Andrew Lovett suspended indefinately by Saints | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Andrew Lovett suspended indefinately by Saints

Enough of the petty bickering everyone. Discuss the topic civilly or posts will be deleted.

tiger12 said:
This is the point I was making,

That may be so but you tried to make your point in cliched terms which have been used to excuse rape, of course you got a reaction.

tiger12 said:
This is the point I was making, without having to spell it out for the children on this site. At no stage have I tried to defend Lovett. At no stage have I tried to condone the act of rape. And at no stage am I trying to denigrate women in general. And if a person (generally a male) is found guilty and convicted of rape then he deserves to cop the full force of the law (which imo is not harsh enough). However, in relation to sexual activity, I am aware of (as you have outlined PA) situations where after consenting, the female has experienced a guilt trip for reasons best known to herself, and tried to blame the male to cover her own backside. This happens in life, you might not like it, but it happens.

I think it just didn't come across that clearly t12 so your original comments were possibly taken in a way other than you intended. Nobody would disagree too much with what you said in the quote above.

tiger12 said:
This is the point I was making, without having to spell it out for the children on this site. At no stage have I tried to defend Lovett. At no stage have I tried to condone the act of rape. And at no stage am I trying to denigrate women in general. And if a person (generally a male) is found guilty and convicted of rape then he deserves to cop the full force of the law (which imo is not harsh enough). However, in relation to sexual activity, I am aware of (as you have outlined PA) situations where after consenting, the female has experienced a guilt trip for reasons best known to herself, and tried to blame the male to cover her own backside. This happens in life, you might not like it, but it happens.

If that was the point you were making, you worded it very poorly. As to your point, I'm sure that does happen, but I'll bet that for every one of those situations, there are numerous examples of women who are too scared or too ashamed to go to the police so suffer in silence or cannot prove that the rape occurred so sit there and watch the rapist walk out scot free. The legal system is full of injustice, but please accept that the injustice occurs both ways.

As for Lovatt, he is innocent until he is proven guilty. At this stage, no charges have even been laid. I did make a point much earlier that I still don't understand why St Kilda publicly named him before the police investigation was even complete. I think his own club has served him a misjustice by outing him.

Total Tiger said:
As for Lovatt, he is innocent until he is proven guilty. At this stage, no charges have even been laid. I did make a point much earlier that I still don't understand why St Kilda publicly named him before the police investigation was even complete. I think his own club has served him a misjustice by outing him.

Totally agree TT. If this case is dropped or he's found not guilty, St Kilda will have faces redder than a Ferrari.

Total Tiger said:
I did make a point much earlier that I still don't understand why St Kilda publicly named him before the police investigation was even complete. I think his own club has served him a misjustice by outing him.
Clubs no longer have the option of sitting on info and hoping no-one notices.
The media tear the absolute suitcase out of anything remotely smelling of a cover up.
As soon as there is a notafiable incident the clubs put out a basic spiel which informs the media, the sponsors and Big Daddy AFL the *smile*'s hit the fan then duck for cover till the legal system sorts out the nitty gritty.

Streak said:
Another promising career bites the dust for at best an act of stupidity, at worst, a serious criminal offence.

Will these guys never learn.
Lovett hasn't,he's been a handful for the Bombers for several years.

TigerMasochist said:
The media tear the absolute suitcase out of anything remotely smelling of a cover up.
As soon as there is a notafiable incident the clubs put out a basic spiel which informs the media, the sponsors and Big Daddy AFL the sh!t's hit the fan then duck for cover till the legal system sorts out the nitty gritty.

Hence, the 'media stalkers'. If I was prez, I'd just take it on the chin and use our player to full advantage until he is (or isn't) charged.

Too many Crutchys around nowadays. Don't make them win.

TigerMasochist said:
As soon as there is a notafiable incident the clubs put out a basic spiel which informs the media, the sponsors and Big Daddy AFL the sh!t's hit the fan then duck for cover till the legal system sorts out the nitty gritty.

I understand that but I wonder if Essendon would have handled it differently and if St Kilda effectively wiped their hands of him because he'd only been at the club for 5 minutes and hadn't really become entrenched into the club yet. When you look at the way the club handled the Milne/Montagna incident vs how they've handled this one, there's a massive difference to their response.

Total Tiger said:
but I'll bet that for every one of those situations, there are numerous examples of women who are too scared or too ashamed to go to the police so suffer in silence or cannot prove that the rape occurred so sit there and watch the rapist walk out scot free. The legal system is full of injustice, but please accept that the injustice occurs both ways.

I don't doubt that, in fact in the case of rape it is overwhelmingly slanted against the female. But in this instance we are discussing A Lovett, and without knowing the full facts I am merely putting up a possible scenario.

tiger12 said:
I don't doubt that, in fact in the case of rape it is overwhelmingly slanted against the female. But in this instance we are discussing A Lovett, and without knowing the full facts I am merely putting up a possible scenario.

what was that scenario? that she said no but really she meant yes so lovett had sex with her? hes got nothing to worry bout then.

Brodders, I think we are hitting our heads against the proverbial brick wall. Might be time to move on. I think most on here get it.

i hear with the evidence before police he could be looking at 8-10 years. i know who the player whos ex gf it was too

This thread was last posted on in February 2010.

Over the last year and a bit, reflecting on the goings on of a number of StKilda players since, one can not help but feel that the ejecting of Lovett from the StKilda club was inconsistent with the more lenient stances taken on some of their other players.

When we think of StKilda's shenanigans, there are a number of player's names that immediately come to mind.
Lovett becomes more remote.

Was StKilda's treatment of Lovett justified?

I suppose not enough of us really care.

You've got to wonder if he now has a case against the AFL, or St Kilda at least. Still think he's scum, but he's innocent scum in the eye of the law.

Total Tiger said:
You've got to wonder if he now has a case against the AFL, or St Kilda at least. Still think he's scum, but he's innocent scum in the eye of the law.

not guilty scum - just means you have not been able to have the allegations against you proven beyond reasonable doubt, it doesn't mean the court found you innocent