2021 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2021 Draft Thread

The final AFL Draft Power Rankings for 2021 are here, with an extended Top 50 prospects for the upcoming nights of November 24 and 25.
This is why I'm hesitant to give up multiple picks in this draft, too much talent on offer. Late 20's to 30's a player like Sheldrick could add value to our midfield stocks.
Of course, it all depends on what we have already picked with our first 3 to 4 picks.

25. Angus Sheldrick
Claremont/Western Australia | Inside Midfielder

07/11/2003 | 179cm | 84kg

WAFL Colts: 9 games | 25.8 disp | 4.1 tackles | 1.0 goals

Possibly the best player across the State Championships, Sheldrick is a contested bull that rips the ball out of stoppages and lays tackles with intent. Questions surrounded his work outside of the stoppage, but he put them to rest with aggressive running patterns and sound ball use during his games against South Australia, which included starting attacking chains and buttering up 50 metres down the field with an outstanding work rate. Sheldrick starred in his WAFL finals campaign and has cemented himself as a bolter of the draft class.

Best traits similar to: Dion Prestia

Draft range: Second Round

Reactions: 5 users
The final AFL Draft Power Rankings for 2021 are here, with an extended Top 50 prospects for the upcoming nights of November 24 and 25.
This is why I'm hesitant to give up multiple picks in this draft, too much talent on offer. Late 20's to 30's a player like Sheldrick could add value to our midfield stocks.
Of course, it all depends on what we have already picked with our first 3 to 4 picks.

25. Angus Sheldrick
Claremont/Western Australia | Inside Midfielder

07/11/2003 | 179cm | 84kg

WAFL Colts: 9 games | 25.8 disp | 4.1 tackles | 1.0 goals

Possibly the best player across the State Championships, Sheldrick is a contested bull that rips the ball out of stoppages and lays tackles with intent. Questions surrounded his work outside of the stoppage, but he put them to rest with aggressive running patterns and sound ball use during his games against South Australia, which included starting attacking chains and buttering up 50 metres down the field with an outstanding work rate. Sheldrick starred in his WAFL finals campaign and has cemented himself as a bolter of the draft class.

Best traits similar to: Dion Prestia

Draft range: Second Round

Based on those power rankings we walk away with Hobbs, van Rooyen, Clarke, Long & Bazzo. That's an ok blend but our midfield still crying out for reinforcements.

Reactions: 1 users
Based on those power rankings we walk away with Hobbs, van Rooyen, Clarke, Long & Bazzo. That's an ok blend but our midfield still crying out for reinforcements.

Going by Inner Sanctum, I had our picks at 9, 17, 28, 29, 30 = Gibcus, NWM, Taylor, Long and Clarke
Of course, depends on where gws and saints academy players go, wouldn't be at all surprised to see either Owens or fahey bid on the late first round.

Going by Inner Sanctum, I had our picks at 9, 17, 28, 29, 30 = Gibcus, NWM, Taylor, Long and Clarke
Of course, depends on where gws and saints academy players go, wouldn't be at all surprised to see either Owens or fahey bid on the late first round.
I think Fahey pushes the pick out to 29? Means we miss out on Taylor. Don't mind Bazzo but this is a midfielders draft.

Still a ways to go but looking like one of Ward or Hobbs may be available at 9.

Latest goss is the top 10 is going as follows:

1. JHF
2. Darcy
3. Daicos
4. Callaghan
5. Andrew
6. Rachele
7. Gibcus
8. Amiss - listened to the Hard Ball Gets podcast. WA U18 Coach is interviewed and confirmed he thinks Amiss will be the first of the WA boys to go with both him and Johnson having top 10 interest
9. Hobbs or Ward
10. Johnson

So much for it being a weak draft for talls - 4 in the top 8

WA coach also expects JVR to go 1st Round and Erasmus in the top 15.
What a choice that would be,
Hobbs,Ward, Johnson,
Hell I want all 3.

I think Fahey pushes the pick out to 29? Means we miss out on Taylor. Don't mind Bazzo but this is a midfielders draft.

That it is a mids draft, but as we know come draft night likely half of what inner sanctum have stated will not occur. I still think (hoping) one of Taylor or MacDonald will be available at our picks.

eDPS has the following March 2020 testing numbers for Hobbs and Ward.

Hobbs:
20m 3.16
Agility 8.15
RVJ 83

That would put Hobbs agility top 10 of this years crop for the National combine and his 83 running vertical jump puts him just outside the top 10.

Ward:
20m 3.12
Agility 8.57
RVJ 69

I have no idea if these are 100% correct but if they are, it would maybe alay concerns a bit around Hobbs athleticism - at least where agility and vertical is concerned.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
eDPS has the following March 2020 testing numbers for Hobbs and Ward.

Hobbs:
20m 3.16
Agility 8.15

That would put Hobbs agility top 10 of this years crop for the National combine and his 83 running vertical jump puts him just outside the top 10.

Ward:
20m 3.12
Agility 8.57
RVJ 69

I have no idea if these are 100% correct but if they are, it would maybe alay concerns a bit around Hobbs athleticism - at least where agility and vertical is concerned.
Cheers Red, Bont ran a 3.15 so no need to panic. It does beg the question though, Johnson is clearly the best athlete out of the big 3 at pick 9. I'm pretty close to edging him ahead of Ward, but I think we'll be spoilt for choice, I'm getting excited now.

Reactions: 2 users
Cheers Red, Bont ran a 3.15 so no need to panic. It does beg the question though, Johnson is clearly the best athlete out of the big 3 at pick 9. I'm pretty close to edging him ahead of Ward, but I think we'll be spoilt for choice, I'm getting excited now.
As eDPS pointed out, these are last year’s numbers. Ergo, you’d like to think there was improvement this year.

Reactions: 1 user
We want footballers not just athletes BH.

We need somehow get our hands on either St. Kilda's pick 9 or another pick in the very low teens. Could easily get both Hobbs and Johnson.

Reactions: 2 users
Ok we have spent 10 weeks and over 350 pages on who we should pick up.
Who will be the flops of the draft. Which kids have been over publicised better then they really are.
We all know 3-4 top 10 picks will be Hot Dogs and 5 of the next 10 Potatoe cakes.
Names??

Ok we have spent 10 weeks and over 350 pages on who we should pick up.
Who will be the flops of the draft. Which kids have been over publicised better then they really are.
We all know 3-4 top 10 picks will be Hot Dogs and 5 of the next 10 Potatoe cakes.
Names??
I reckon Milera

We want footballers not just athletes BH.

We need somehow get our hands on either St. Kilda's pick 9 or another pick in the very low teens. Could easily get both Hobbs and Johnson.
They're all footballers, but with all things being roughly equal I'm more inclined to grab the quick 192cm player.

Reactions: 1 user
Greenwood off to North, that sets an interesting precedent, maybe a warning sign for a more ruthless approach to rookies.

• Wow
Reactions: 4 users
Greenwood off to North, that sets an interesting precedent, maybe a warning sign for a more ruthless approach to rookies.
More power to Norf, incredibly smart move. But it changes GC at the draft, they will take one of Hobbs or Ward for sure now. Hurts us.

• Sad
Reactions: 3 users