Adem Yze | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Adem Yze

That's right so we need to nail the draft and hope we can get guns as we all know it can be a raffle. Hindsight or not you can't win flags if you don't have the players. Alot of our players are in their 3-5 season and don't have the class or leadership of most of the names mentioned above. Kane is the only real hope for me .
Dow is rubbish
Sonsie is a long way off, but could be a B grader
Brown is just a good kick, but nothing more atm . Still could be a B grader
Ross is a role player and ok
Junior looks promising, but still a work in progress
Clarke unknown
Coulthard is rubbish
Gibcus looks like an A grader, but development is back 2 years
Mansell is a c grade role player
Ryan is rubbish atm and i have no confidence in him
Cumberland is rubbish
Trezise a good role player. B grade at best
Banks is a long way off and i see a c to B Grader if we're lucky
Fawcett unknown
Colina delist material
OHB has potential
LeFau is a B grader role player
Bauer is injury prone and unknown
Campbell looks good, but has massive disappearing acts. Could get to A grade
Young is rubbish
Steely is meh at best
Smith looks great and could be the surprise packet
Blight i think is a potential A grader with Gray also

So I think the cupboard is bare atm and we really need to nail the drafts over the next 3 years. The biggest mistakes list managers and coaches make is over rating their list and keeping players too long and we have that situation ATM.
That’s the point of my post, these assessments are your opinion.
I’m not bagging you for them, you are perfectly entitled to those opinions and you may end up being a fantastic judge.
But you may also be wrong and only time will tell.

Reactions: 1 users
That's a myth as these coaches never went well and the majority never got contracts anywhere else. If they did they still failed.
Are you suggesting we should've kept guys on for longer as if doing so they would’ve morphed into premiership coaches?

It's one of the most ridiculous statements that pops up on forums.
Yze deserves another year and this time next year with another preseason and an improved list with Footy Department we will have a better idea of his coaching capabilities.

So, you're saying that the strategy of sacking coaches every couple of years is a good strategy?

That's the attitude which would have seen us sack Hardwick after 2016.

We didn't sack Hardwick, we won 3 flags. We did sack heaps of coaches in the 1980s and 1990s and we won no flags.

I'll take the result from sober analysis of a coach and being less trigger happy thanks.

DS

Reactions: 8 users
So, you're saying that the strategy of sacking coaches every couple of years is a good strategy?

That's the attitude which would have seen us sack Hardwick after 2016.

We didn't sack Hardwick, we won 3 flags. We did sack heaps of coaches in the 1980s and 1990s and we won no flags.

I'll take the result from sober analysis of a coach and being less trigger happy thanks.

DS
No I’m not saying it’s any strategy let alone a good one. What I’m saying is those coaches went on to be nothing afterwards in terms of achievements so we didn’t miss out on anything. So historically speaking the club didn’t lose out on anything.
Hardwick as been already stated was lucky because we were financially stable and the club spent millions on a review and a complete upgrade of the football department. We didn’t have this luxury back then and FD weren’t as extensive and complicated as they are today. The coach was basically the major operator and the buck stopped with him. You’re stuck in the past and haven’t realised that coaching is no longer about the coach , but his assistants, the fitness and medical team , list managers and talents scouts , football operations etc etc. We never had that type of money back then to pay for quality staff.
You have to be be living under a rock if you haven’t noticed the in depth changes that have taken place in the FD of clubs where we’ve gone from weekend footballers to a professional full time career.

Stupidity this topic coming up. His in a rebuild with alot of cooked senior players and fair few not pulling their weight either. His played the kids , but you get patches from them in games. Football department been let down for me and really needs a review and revamp top to bottom.
Yep this , great post ! Were in rebuild mode now and there will be a lot of changes off season .

Geez i dont want to be a kill joy.

So we are entering full on rebuild. Sorry i thought it should have happened three years ago.

This year will be year 4 since our last flag. People are hoping going by this thread that we can rebuild in three drafts if we get it all right.
Then there is the 3 to 5 seasons it will take to get experience into enough of the draftees. People talk about the 50 to 80 game freshold all the time.
Already im looking at twelve years yet people still want to hedge the bets.

If bottom out is the end of next year, Isay next year because i dont think we have bottomed out. iI would like to hear what people think a REALISTIC time frame is to win a flag given just how long it has taken most clubs in the past who have actually bottomed out.
Believe me when i say there is no such thing as a 5 yr rebuild from bottoming out.

The players on our list went all the way back to 2006 who played in the 2017 flag. In fact 06 and 07 were critical in many ways. 06 Riewoldt Edwards. 07 Cotchin Rance. Thats 12 years right there. Admittedly it took 12 years because we got a lot wrong on the way.

So allowing for getting things wrong how long do people think it will take being realistic?

Reactions: 1 user

So we are entering full on rebuild. Sorry i thought it should have happened three years ago.

This year will be year 4 since our last flag. People are hoping going by this thread that we can rebuild in three drafts if we get it all right.
Then there is the 3 to 5 seasons it will take to get experience into enough of the draftees. People talk about the 50 to 80 game freshold all the time.
Already im looking at twelve years yet people still want to hedge the bets.

If bottom out is the end of next year, Isay next year because i dont think we have bottomed out. iI would like to hear what people think a REALISTIC time frame is to win a flag given just how long it has taken most clubs in the past who have actually bottomed out.
Believe me when i say there is no such thing as a 5 yr rebuild from bottoming out.

