2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

There was an article about Humphries that busted that myth.

Evidently was coming off injury and limited training and started the year in the ressies. Played a few reserve games and then went into the firsts and spent the rest of the year playing well at WAFL level.

Played 9 senior and 11 reserves WAFL games last year. Inspired selection.

Still reckon the first-round pick swap and then selection of Max Holmes he did is just about the best draft move done.

Certainly on draft night.

Unbelievable the audacity to do that. He's just about the best young player in the game now.

Reactions: 3 users

Still reckon the first-round pick swap and then selection of Max Holmes he did is just about the best draft move done.

Unbelievable the audacity to do that. He's just about the best young player in the game now.
He played the ressies finals because he qualified by playing earlier in the year. Not questioning that it was a great pick, just that there is a bit of mayo put on it.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/1217618...hries-leap-from-wa-ressies-to-big-time-finals

I checked the history of Holmes a while ago and Cal Twomey had him as a last minute entry into the 20s in his draft rankings after him not being ranked by anyone during the year. He must have seen or heard something.

Reactions: 1 users
Harry Armstrong. The draft range stretches from top 5 to after 20.

If the draft was done after the champs, he is top 5. Hasn't set the world on fire since then.

If he is on the board after ten, I can't see us passing him up.

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 user

This is one of Zips favorite move's by us (Not). Gets him going all the time...and who could argue that now.

Yep,don't you rate premierships more than Brownlows .
Mitchell has a much better defensive game than Harvey ,and is more physical ,,it';s all about the premierships ,and nothing else matters....
I am sure evry player would prefer the former.

Not sure how brownlows came into it, not sure they are a sign of selfishness. And plenty have won both. Given an individual is only one of more than 20 in a team on game day it's hard to expect one player to be able to single handedly control premiership outcomes (dusty obviously excluded)

Jagga & FOS have a very complimentary partnership going, hoping we get both. Add Lalor so all future arguments can be around who is the better tigers footballer.

Reactions: 2 users
He played the ressies finals because he qualified by playing earlier in the year. Not questioning that it was a great pick, just that there is a bit of mayo put on it.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/1217618...hries-leap-from-wa-ressies-to-big-time-finals

I checked the history of Holmes a while ago and Cal Twomey had him as a last minute entry into the 20s in his draft rankings after him not being ranked by anyone during the year. He must have seen or heard something.

Yep Holmes played 1 Coates match in his bottom-age year all the rest school footy.

Then 9 Coates games in his injury interrupted draft year averaging 15 possessions, 1 tackle and no goals.

He did test the lights out at the combine for speed (2.80 sec for 20m) and endurance (athletics background).

But imagine if we swapped a future first round pick for pick 20 in a poor draft and selected someone with the above credentials that nearly everyone had going very late/rookie.

PRE would self combust.

But that is the genius of Wells.

Reactions: 9 users
Yep Holmes played 1 Coates match in his bottom-age year all the rest school footy.

Then 9 Coates games in his injury interrupted draft year averaging 15 possessions, 1 tackle and no goals.

He did test the lights out at the combine for speed (2.80 sec for 20m) and endurance (athletics background).

But imagine if we swapped a future first round pick for pick 20 in a poor draft and selected someone with the above credentials that nearly everyone had going very late/rookie.

PRE would self combust.

But that is the genius of Wells.

when I heard that Holmes mum was Lee Naylor, that's when I knew we had screwed up big time

Not being racist, but a white woman making the Olympics quarter finals twice in the 400m means his bloodlines where lightening quick

Reactions: 3 users
when I heard that Holmes mum was Lee Naylor, that's when I knew we had screwed up big time

Not being racist, but a white woman making the Olympics quarter finals twice in the 400m means his bloodlines where lightening quick
His uncle Shane Naylor was a 10.2 100m runner as well. Won a silver medal in the 1994 Commenwealth Games 4 x 100m relay.

Good effort by Bo Allan this week in high standard football.

Great size, he tackles for keeps and has good toe. His kicking whilst long, will be suspect to breaking down a bit though ILO.

Reactions: 7 users

It was based on best guess. Holmes had played one game of footy in 2 years so hadn't been seen since 2018 in any real football. He's family had huge disagreements with Sandy Dragons as they wanted him playing/training at Dragons and he was chasing his athletics and they weren't keen to give him much latitude.

It was based on best guess. Holmes had played one game of footy in 2 years so hadn't been seen since 2018 in any real football. He's family had huge disagreements with Sandy Dragons as they wanted him playing/training at Dragons and he was chasing his athletics and they weren't keen to give him much latitude.

Sorry you are correct. He did only play one Coates game and a couple at school in the two years before getting drafted.

His draft year was of course a wipeout due to Covid. Posted before he played more.

Makes Wells move for him even more amazing. Balls of steel backing himself in like that.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Good effort by Bo Allan this week in high standard football.

Great size, he tackles for keeps and has good toe. His kicking whilst long, will be suspect to breaking down a bit though ILO.

Of all the big bodied mids in the juniors touted as the next Cripps or Bont, I thought he looked the most likely. In the sense that you can see him lining up in the middle in round one next year. He's ready to go, bursting out of packs.

Marshall another 27 disposals and a goal yesterday, Brisbane have been kissed on the *smile*🤬
Unfortunately it's not luck, it is an ongoing reality. They (the northern state teams) will be getting these freebies every year. Year after year.

It's almost like that's what the "independent" AFL commission wants, as it ensures the NSW and QLD teams never need to bottom out thus ensuring the AFL will make more money.

• Angry