AFL - a secretive, dodgy organisation needs a clean out | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

AFL - a secretive, dodgy organisation needs a clean out

Not disagreeing with you but I wonder what Peggy's CV was like to take on the President's job all those years back?

I remember there was some disquiet that she got the gig ( American, female, legal background and a few years on the Board) rather than someone like Malcolm Speed who was a long time sports administrator.

The lesson for me in that is that sometimes the CV or the actual experience is not the most important thing, the person is actually just a great leader.
Wasn't there two male board members fearsomely butting heads over who would be the next Prez at the time n somehow Peggy was thrown in as the alternative soothe the macho beast conciliator? Worked out perfectly by default.

Reactions: 1 user
Surprised they didn't mange to squeeze a fine in for Tom Lynch amongst these.
Kinda wondering how it took 11 Smelbourne n #Lolnorf players to constitute a melee when the Lynchman can create one all by himself.
Guess HQ musta been really short on their end of season *smile* up budget this year, or maybe the Christian is nowhere near his revenue raising performance bonus.

Reactions: 1 users
Not disagreeing with you but I wonder what Peggy's CV was like to take on the President's job all those years back?
I don’t know whether he cv was of much consideration. She had already been around the Board from 2003 when she helped form the Tommy Haley business group. Peggy joined the Board since 2005. Became President in 2013 so she would have been fairly well known to the Board at that time.
I remember there was some disquiet that she got the gig ( American, female, legal background and a few years on the Board) rather than someone like Malcolm Speed who was a long time sports administrator.
I’m think Peggy was the compromise winner when Speed and Shannassy were tied? Something like that
The lesson for me in that is that sometimes the CV or the actual experience is not the most important thing, the person is actually just a great leader.
In Peggy’s case, that is bloody true. An exceptionally great leader. How fortunate we were to have her.

Sometimes CVs are dressed up and the person is out of their depth when the reality of the job requirement sets in.

There are plenty of well credentialed and self promoting people who are duds.

And there are plenty of over achievers who go steadily and nonchalantly about their business

Kinda wondering how it took 11 Smelbourne n #Lolnorf players to constitute a melee when the Lynchman can create one all by himself.
Guess HQ musta been really short on their end of season *smile* up budget this year, or maybe the Christian is nowhere near his revenue raising performance bonus.
I wonder what the afl call an 11 man melee?
A riot of players?

Wasn't there two male board members fearsomely butting heads over who would be the next Prez at the time n somehow Peggy was thrown in as the alternative soothe the macho beast conciliator? Worked out perfectly by default.
Yes Malcolm Speed was one, can’t remember the other

Wayne Hawkes is a wanker. Talking about all the extra fluff, the match day experience stuff that you get at sports events there. Was raving on about the music, the extra performances you get (like announcers, races etc etc). He said Andrew Dillon needs to take a leaf out of the US sports days and do even more match day experience stuff.
Kermit had the good sense to pull him up and talk about the resistance to that sort of stuff here.

Just confirmed why he is known as FONC in racing circles. A total wanker, and clearly not a real sports fan.

Last edited:
Wayne Hawkes is a wanker. Talking about all the extra fluff, the match day experience stuff that you get at sports events there. Was raving on about the music, the extra performances you get (like announcers, races etc etc). He said Andrew Dillon needs to take a leaf out of the US sports days and do even more match day experience stuff.
Kermit had the good sense to pull him up and talk about the resistance to that sort of stuff here.

Just confirmed why he is known a FONC in racing circles. A total wanker, and clearly not a real sports fan.
I'm hearing it....

Just confirmed why he is known a FONC in racing circles. A total wanker, and clearly not a real sports fan.
Personally, I hate it when a footy game interrupts the match day experience.

• Haha
Reactions: 12 users

Yeah, the “match day experience “ is over rated and unnecessary. I go to the movies, I see the movie, I don’t need announcers blaring crap out of the loudspeaker, I don’t need gimmicks like “race the Colonel” or any other crap. I just want the movie. Same as when I go to a game, I just want the game of footy.

