from a lifetime in Melbourne) in 1981, I got talking to two brilliant people from Geelong and after much reflection realised I had been racist in my views to that point. Back then I did go to the dictionary to try and sure up my naivity, and to recap:

rac.ism The belief, not substantiated scientifically, that each human race is characterised by distinctive attributes which determine behaviours and capabilities, and that a particular race is inherently superior; a social or political policy base upon this notion.

The trouble with racism is that many people struggle to fully understand they are stereotyping by race alone. Is all racism bad? I don't know the full answer yet, but I see more bad than good. The core issue is whether "a particular race is being characterised by distinctive attributes which determine a behaviour or a capacity".

The thread is racist, but this is where my "don't know" comes into it. If discussed, it can enlighten a very dull stereotypical view, as it did for me 30 years ago. That serves everyone well.

I've loved playing along side and against indigenous guys in Bundaberg, some who carried some pretty heavy burdens at times. I've seen the same bad behaviour in all races - it's not exclusive and it's certainly not pre-determined by their race - it's equally as frightening and damaging whatever the race.

My father-in-law (Bundaberg born and bred) would often say "they should've poisened the water-holes", he was glassed in the face by a group, but after countless discussions in the ensuing years, he too came to appreciate everyone on face value - I was proud of his shift in thinking. His original thinking was created by fear, as are most racist incidents or comments, underlying or plainly obvious.

I love the opportunities the AFL have given all young men, and in particular the indigenous. They have nothing so pre-determined by their race that makes them a certainty, but we are blessed by the abundance that make it and thrill us week after week.

TigerForce said:

There are / have been other players of the same race not getting involved in off-field/criminal problems. I think you will find that there are factors other than race that indicate whether a player is at risk of getting into trouble. We may have to - gasp - judge each player on his merits!

Firstly, off-field behaviour has only been a recent concern, so it is useless to consider anything from the past. Secondly, are you suggesting that italians or greeks have never misbehaved? Oh dear.