2021 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2021 Draft Thread

Judson is one of my sleepers….

Have you seen him play? What's his defensive pressure like? His highlights don't really show any of it, but his offensive characteristics are very good. Plus we need to add some lefties back in the team having lost Grigga and Houli over the last few years.

Reactions: 1 user
As is our recruiting team. FWIW when the soft cap cuts came along we didn't lose anyone from our recruiting Dept.
2004 is a great lesson for many reasons, we knocked back Brent Moloney & Corey Enright for pick 12 & 16, that was mistake number 1. We then didn't take a tall to replace Ottens and we all know how that went. We also chose two skinny outside players instead of hatdened footballers like Monfries. It really was butchery on a grand scale. I expect Clarke to get the job done but no need for cuteness and needless trading in the top 10.

Reactions: 6 users
Have you seen him play? What's his defensive pressure like? His highlights don't really show any of it, but his offensive characteristics are very good. Plus we need to add some lefties back in the team having lost Grigga and Houli over the last few years.
Yes.

It’s probably an area for improvement but what’s harder to develop - a kid who can’t kick or run v getting them to apply more defensive pressure ? Easily fixed.

He reminds me of Craig Macrae (Brisbane). Annoying as all hell. Excellent finishing. One of those bug bear small forwards who gets up the ground a bit higher and can hurt you with 7-10 possessions.

A later pick …but someone who in 3 years time who could be an annoying player for opposition clubs to contend with.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Yes.

It’s probably an area for improvement but what’s harder to develop - a kid who can’t kick or run v getting them to apply more defensive pressure ? Easily fixed.

He reminds me of Craig Macrae (Brisbane). Annoying as all hell. Excellent finishing. One of those bug bear small forwards who gets up the ground a bit higher and can hurt you with 7-10 possessions.

A later pick …but someone who in 3 years time who could be an annoying player for opposition clubs to contend with.
Well said. For me, it’s also the ability to finish goals from distance, darts from 40-50 on the run. Low fast through the air. Not just finishing goals that way but a delight to lead to. We really don’t help Lynch or Jack with the kicking inside 50. Clarke will help that and so would Sonsie.

Finishers that help other finishers.

Reactions: 9 users
Well said. For me, it’s also the ability to finish goals from distance, darts from 40-50 on the run. Low fast through the air. Not just finishing goals that way but a delight to lead to. We really don’t help Lynch or Jack with the kicking inside 50. Clarke will help that and so would Sonsie.

Finishers that help other finishers.
This is such a good call. We do often burn Riewoldt and Lynch on the lead. Im
All for targeting good kicks in this draft. Sonsie is the dream at 15 (17)

Reactions: 1 users
This is such a good call. We do often burn Riewoldt and Lynch on the lead. Im
All for targeting good kicks in this draft. Sonsie is the dream at 15 (17)

I agree, would love Sonsie at our 2nd pick. We'd start him as a small forward and then focus on getting him midfield minutes. Having him as one of our small forwards next year would be great for us IMO.

Reactions: 5 users
I agree, would love Sonsie at our 2nd pick. We'd start him as a small forward and then focus on getting him midfield minutes. Having him as one of our small forwards next year would be great for us IMO.
Yep, he can absolutely play that role. We need kickers with class and pace. Finishers. After mids, it’s the spot to fill in this draft.

Reactions: 8 users
2004 is a great lesson for many reasons, we knocked back Brent Moloney & Corey Enright for pick 12 & 16, that was mistake number 1. We then didn't take a tall to replace Ottens and we all know how that went. We also chose two skinny outside players instead of hatdened footballers like Monfries. It really was butchery on a grand scale. I expect Clarke to get the job done but no need for cuteness and needless trading in the top 10.
It almost seems like it's the Clubs chance to right those wrongs if that makes sense, both great hands but the Club was a rabble then & is a much better run organisation now. We got that Draft overall horribly wrong & it set us back many yrs, get this 1 right it can set us up for the next decade along with next yrs picks. Fox reporting GWS won't part with pick 2 unless it's for a godfather offer which we'd be silly to offer up, given it'll be a bidding war to get that pick & that always means paying overs. Our hand is brilliant if we combine this yrs & next yrs picks overall & they shape as the Clubs most important Draft(s) for some time.

Reactions: 2 users
As is our recruiting team. FWIW when the soft cap cuts came along we didn't lose anyone from our recruiting Dept.
Probably the most important position at a club, ya don't pick the right players ya don't even play finals.

Not sure 2004 is a great example. Yes, we were a rabble but that draft was probably the shallowest talent pool in draft history

From memory we used 7 picks in total, 5 inside the top 20 yet the entire pool contained only 6 or 7 decent players all bar one (Travis Cloak who was a f/s btw) were inside the top 10. Hawks then proceeded to win the draft lottery taking the three best players with their first three picks! No wonder they won a 3-peat 10 years later.

Anyway, my point? Luck. Much of recruiting still comes down to plain old luck. Also don’t rule out trading into the top 10. Two picks inside the top 10 has a far greater chance of producing two “generational” type 200 gamers than 5 picks inside the top 30.

Reactions: 4 users
Saw that Callaghan kid on the news last night. How the hell does an 18 y.o. running athlete carry a double chin???? Weird place to try n hide the puppy fat.

• Haha
Not sure 2004 is a great example. Yes, we were a rabble but that draft was probably the shallowest talent pool in draft history

From memory we used 7 picks in total, 5 inside the top 20 yet the entire pool contained only 6 or 7 decent players all bar one (Travis Cloak who was a f/s btw) were inside the top 10. Hawks then proceeded to win the draft lottery taking the three best players with their first three picks! No wonder they won a 3-peat 10 years later.

