Anything could happen this year | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Anything could happen this year

Never before has finishing 4th looked so much better than finishing 5th (with the exception of 2013 :-\).

Finish 4th and we would play against a team we have a good record against on a ground we play well at. Win that and we get a home prelim; probably against another of the top 3 teams that we match up so well against. Lose in W1 and we get another chance at the MCG against Swans or WB before getting another chance at 'our bunnies'.

Finish 5th (or 6th) and we will play against one of our bogey teams. Win that and we probably have to travel to Sydney. Win that and we either travel to Perth or play Hawthorn after a week off studying us.

Finish 4th and we are a realistic chance at the flag. Finish 5th and we are a long shot just to make a prelim.

As a result the most important game of the season for us at this stage might not even involve us. It might be Saints vs Swans this week! (swans' last realistic chance to drop a game).

tigers80 said:
What were we 2-4 and looking like we were going up and down on the spot.

Great turnaround but still reckon the sleeping giant hasn't fully awakened just yet.

this... hints of monstering the filth in the fourth quarter this week with Ellis, Newy and TV running amok, but I reckon we have not reached our full potential. Hard to tell against last week's opposition.

Finals though is tough, hard, contested, up-close, in-your-face footy. We need Dusty, Chimp, Deledio and Jack front and centre. No quiet tagged-out-of-it games from these boys.

DirtyDogTiger said:
We aren't locked in.
We're just highly unlikely to miss.
And I've seen us blow it before.
I Don't really think richmond 2015 will muff it though.

How are we going to miss? Only way is if there is a 265 point turnaround between us and Geelong in the last 2 games. Geelong play Collingwood and Adelaide, we play Essendon and North. Ain't gonna happen, we're in.

martyshire said:
Never before has finishing 4th looked so much better than finishing 5th (with the exception of 2013 :-\).

Finish 4th and we would play against a team we have a good record against on a ground we play well at. Win that and we get a home prelim; probably against another of the top 3 teams that we match up so well against. Lose in W1 and we get another chance at the MCG against Swans or WB before getting another chance at 'our bunnies'.

Finish 5th (or 6th) and we will play against one of our bogey teams. Win that and we probably have to travel to Sydney. Win that and we either travel to Perth or play Hawthorn after a week off studying us.

Finish 4th and we are a realistic chance at the flag. Finish 5th and we are a long shot just to make a prelim.

As a result the most important game of the season for us at this stage might not even involve us. It might be Saints vs Swans this week! (swans' last realistic chance to drop a game).

GO SAINTS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tigerlove said:
How are we going to miss? Only way is if there is a 265 point turnaround between us and Geelong in the last 2 games. Geelong play Collingwood and Adelaide, we play Essendon and North. Ain't gonna happen, we're in.

I know, I agree with you.

We almost can't miss

We would have to lose to essendon by 70
And lose to North by 70
Geelong beat Collingwood and adelaide by 70 each
Adelaide beats WCE
WBD beat North

Those results would have to occur for us to finish 9th.

It's ridiculous ... but not impossible.

It's called 'locked in' for a reason.

We'll finish the job at 10 pm on Saturday night.
I'm confident of that.

Weve got as much chance of not making the finals as we had of making the finals after a 3-10 start last season......

Harry said:
GO SAINTS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We are on a roll. we dont like to admit it but its something like 22 wins from our last 28 home and away games from mid last year. We know what we can do against the top teams, we also know when we are off we can loose to anyone too.

Lets get the 4 points and then on Sunday watch with great interest as the Swans come down to Etihad vs a young Saints team who have NOT packed up for 2015. They have played some very good football in recent times but cant execute across all four quarters. Hope they take the first have vs North, last vs Tigers and parts against Geelong and put one of their finest wins on the board for 2015. Richmond do the job on Saturday night and this time next week, with one game to go, we sit in the top 4!!!!! We got the rub of the green late in 2014, why not again in 2015 !!! GO SAINTS.

Tiger Pops said:
We are on a roll. we dont like to admit it but its something like 22 wins from our last 28 home and away games from mid last year. We know what we can do against the top teams, we also know when we are off we can loose to anyone too.

We've won 22 from 30
And beaten 13 out of 17 opponents.

There was an unfortunate 3 game brain fart from rounds 4-6 this year.

