Are There Too Many Risks Associated with Drafting Indigenous Footballers? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Are There Too Many Risks Associated with Drafting Indigenous Footballers?

While some of the comments on this thread are appalling, and the original question posed itself is atrocious and offensive, i think in the most part it's gratifying to read that the majority of us are not small minded, uneducated, racist, bigots.

Keep the thread.

YinnarTiger said:
300 years ago there were significant numbers of people from around the world who approved of slavery.

Which still exists in various forms today.

YinnarTiger said:
In recent history, millions of mindsets were changed in South Africa.

Yep - all the white South Africans moved to the white, middle/upper class areas of London - Putney, Fulham, Wimbledon. They are the fastest growing minority in London, yet I am yet to meet one black South African here. Seems the only thing that changed was the location.

:hijack

Freezer said:
Which still exists in various forms today.

So nothing's changed in the world since 1700?

Freezer said:
Yep - all the white South Africans moved to the white, middle/upper class areas of London - Putney, Fulham, Wimbledon. They are the fastest growing minority in London, yet I am yet to meet one black South African here. Seems the only thing that changed was the location.

So the caucasians we see playing for their national sports teams are all expatriates?

rockstar_tiger said:
No idea how you came to that conclusion from his comments ???

All I'm doing is providing counter-examples to Freezer's belief that:
Freezer said:
The level and degree of education that would be required worldwide to change people's thinking and behaviour is impossible to implement.

People's thinking and behaviour can be changed for the good.

I'm starting to miss the football season where most of the passionate debates were about whether Jackson & McGuane are important players for us or whether they are duds.

All this race, politics, sex debating is getting strenuous.

Phantom said:
I apologise in advance if I have made an arithmetical error.

Not necessarily, but a potential problem with your research design. By taking a snapshot data from one year only you'll tend to capture players who have been in the system for longer, by definition. You'll miss players (both indigenous and non-indigenous) who play a handful of games and fall out of the system - these types will be under-represented in your method.

Baloo said:
I'm starting to miss the football season where most of the passionate debates were about whether Jackson & McGuane are important players for us or whether they are duds.

I said something very similar to Rosy in a PM about this thread a few days ago when the debate was getting hot. We can go back to bickering about whether McMuffin belongs in the backline. Only 2 months to go.

antman said:
Not necessarily, but a potential problem with your research design. By taking a snapshot data from one year only you'll tend to capture players who have been in the system for longer, by definition. You'll miss players (both indigenous and non-indigenous) who play a handful of games and fall out of the system - these types will be under-represented in your method.

I can see what you're getting at,

but if I have the same rules for all clubs, and the data for the Indigenous players is consistent with the data for All players then there is no statistical inaccuracy, as I see it.

As long as a sample has n = or > 30, as in a club list, which is ~45 players, then it's ok.

I would have like to have drawn data, say, over 10 years or more, and if the AFL would like to sponsor me in such a study, I would only be to happy to do so.

Baloo said:

Where's the thread on nookies?

Missed that one. ;)

Phantom said:
Where's the thread on nookies?

Missed that one. ;)

Hardly worth it unless you subscribe to the theory that when a woman says yes she means no or when she says no she means yes

U2Tigers said:
sorry my post was in jest, making light of the 4th change in thread name since the original post.

U2Tigers,

fair enough, I hadn’t read the whole thread – more than a few grains of salt in my post too :)

Hey, dog,

don’t worry – I don’t see one iota of spite or hatred or intended malice of any kind in your posts (though I don’t know what title you originally gave this thread). Just a tad clumsy and naïve given the times we live in. Bet you won't fall for that one again!

No such clumsiness or naivety in the nature of some of the responses you invoked, however.

… gulp … nothing like calls for immediate censorship backed up with fear and loathing from outraged mobs who ironically demand nothing more than tolerance, understanding and politeness ... on behalf of all for all!

Looking at all the info that's come out of "dog's" question it seems to have been a good educational exercise thus far, irrespective of the false start. :)

U2Tigers said:
Probably worded offensively to some, but I do think it is a subject that is worth discussing.

if we talked percentages - I think there may be a trend that is evident.

but we can't discuss it anyway. I think some people get a tad prescious sometimes.

To answer there still worth recruiting if there the best player that fits the need of the club, just like any other.

generally agree with that. we are allowed to acknowledge there are alcohol and violence issues within the indigenous community without deserving to be branded racist. but in saying that, they're not the only community with these issues as we all know.

fwiw, i wouldn't hesitate drafting indigenous players because they're brilliant at this game. 8% of afl players are aboriginal compared to 3% of the general population says i all imo.

Sir said:
HA HA HA

You bunch of cowards!

There is nothing racist in this thread.

It merely debates the recruiting considerations for people of Aboriginal descent/background.

Rosy - please be aware that censorship is every bit as incideous as racism!

generally agree, although there has been the odd racist comment on this thread. but a lot of the plebs saying "delete delete" have been sucked in by the PC set currently running/ruining society.

I wonder if some posters from when this thread started have different views now considering the last couple of weeks in particular?

Liverpool said:
I wonder if some posters from when this thread started have different views now considering the last couple of weeks in particular?

Supporter opinion wouldn't sway me, but reports that some clubs are reluctant and that it is influencing their drafting are significant.

Liverpool said:

are you referring to Lance Franklin being rated No1 by Mike Sheahan?

It's been reported today that an AFL Club Recruiter has been told by his club to not consider certain races of people unless they have at least one white parent.
Neil Balme thinks the AFL should be informed.
Name and shame is what I think he has in mind.

I agree as I can't understand how any serious professional body like an AFL club could think like this.

poppa x said:
It's been reported today that an AFL Club Recruiter has been told by his club to not consider certain races of people unless they have at least one white parent.
Neil Balme thinks the AFL should be informed.
Name and shame is what I think he has in mind.

I agree as I can't understand how any serious professional body like an AFL club could think like this.

Let's hope it ain't our club then...