The players on our list went all the way back to 2006 who played in the 2017 flag. In fact 06 and 07 were critical in many ways. 06 Riewoldt Edwards. 07 Cotchin Rance. Thats 12 years right there. Admittedly it took 12 years because we got a lot wrong on the way.

So allowing for getting things wrong how long do people think it will take being realistic?
Rejuvenation should have happened years ago blind freddy could see that. That's not on Yze through.

Reactions: 3 users
Rejuvenation should have happened years ago blind freddy could see that. That's not on Yze through.
I agree but im am critical given what i have said above.
Injuries aside i think we have been pretty average in rejuvenation given where we think the list is at and the time frame it will now take.

That's right so we need to nail the draft and hope we can get guns as we all know it can be a raffle. Hindsight or not you can't win flags if you don't have the players. Alot of our players are in their 3-5 season and don't have the class or leadership of most of the names mentioned above. Kane is the only real hope for me .
Dow is rubbish
Clarke unknown
Coulthard is rubbish
Cumberland is rubbish
Fawcett unknown
Colina delist material
OHB has potential
Young is rubbish
Steely is meh at best

So I think the cupboard is bare atm and we really need to nail the drafts over the next 3 years. The biggest mistakes list managers and coaches make is over rating their list and keeping players too long and we have that situation ATM.
I think the 'keeping players too long' is overrated. There are rules around lists, salary cap, contracts and drafting that makes it quite hard to just turn a list over. It's not the NFL; you're somewhat obliged to 'dance with who ya brung' for longer than is often ideal. It's not like we could have traded out Cotchin, Houli or Jack after 2021, and we didn't have the players underneath to sunset them. I think that Taranto and Hopper, while drafted to have a tilt, were necessary anyway. Without them we'd have a supermassive hole in mature talent caused by the aforementioned draft drought.

I'd argue it's simply equalisation at work. We were not helped by being decent for 4 years before our premiership run - it's been a decade since we were in the drafting sweet spot. It's all cold comfort - we just need to get our heads around a few years of good draft picks and a full rebuild. If Yze is a good player developer and culture guy, he's the right person for the next few years, regardless of results.

Reactions: 8 users
I think the 'keeping players too long' is overrated. There are rules around lists, salary cap, contracts and drafting that makes it quite hard to just turn a list over. It's not the NFL; you're somewhat obliged to 'dance with who ya brung' for longer than is often ideal. It's not like we could have traded out Cotchin, Houli or Jack after 2021, and we didn't have the players underneath to sunset them. I think that Taranto and Hopper, while drafted to have a tilt, were necessary anyway. Without them we'd have a supermassive hole in mature talent caused by the aforementioned draft drought.

I'd argue it's simply equalisation at work. We were not helped by being decent for 4 years before our premiership run - it's been a decade since we were in the drafting sweet spot. It's all cold comfort - we just need to get our heads around a few years of good draft picks and a full rebuild. If Yze is a good player developer and culture guy, he's the right person for the next few years, regardless of results.
I think without those two we still have 14 premiership players on the list
Our problem was we didn’t move on the role players in our successful years and now we’ve got a stagnant list. Cotchin , Jack and Martin weren’t the issue. We missed on a lot of poor picks in the 21 draft and lost four picks with TT and JH because we thought we could roll on rather than building a list. We missed on trading Graham for a first rounder and now he’s worth chicken droppings.
The next few drafts are now critical with trades.
FWIW Prestia and Lynch were as good as early picks you’ll ever get. We lost an early pick on Hopper and I think Taranto is a good top ten pick, just his disposal is poor. The Ellis deal to Suns we got stitched by the AFL , but overall Clarke has been poor with hi selections.
Yze inherited an aged and poor list of kids and sacking him would be stupid and he needs probably an extra 12-18 months to see his true worth.

Last edited:
Would love too see a afl quality game plan that will lead to success tonight.

3 yrs ago you say?
Lets look back 3yrs ago.
21 was a blowout after 3 flags
22 we bounced back and if not for the inept non lynch goal decision we could've very well played off in the 22GF(We had a limp melb then our bunnies).
Hardly a rebuild mode set of circumstances.

Dow is rubbish
Clarke unknown
Coulthard is rubbish
Cumberland is rubbish
Fawcett unknown
Colina delist material
OHB has potential
Young is rubbish
Steely is meh at best

Found myself wanting to disagree but I think this is pretty fair. It's draft or we will be down for quite a while. We have given these guys a good run.
The rest of the story is that some of our second tier are not capable of being topliners.

Reactions: 2 users
Let's worry about if he can select a side because it's looking like he has no authority to pick the side to be honest, does someone else at the club have to much say at the club I'm starting to think yes. Unless ooze is a complete moron

Let's worry about if he can select a side because it's looking like he has no authority to pick the side to be honest, does someone else at the club have to much say at the club I'm starting to think yes. Unless ooze is a complete moron
What a suggesting who's having to much influence ?.

What a suggesting who's having to much influence ?.
Livingstone and the leadership group possibly. It's just s gut feeling that ooze doesn't have the fortitude to stamp his authority quite yet, fair enough really first year hes probably wants to build relationships not destroy them. But *smile* it's not what we actually need right now.

For me the last 4 games of the season that are winnable games will tell me alot about who is in charge and what their thought process is of where the list is at

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
What are you basing that on? We barely have any players to choose from.