2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

From Scribe Sports​

Richmond​

Picks: 1*, 21*, 33*, 39*, 41*, 51*, 57*, 64*, 72*

The Tigers already hold a solid draft hand, currently holding the prized No.1 pick. With the potential of benefiting from trades including Liam Baker, Shai Bolton and Daniel Rioli, Richmond are destined to hold the best draft hand in November. They would love to get to that night in September without losing key players like Bolton and Rioli, but have the flexibility to potentially bring in five or six first round draft picks. With Richmond having strong and contested midfielders like Tim Taranto and Jacob Hopper, a gun midfielder that uses the ball well and has speed could be the perfect fit for Richmond. They will also look to invest in their key forward stocks, with Tom Lynch’s future uncertain due to injury and Mykelti Lefau’s recent ACL injury.

Finn O’Sullivan: 182cm, Midfielder – Oakleigh Chargers / Vic Country

We haven’t seen the best of O’Sullivan in 2024, with multiple finger injuries derailing his season so far. But that doesn’t take away from his talents and credentials being that of a very high pick. He won the Kevin Sheehan Medal two years ago as MVP of the Under-16 National Championships and made the All-Australian team as a bottom-ager after a brilliant Under-18 carnival last year. He is arguably the most well-rounded player in the draft, with great athleticism and a leap allowing him to take strong marks. He is also very agile, a beautiful kick and decision-maker with the ball in his hands. He could be the perfect fit for the Tigers and their resurgence in future years.

6e4b5c_36d62ffb74f649b4bc43997f1415e767~mv2.jpg

Finn O'Sullivan playing for Oakleigh Chargers last year. (Photo: Blair Burns)

Other options:

Highly-touted midfielder Jagga Smith has also been heavily linked to Richmond, having trained with the club in the pre-season through the AFL Academy. He has also played for the club’s VFL side in recent weeks, producing some massive numbers. He is a lovely kick and a natural ball-winner who could add plenty to the club as well. Top key forwards like Jobe Shanahan and Jonty Faull will also be heavily considered by Richmond as they look to replenish stocks for their big men at the forward end.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Not obliged at all.
There's no clear number 1. He may be the Sun’s preference but he hasn’t done nearly enough to be a clear number 1.
Yeah and the Suns are perennially shithouse so you’d almost be inclined to disregard what they think. Sorry FOS.

Reactions: 1 users
Perhaps, but there's always plenty of very similar type players available to the meat market most seasons.
Scablett, Clench, Duckwood.
Fyfe.
Bumpmytelly.
The Harley. Massive potential.
Great Horney toads, Rozee, Butters. Perhaps a tier down but still developing.
Penderbury, K Mart Dusty.
Judd. Cuz. Kerr.
Hodgey Podgey, Mitchell. Perhaps a tier down but both premium players.
Peetracca close n Oliver coulda been close but he looks to be singeing his career rep.
Ashcroft. Another massive potential.

The standout KPP, especially forwards are much rarer n so much harder to find.
Similar maybe but thats selling Dusty short.
None of the above have the oppos defenders shitting themselves when one on one.
Thats the difference and why the next Dusty is very rare.(Maybe it is Reid and thats 14yrs between Dusty and Reid which is about right)

Reactions: 1 user
That's all fine Ghost. I'm not in any way suggesting that he's just a locked in footy knucklehead. What I am querying is the fact that firstly he's pretty much got a development head start on the other kids by dedicating this year pretty much solely to his footy development,as did Higlett ( who I still reckon is a fairly decent player ). So his fitness and his craft would be a tad more developed than the other kids. Secondly he appears a bit to be an accumulative distributor that does lots of small safe work very well. Skinny light body so perhaps doesn't have a pack break capacity or thumping powerful ball distribution. I could be n happy to be proven wrong but I'm thinking perhaps a neat n tidy nibbler rather than a chomp n much player that might already be nearer his development peak than some other players.
Could be just that I'm pissed there's no stand out number 1 pick when it's finally our turn at the lucky dip, but I'm hoping we get some sort of kaboom for our first pick, not just yeah nice.
Is there a standout next year?:D

We should look to bend over Brisbane Gold Coast and Freo this trade period.
I'm hoping the Suns get Pick 4 for Lukosius.
Rioli>>4 & 6
Bolton>>7 12 & 16

1-Fos
4-Jagga
6-Lalor
7-Langford
12-Berry
16-Sims

• Love
  • Wow
Reactions: 7 users
Rioli>>4 & 6
Bolton>>7 12 & 16

1-Fos
4-Jagga
6-Lalor
7-Langford
12-Berry
16-Sims

would be an incredible group

id sell anyone on our list for that lot.

Rioli>>4 & 6
Bolton>>7 12 & 16

1-Fos
4-Jagga
6-Lalor
7-Langford
12-Berry
16-Sims
HUN is talking about a single future 2nd rounder getting it done for Lukosius so you can forget pick 4

Reactions: 3 users
Herald Sun

Chris Cavanagh and Dan Batten's Top 50 prospects

Click to read all about the AFL's next generation of stars

1. Jagga Smith

2. Levi Ashcroft

3. Finn O'Sullivan

4. Josh Smillie

5. Sid Draper

6. Sam Lalor

7. Luke Trainor

8. Murphy Reid

9. Harry Armstrong

10. Harvey Langford

11. Leo Lombard

12. Bo Allan

13. Isaac Kako

14. Tobie Travaglia

15 Taj Hotton

16. Matt Whitlock

17. Xavier Lindsay

18. Christian Moraes

19. Joe Berry

20. Jack Whitlock

21. Jobe Shanahan

22. Alex Dodson

23. Sam Marshall

24. Cooper Hynes

25. Tom Gross

26. Jonty Faull

27. Logan Smith

28. Harrison Oliver

29. Noah Mraz

30. Alixzander Tauru

31. Jesse Dattoli

32. Tom Sims

33. Harry O'Farrell

34. Ben Camporeale

35. Angus Clarke

36. Adrian Cole

37. Archer Day-Wicks

38. Charlie Nicholls

39. Xavier Ivisic

40. Lachie Jaques

41. Josh Dolan

42. Jasper Alger

43. Joel Cochran

44. Clancy Dennis

45. Lucas Camporeale

46. James Barrat

47. Ollie Warburton

48. Jaxon Artemis

49. Malakai Champion

50. Tyler Welsh

Inside 50 Newsletter

Reactions: 1 user
Cal Twomey's August phantom form guide https://www.afl.com.au/news/1195410

Hmmm a few sliders in there that might impact trading strategy. Does Lombard fall that far? If so, GCS might hang onto their 1st. What about North, do they go with yet another midfielder or try and trade back, might that work for us?

Also how funny is the comment around Kako, "It comes as the Bombers need a player like Kako, a talented, crumbing small forward with a real eye for goal". Isn't that why they got Gresham in and paid him big $'s?

Last edited: