Anything could happen this year | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Anything could happen this year

Leysy Days said:
Umm, no. The top 4 teams at the end of the H & A wont have any if only's.

They'll have won enough games to ensure every chance at a flag.

For the second time in three years we look like coming up 1 game short of that scenario.

If we hadn't beaten Fremantle and Hawthorn we'd be struggling to make the 8. We have had some shocking performances this year as recently as the Adelaide game. Middle to lower end of the 8 seems about right.

had we beaten freo, the rockstar tigers would have turned up against hawthorn and lost, so in the end it nets itself off.

Leysy Days said:
There's hasn't end up hurting them like ours look like doing.

not so sure - hawks losing to Essendon early in the year by less than a kick may have cost them a home final - if only that hawks player who was running into that open goal had kicked it 2 secs earlier.

agree the top four have less what ifs, but when they happen they still have the potential to hurt their gf aspirations

I don't think the two losers of the qualifying finals in the first week will be able to make it to the Grand final. Too hard to back up from a tough loss, win and then travel again and win again.

On that basis I think the elimination finals winners will have a better chance of stealing a flag from one of the top four than any other year. If we can win week one of the finals we can win the whole thing. Better to come in 5th or 6th (provided we win our final) than finish 4th and lose to the Dockers or WC in the qualifier (however if we won.... GF here come).

Harry said:
had we beaten freo, the rockstar tigers would have turned up against hawthorn and lost, so in the end it nets itself off.

Agree. That Freo loss helped us best the Hawks.

But you could argue if we lost to the Hawks we would have beaten Adelaide.

I don't have us making the four. But I'm potting the top four with the exception of WCE. They're just dubious. So if we can stay healthy I reckon we might see a bit of football this finals series. I can definitely see us making the GF. Winning it is not out of the question. But it would be handy if another side could push through from outside the top four. That freshness advantage from the week off is huge.

It's definitely an upset prospect year for mine.

Yeah, the week off is massive.

Hard to say who'll win it. Sydney can't, Freo needs someone else to beat Hawthorn for them, Hawthorn are old and soft, the Dogs aren't ready. Leaves us, West Coast, North and Adelaide.

I think we'll fuckinate North, spook. And beat WCE if they don't get a week off advantage. But fifth. Goddamn.

Dyer'ere said:
I think we'll *smile*inate North, spook. And beat WCE if they don't get a week off advantage. But fifth. Goddamn.
I reckon the north hoodoo is over BUT from my limited experience playing a side in the last rd of the home and away games and then playing them in the first rd of the finals brings 2 different results.

tigertim said:
I reckon the north hoodoo is over BUT from my limited experience playing a side in the last rd of the home and away games and then playing them in the first rd of the finals brings 2 different results.

Need Lee to give us the stats.

Yeah that's what I'm thinking.

We play North in the last round with every possibility we play them again in the first week.

We play them on their dugout and then on our turf.

I'm sure that either will show their hand in that game especially since we have booked our finals spot and North play the Digs who play Etihad just as good if not better. Depends if their confidence got a dent against the WC last week.

Think that game the finals arrive earlier and then North play us the following week so if they beat us that would be 9 wins in a row, confidence sky high, hoodoo hanging over our heads if we play them the first week. Then it will be game on.

Would you back us to win that final? Pressure will be immersed !

A lot can happen .

This final series is the most open I've seen.

Could it be the year a side outside the top 4 has a chance?

The best thing that can happen is to lose against north in round 23 (provided of course the top four is locked away).

Playing the return bout at the MCG as the underdog would be right up our alley.

Anyone remember Rocky II? ;D

The EFs are more likely to be norf v dogs and rich v geelong in any case.

Every year the same prognosis is said - "This is the year the bottom half of the eight come through".

Every year - The top 4 team that lose first final "They are gone"

Every year - more often than not the top 4 end of season finish top 4 at end of finals.

To back this up: Since the current finals series finished in 2000 - Only 4 out of 60 sides that have finished 5 through 8 have made the prelim. Of those 4 NONE have made it to the GF.

Yes that rule will be broken at some stage, but it's obvious it is critical to finish Top 4 is a must to be any realistic chance of challenging.

It's why us being likely to finish 1 game short two years out of three leaves us with plenty of what-if's.