Saints WWW
Port. WLW
Bris WW
GWS. WW
ESS. WW
Coll. WW
Carlton WW
Sydney. WW
Freo. WL
WCE. WL
Adel. WL
Suns. W
Hawks. W
WBD. L
Melb. L
Nth. L
Geel. L

It seems we've learnt how to defeat the teams that we should defeat (the ones from
9th to 18th).

During that 30 games Weve lost just two (that's right! : TWO from 30!!) to teams finishing from 9th to 18th.

The two 'lower placed' teams we have lost to in that period are: geelong (currently 9th) and Melbourne (currently 14th) in rounds 4-5 this year.

We are still 12-24 months away from being our best. I will not be surprised to see us go out first final but I am bouyed by what is obvious improvement in our team and club.

DirtyDogTiger said:
I will be feral if we lose our final

Agree, if we lose first week we've made no progress. We have to go for it this year. None of our big stars have missed significant chunks of the season. Other teams eg Gold Coast, GWS, and Doggies (if they find a ruckman) will improve.

Unfortunately we've created a mindset for self-fulfilling propehecy with the last two finals.

The 2013 loss in particular was poor.

A win in week 1 would be equal measures relief and elation ;D

Other teams eg Gold Coast, GWS, and Doggies (if they find a ruckman) will improve.

And so will we.
We are not yet at our best
The likes of C Ellis, Menadue, Lennon, McBean, Lambert, McIntosh and even Miles will all improve with more games.
The future's bright no matter what happens over the next month or so.

Sintiger said:
2015 shapes as the most exciting final series in a long time. We have a ladder leader who many think can't win the flag, a defending champion who look beatable and some of the best footy being played by clubs not in the top 4.

I just have a feeling that something unusual is going to happen. Adelaide is playing as well as anyone right now, we have proved we can beat anyone on our day, North are a preliminery finalist last year and West Coast are looking ominous as well. The Dogs just keep on winning.

Could this be the year that someone wins it from outside the top 4 ? I have a feeling that it won't be Hawthorn's year but if not then who ?

Fantastic season.

To win the flag from positions 1 to 4 on the ladder you only have to win three games - and you get a week off to ready yourself for the last two games.
To win the flag from positions 5 to 8 on the ladder you have to win four games straight.

All these games are against the best opposition for the year.

The odds for victory are very much in favour of the teams that finish 1 to 4. Particularly the two teams that win in the first week of the finals.

Plus Home and Away form becomes irrelevant once the finals start - you watch the hardened teams like Fremantle, Hawthorn and the Swans all go up another rung in intensity at the ball.

Has Richmond got the ability to go up anther rung in intensity? That is the question for Tiger supporters? (and West Coast, Western Bulldogs, North Kangaroos and Adelaide/Geelong Supporters?)

If somehow the Tigers can finish 4th (I'll be cheering very hard for the Saints this weekend) we will have a far better chance at a Grand Final.

RemoteTiger said:
To win the flag from positions 1 to 4 on the ladder you only have to win three games - and you get a week off to ready yourself for the last two games.
To win the flag from positions 5 to 8 on the ladder you have to win four games straight.

The odds for victory are very much in favour of the teams that finish 1 to 4. Particularly the two teams that win in the first week of the finals.

Plus Home and Away form becomes irrelevant once the finals start - you watch the hardened teams like Fremantle, Hawthorn and the Swans all go up another rung in intensity at the ball.

Has Richmond got the ability to go up anther rung in intensity? That is the question for Tiger supporters? (and West Coast, Western Bulldogs, North Kangaroos and Adelaide/Geelong Supporters?)

If somehow the Tigers can finish 4th (I'll be cheering very hard for the Saints this weekend) we will have a far better chance at a Grand Final.

True on the odd part. But This year is different because of Sydney, and possibly freo being cooked and inferior to 2 or 3 sides in the 5-8th posis. Sydney are just taking up space. Beating lower sides at their stupid tiny ground on muscle memory.

RemoteTiger said:

You just described the conditions under which our best footy has been played in the last two seasons.

Back to the wall, lose and season over
Large sequence of back to back wins
Winning against more fancied opponents
Playing better without a games rest(ie bye)
Winning interstate.

Not saying it means we will win a final or get to the big dance. But we have set precedents to overcome those obstacles.