I went to an NBA game and the reputation of a) the food (was very ordinary) and b) the “match day experience “ were both terribly overrated.

All the crap that went on around the game “here’s a free tshirt shot of the bazooka gun”, “here’s a free gym membership”, “pay honour to a veteran”, “kiss cam”, “mid court shot at the hoop” were just as dull as they sound.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
Seeing endless gambling and crypto ads really drives home the fact the AFL is morally deficient and doesn't represent or care about the grass roots fans.

Yeah, the “match day experience “ is over rated and unnecessary. I go to the movies, I see the movie, I don’t need announcers blaring crap out of the loudspeaker, I don’t need gimmicks like “race the Colonel” or any other crap. I just want the movie. Same as when I go to a game, I just want the game of footy.

I went to an NBA game and the reputation of a) the food (was very ordinary) and b) the “match day experience “ were both terribly overrated.

All the crap that went on around the game “here’s a free tshirt shot of the bazooka gun”, “here’s a free gym membership”, “pay honour to a veteran”, “kiss cam”, “mid court shot at the hoop” were just as dull as they sound.

Oh, I don't know, wouldn't it be good if a few AFL players turned up in the theatre and kicked a footy around?

No?

Funny that.

I remember Grand Finals before there was any pre-,match "entertainment" and it was fantastic. All this crap is completely unnecessary. We have the greatest game (for the moment) and there is no need for the other crap. Gridiron on the other hand . . .

Just as an aside - do they do this pre-game crap before the FA Cup Final or the European Soccer finals?

DS

I've lived in the US since 2008 (Miami). I've adopted the local teams. I am a Miami Dolphins Season ticket holder and I've attended plenty of Miami Heat games.

There is a reason that they have all the entertainment crap, i.e.
“here’s a free t-shirt shot of the bazooka gun”, “here’s a free gym membership”, “pay honour to a veteran”, “kiss cam”, “mid court shot at the hoop” were just as dull as they sound.
The games always stop over here. Time outs, ad breaks etc. The crap stops people from leaving.

Australian rules doesn't need the crap because our game doesn't stop unnecessarily and if we blink we miss something. Yes, Wayne Hawkes is a wanker.

Reactions: 6 users
The AFL is slowly being exposed for the questionable, morally bankrupt, incompetent, and corrupt organization it is.

From the development and build of Marvel Stadium (or whatever it is called today), and who reaped considerable financial benefits in AFL House at the time, to the disaster that was Waverly; to the addiction of a continuous stream of money from gambling, the AFL has a history of saying one thing publicly and doing the exact opposite behind closed doors.

Serious conflicts of interests abound, from filling senior posts from within the place itself; or choosing well groomed individuals to push, not challenge, the AFL agenda.

A glaring and unacceptable example of a serious conflict of interest was when in August 2017 Steve Hocking was appointed AFL General Manager of Football Operations, having served previously as Geelong’s General manager of football. Only to return to Geelong at the end of 2021 season as the new CEO of the Cats. Having championed many rule changes that had a direct benefit for the playing style of the Geelong side.

A professionally run organization would not put themselves in a position to be criticized, with many questions raised by such an appointment, by simply having in a place a rule where no previous employer of the AFL can return to club football before a cooling off period of 2 years.

As for the AFL’s obvious and incredibly lazy addiction to shambolic American razzmatazz the league adopts every year, stop it!!!!!! It is not unique, or new or wanted here in Australia. Stop diluting the intrinsic qualities that make our game unique and listen to the supporters for once!

But that requires an intelligence and integrity that went missing in AFL House years ago. And that must change!!!!

caught a bit of Andrew Dillon on last nights 360.

What a scrambling fraudulent twit.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 6 users
Wish Nick McKenzie and The Age would do an investigation into the AFL
Such a corrupt organisation, right up there with the worst of them.
It's no surprise that the former CEO is now running Tabcorp.
Where do these sycophants get off?

Reactions: 2 users