2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

Good effort by Bo Allan this week in high standard football.

Great size, he tackles for keeps and has good toe. His kicking whilst long, will be suspect to breaking down a bit though ILO.

Still think his best will be down back at AFL.
Agree with you on Armstrong,he should of done more on the weekend ,and really he should play well in the GF,,Rebels have a smallish back line .

Reactions: 1 user
This is one of Zips favorite move's by us (Not). Gets him going all the time...and who could argue that now.
BB I said it the day it happened.
I haven't waited till Holmes became a top 20 player.
Never ever do the opposition any favours.
Especially with Geelong.

What needs to be answered why didn't we know this kid?

Reactions: 3 users
Sorry you are correct. He did only play one Coates game and a couple at school in the two years before getting drafted.

His draft year was of course a wipeout due to Covid. Posted before he played more.

Makes Wells move for him even more amazing. Balls of steel backing himself in like that.
This is what Twomey said in his phantom where he made a late appearance just before the draft. Had him at 23 going to Melbourne and he was picked at 20.

MAX HOLMES

POS: Midfielder
Ht 189cm, Wt 74kg, DOB 29/8/02
From Sandringham Dragons/Vic Metro

There's always room for a smokey. Holmes would be a genuine surprising inclusion in the top-30, but it is not beyond the realms. The excellent athlete shapes as a real bolter given he has played so little football in the talent pathway, but he put himself on the map with his testing, when he ran 2.8 seconds in the 20-metre sprint and 6:25 in the 2km time trial. He played one game for Sandringham last year having given away an athletics career, with his mother Lee Naylor a former Olympian and Commonwealth Games gold medallist.

What keeps Geelong and Sydney up.
Is there recruiting team. Plucking Warner's and Campbell's and Rowbottoms.
Geelong gets them because of the so called sea change every 2nd bloke walks our of their own club to head down the highway to play for them and Sydney because they aren't in the Victorian footy bubble.
It might not give them flags all the time but they don't fall into a heap like we do.

Reactions: 4 users
What keeps Geelong and Sydney up.
Is there recruiting team. Plucking Warner's and Campbell's and Rowbottoms.
Geelong gets them because of the so called sea change every 2nd bloke walks our of their own club to head down the highway to play for them and Sydney because they aren't in the Victorian footy bubble.
It might not give them flags all the time but they don't fall into a heap like we do.
Both have distinct advantages and then you chuck in the the academy for Sydney along with above average drafting by both and you are away.

The good judges like Rowbottom.

Reckon my call of our first might be a bit early but I’d definitely have this boy in the mix for any pick after 30.

Competive beast. Inside machine, averaging 6 clearances a week. Like Worpel & Graham efficiency isn’t great by foot but that’s more a result of the role. With space and time he’s kicking is fine. At 185cm he’s not that ultra tall mid but he’s bigger than Rory Sloane and if he springs up another 2-3cm he’s Bryce Gibbs size. At worst in year one he can be the Anthony Miles replacement if we have injuries but by 21 he could be much more.

Reactions: 2 users
Good effort by Bo Allan this week in high standard football.

Great size, he tackles for keeps and has good toe. His kicking whilst long, will be suspect to breaking down a bit though ILO.

He is a beast. Tough, fast and two-way. Could be an elite half back or winger/onballer. His kicks under pressure are what’s stopping him being a lock for top 5. Booming kick but no finesse

Reactions: 3 users
This is what Twomey said in his phantom where he made a late appearance just before the draft. Had him at 23 going to Melbourne and he was picked at 20.

MAX HOLMES

POS: Midfielder
Ht 189cm, Wt 74kg, DOB 29/8/02
From Sandringham Dragons/Vic Metro

There's always room for a smokey. Holmes would be a genuine surprising inclusion in the top-30, but it is not beyond the realms. The excellent athlete shapes as a real bolter given he has played so little football in the talent pathway, but he put himself on the map with his testing, when he ran 2.8 seconds in the 20-metre sprint and 6:25 in the 2km time trial. He played one game for Sandringham last year having given away an athletics career, with his mother Lee Naylor a former Olympian and Commonwealth Games gold medallist.

Yep as Leysy said. Genius selection and even better (and ballsy) trade on draft night. Pulled Blair's pants down.

Twomey usually gets good mail close to the draft as word gets out from clubs (afl and coates, player mgr's).

I bet Twomey didn't have Holmes in his sights throughout the year. His phantom would have been purely from mail.

Reactions: 6 users
a kid whose about to earn $25m* playing footy for the next 15 years knuckling down reading Albert Camus and getting tutored on calculus?

I wouldn't want to be taking that bow in carry on luggage

*indexed
If his mum is like my mum was, he's doing calculus this year.

The only draft revisionism I practice is to denigrate the opposition for not taking Richmond champions.

and I dont even really like doing that, cause Tom Scully and Albert Proud are probably great blokes, who had no input into their draft position.

tigers will get 2024 right whichever way they go I reckon
Albert Proud jailed for 5 years in 2016 for bashing his missus. Not a great bloke.

• Wow
Both have distinct advantages and then you chuck in the the academy for Sydney along with above average drafting by both and you are away.

The good judges like Rowbottom.
was on the coaching staff at oakleigh in Rowbum's draft year, had a lot of admirers who were going about it quietly as they thought they'd get him a bit later than where he landed.

Reactions: 1 users
was on the coaching staff at oakleigh in Rowbum's draft year, had a lot of admirers who were going about it quietly as they thought they'd get him a bit later than where he landed.
Most clubs were probably put off by him being Brian Taylor’s nephew….. :)

• Haha