Anyway, my point? Luck. Much of recruiting still comes down to plain old luck. Also don’t rule out trading into the top 10. Two picks inside the top 10 has a far greater chance of producing two “generational” type 200 gamers than 5 picks inside the top 30.
Well. I beg to differ, after selecting Fiora over Pavlich I would have thought the club might try something different? Perhaps grab Buddy instead of Tambling? Hawthorn had inferior picks yet set the club up for a dynasty, we also knocked back a player who would be a six time All Australian. Part of effective list management is assessing the draft & establishing whether the cattle is superior to the open market, we clearly got that part horribly wrong.

1. Deledio
5. Franklin

Traded in Enright & Moloney

20. Maric (instead of Patto)

The fact we made the same mistake with JON in 2005 is not only a comedy of errors it's bordering on criminal. We missed out in a draft that was akin to shooting fish in a bucket, imagine adding Hurn or Birchall to the mix above, or even Varcoe who was part of the conversation.

Things only improved with the arrival of Frank, you couldn't get a better illustration as to the impact a different set of eyes can have on a list. We went from the laughing stock of the competition to genuine contenders in the space of 4 drafts, that is how quickly things can change with astute recruiting.

Reactions: 11 users
Assuming Johnson is gone is Fahey a chance at 17?

Another bottom aged player wth height, speed and kick (off the left), who hasn’t put a foot wrong.

9) Erasmus or Ward.
17 Fahey (will be there) or Van Rooyen.
28 Alleer. “
29 Fejo. “
30 Howes, then Chesser, MacDonald, Knivett or Taylor.

The suggestion that we might give up our three second rounder’s to get St Kilda’s first at 11, to allow us to take Johnson, has it’s attraction but should still be a loud no.
Alleer, Fejo both likely to be available, plus any of those listed at 30 would make such an exchange a pretty wild bet, in this extremely strong draft.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Assuming Johnson is gone is Fahey a chance at 17?

Another bottom aged player wth height, speed and kick (off the left), who hasn’t put a foot wrong.

9) Erasmus or Ward.
17 Fahey (will be there) or Van Rooyen.
28 Alleer. “
29 Fejo. “
30 Howes, then Chesser, MacDonald, Knivett or Taylor.

The suggestion that we might give up our three second rounder’s to get St Kilda’s first at 11, to allow us to take Johnson, has it’s attraction but should still be a loud no.
Alleer, Fejo both likely to be available, plus any of those listed at 30 would make such an exchange a pretty wild bet, in this extremely strong draft.

I would expect GWS to match Fahey, even that high. There 2 50's picks will come in to around 46 and 47 by then amounting to 647 points. At 17 they would need 820 points to match (after discount) but they also have pick 71 (which will come in to about 65 by then) so I would expect them to match. They may have a slight loss to carry forward but they will match. Happy to bid but don't expect to get him.

I'd still love Sonsie at 17 and would be open to trading up with some of our 28-30 picks, but not all of them.

Reactions: 4 users
I would expect GWS to match Fahey, even that high. There 2 50's picks will come in to around 46 and 47 by then amounting to 647 points. At 17 they would need 820 points to match (after discount) but they also have pick 71 (which will come in to about 65 by then) so I would expect them to match. They may have a slight loss to carry forward but they will match. Happy to bid but don't expect to get him.

I'd still love Sonsie at 17 and would be open to trading up with some of our 28-30 picks, but not all of them.
Thanks for your analysis.
Sonsie would be a good choice, but a great back line, led in two grand finals by a breakaway hbf with a left foot won us those two grand finals.
Fahey looks to me every inch capable of matching those feats.
He will be available and if they match I’d be happy enough with Sonsie. (Query can they match a pick under 20)?
Our last three as things stand, have us in an excellent position. I’d love to get Erasmus and Johnson, but we differ on the notion that we should trade the second rounders.
But love your passion, as I do most on here.

Thanks for your analysis.
Sonsie would be a good choice, but a great back line, led in two grand finals by a breakaway hbf with a left foot won us those two grand finals.
Fahey looks to me every inch capable of matching those feats.
He will be available and if they match I’d be happy enough with Sonsie. (Query can they match a pick under 20)?
Our last three as things stand, have us in an excellent position. I’d love to get Erasmus and Johnson, but we differ on the notion that we should trade the second rounders.
But love your passion, as I do most on here.
They can match a bid under 20 unfortunately. The change of the first 20 picks being protected (and 40 for metro areas) was NGA specific, meaning the Northern academies aren't affected.

Agree on a breakaway half back and Sinn or Fahey would be good additions to our backline and I wouldn't be unhappy with either.

I'm kind of on the same viewpoint as Bully, that our 20's picks are slightly too late, and the players I'd like might well be off the board hence willing to trade up.

If for example, we took Johnson, Ward or Erasmus with our 1st and keeping it simple, Fahey or Sinn with our 2nd. I'd want to trade up to ensure we got MacDonald as I think he's perfect for us. I'd be happy to trade up and hopefully get a 40's pick back in the trade and use that to take 1 of Judson Clarke, or Fejo to add to our small forwards. There are several players in that 40-50 region that I think have some real upside, players like Lohmann, Lord, Warner, Curtis too.

Reactions: 1 users
Sinn is a fascinating prospect. Everything points to him being the one that people look back on and go "how the hell did he go at the pick?"

Sinn and Sonsie could be two of the best 5 taken in this draft. Wouldn't shock me a bit.