2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

Heard this arvo that we've delisted the Cummerbund n Cool t hard. That'll give us 8 vacancies to cover for our 8 picks. Thinking that maybe we're planning on simply running with all the early picks we've got in a very deep n wide draft unless someone comes along with an irresistible idiot offer. Our last pick is officially 24 which will obviously back out a little for academy F/S type picks, but they interrupt the draft every year. Our picks are easily premium enough this year to not need to be playing silly buggers n outsmarting ourselves with fancy maneuvers.

Lalor and Jagga double yes please. I like Travaglia. Not sure about the rest.
If our picks end up as per ESPN I will have to learn how to play some form of instrument so I can dance around, doing a jig, while playing it!

Bagpipes perhaps...?

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
I think trading pick 6 is counterproductive, that's a good player virtually locked. The right price is 10 & 18 with perhaps some sweeteners, good chance Tauru is there at pick 10, that should be the message to North.
A lot seem to be in favour of working up the order to get FOS, Bully. RFC almost certainly is.

Twomey says 6+18 gets it done. There are other suitors for #2.

I'd always thought that the link of Carlton to FOS was romantic and nothing more. But it's getting around. They can offer 3+38. Thursfield can on trade from there. But it's getting messy.

Here's the thing. Once RFC misses FOS they may may pull out altogether. If Thursfield trades 2 for 3+38 that's all he gets.

If we offer North 10+18 for 2 Taylor and SOS get four cracks at Tauru before Thursfield. Risky. Thursfield surely has to hold his pick #2. It looks a no go.

Blair may do better than 6+18. Maybe 6+24. But in the end I reckon Twomey nailed it. 6+18 probably gets the deal done.

If our picks end up as per ESPN I will have to learn how to play some form of instrument so I can dance around, doing a jig, while playing it!

Bagpipes perhaps...?
I didn't mind that haul, Armstrong & Dodson are the right types to target, although Dodson is a ruckman and not a forward. Maybe Whitlock is better suited.

Reactions: 2 users
Rucks? We are desperate for a back up and a young strong ruck who can clunk a grab.
Not that early in the draft. I am not a fan of drafting rucks that early. Neither is Blair IMO.
I didn't mind that haul, Armstrong & Dodson are the right types to target, although Dodson is a ruckman and not a forward. Maybe Whitlock is better suited.
Yep swap Dodson for Whitlock and we have a deal.

Reactions: 1 user
A lot seem to be in favour of working up the order to get FOS, Bully. RFC almost certainly is.

Twomey says 6+18 gets it done. There are other suitors for #2.

I'd always thought that the link of Carlton to FOS was romantic and nothing more. But it's getting around. They can offer 3+38. Thursfield can on trade from there. But it's getting messy.

Here's the thing. Once RFC misses FOS they may may pull out altogether. If Thursfield trades 2 for 3+38 that's all he gets.

If we offer North 10+18 for 2 Taylor and SOS get four cracks at Tauru before Thursfield. Risky. Thursfield surely has to hold his pick #2. It looks a no go.

Blair may do better than 6+18. Maybe 6+24. But in the end I reckon Twomey nailed it. 6+18 probably gets the deal done.
I can understand the desire to move up the order, a couple of quick midfielders are important planks in the rebuild, pick 18 probably a speculative tall. It's not a terrible outcome for Richmond. i still feel strongly about getting a pick to Langford territory, three A grade mids will give this draft the gold stamp.

Reactions: 1 users

Lalor and Jagga double yes please. I like Travaglia. Not sure about the rest.

I said it from a while out that Jagga could be the one to slide to 6 and got shouted down that it was ridiculous. Its entirely plausible now the closer we get to the draft IMO. I reckon its Carlton that are the driver of this, if they pick Draper at 3 then I think the Crows jump on Jagga, otherwise I'm not sure anyone else picks Jagga before our Pick 6.

Reactions: 2 users
I can understand the desire to move up the order, a couple of quick midfielders are important planks in the rebuild, pick 18 probably a speculative tall. It's not a terrible outcome for Richmond. i still feel strongly about getting a pick to Langford territory, three A grade mids will give this draft the gold stamp.
That’s why I prefer we keep 1 & 6 and target another top 5 pick. Maybe our focus should shift towards getting Adelaide’s pick 4. Dangle the carrot to them. Pick 10 & 18.

Ending up with Picks 1, 4 & 6 nets us 3 A Grade midfielders.

• Dislike
I said it from a while out that Jagga could be the one to slide to 6 and got shouted down that it was ridiculous. It’s entirely plausible now the closer we get to the draft IMO. I reckon its Carlton that are the driver of this, if they pick Draper at 3 then I think the Crows jump on Jagga, otherwise I'm not sure anyone else picks Jagga before our Pick 6.
If Carlton pick Draper then we go hard for Adelaide’s pick 4 on the night.

• Dislike
It looks like RFC is going Lalor FOS and the we're a 10 and 11, Bully. Looks like we're out of the race for Langford.

On RFC and Langford there was a link in August but nothing since. Nada. But plenty of Smillie scuttlebutt. FWIW I think the Taylor wants Smillie scuttlebutt is Taylor chaffing RFC as he did Matt Rosa and as he continues to do to Thursfield. Anyway that's my main interest. The game within the game.

On Langford. I was watching a game video last night. Langford falls to his knees. (He never does that.) Within a nanosecond he is standing. Less than the blink of an eye. An unusual athlete. Glamour footballer.

Reactions: 4 users
I'd say it's unlikely to happen before draft night.

So you wouldn't trade 6 & 23 for 2? Wow.

Pick 23 could potentially be traded for a 2025 first rounder - a pick which could be a top 6-10 pick depending on who we trade it to.

Pick 6 and a potential 2025 top pick? Could be a big price to pay.

Are you seeing much difference between Armstrong and the next forwards in Whitlock, Faull, Shanahan, Sims?

The way i see it we could take a tall early, but there are plenty in the 18 to 25 range.
Its eerily similar to 2017.
Instead we can load up on 4 mids and then take Whitlock & Faull.

Pick 23 could potentially be traded for a 2025 first rounder - a pick which could be a top 6-10 pick depending on who we trade it to.

Pick 6 and a potential 2025 top pick? Could be a big price to pay.
Who is trading a 25 first for 23?
Unless we are talking a top 4 club, the other club will be getting something back.

For example Bombers have 2 firsts next year, i'd guess could be anywhere 5 to 14.
They,d be desperate and drunk to straight swap for 23.
next year will have good players in the top 15