2021 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2021 Draft Thread

I have Ward ranked at 5 & Johnson ranked at 6 so it's a line ball. I suppose it comes down to whether we can get a taller type down the order, more specifically Goater or Howes. If this looks likely I'd probably plump for Ward but only by a whisker.
Yep. Reckon line ball for a number of players. Don't think we lose either way.

Reactions: 1 user
The genius 'Peter' trading 7, 15 and future second to GWS for 2 and a future third, then offering 2 and a future first to Freo for 6 and 8.
If 'Freo' had agreed, that would have been:
In: 6, 8, future third
Out: 7, 15, future first, future second.

Wow. You can see why these guys get the big bucks.
I switched off when i heard that 1st 1 but had already posted it here & didn't hear the 2nd trade. That'd leave us with a F2 & F3 in a talls draft......

OK, hearing now that Mac Andrew isn't a lock for GWS at 2. They are warming to Rachele.

Clubs raving about Rachele's footy smarts, confidence and leadership traits. Seen as someone who has genuine swagger, not aggorance and is a very likeable kid. Won't shy away from big moments.

I didn't think he was that good to go top five but it seems like it's almost a certainty. Adelaide is also super keen.

It's all gossip at this point but for what it's worth this is from the same source who told me Melbourne were taking Luke Jackson a long way out from the draft.
For every bolter there will be a slider for us to take.

Interesting news, certainly opens things up a bit. This is really resembling the 2005 draft when Dale Thomas screamed up the charts in the final few days.

It would be ironic if Callaghan landed at 9 but I suspect he won't slide past Hawthorn. It does mean we're probably looking at Ward or Hobbs at our first selection.
I am all for keeping our current picks, but on a hypothetical, if those 2 are both there at 7 i.e 9 is it worth chatting to the saints about what will be 11 if Freo don't take the other & mention we are hot for one of thier NGA kids at 15 but won't take them with 11 if we get it in order to get the other. Again i am all for keeping our picks but would that be worth doing?

Agree. Reckon the best chance of getting a champion mid in the draft is always by recruiting a champion junior mid.
x2! we've tried that before with kids we picked & it failed miserably. especially trying to turn flankers into inside mids. very rarely does that pay off.

dependant on what list model we use on 2022, but if we go the same as 2021

We currently have 29 on main list so 7-9 spots open

If we plan to rookie Noah & Biggy we need to upgrade 2 rookies to main list meaning still min 5 & max 7 picks available
I not 100% on the rule re: how long u can have rookies on the rookie list for but i think Stack & Pickett would both need to be upgraded this yr. Last yr they got an extra yrs grace due to list rules changing but not 100% sure if that has changed back or not.

They are the latest insta-sensation i was alerted to by teenagers.

They do a freestyle rap called 'island boys'

That is soooooooooo bad, its made them a hit
Just youtubed them, some of the comments are gold "I can see that Chyrnobel's wildlife is still thriving".

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
You not worried about the potential bust factor with taking Andrew so high?

There is some risk with him no doubt mate, but with his skills and athletic prowess what is the worst he becomes? A very good key back?

Could Leysy throw your question back the other way:

Are you not worried about passing on a key tall (likely forward) with his skill set and he becomes a star that sets your team up for the next decade. He is a chance of that ILHO.

Unless you are consistently around the bottom of table opportunities to get his talent for his role come along pretty rarely. Could be years til we get a look like it again.

Reactions: 7 users
Sounds plausible - GWS must be confident that Mac gets past GC and Adelaide then. Sounds like Adelaide set on Rachele so that only leaves Goldy to lock onto someone else.

The AFL wanting the trade done on draft night sounds very likely. Didn't they use to ask trades to be done in the last hour of trade week to make the live show interesting and increase the exposure for the sponsors?
I reckon that's why there are no trades to be done in the week leading up to the Draft

I am all for keeping our current picks, but on a hypothetical, if those 2 are both there at 7 i.e 9 is it worth chatting to the saints about what will be 11 if Freo don't take the other & mention we are hot for one of thier NGA kids at 15 but won't take them with 11 if we get it in order to get the other. Again i am all for keeping our picks but would that be worth doing?
I'd trade the 20s picks to get pick 11, I'd want a junk pick however, there's bound to be a slider.

Reactions: 2 users
ST KILDA has boosted its draft points to match bids for Next Generation Academy pair Mitchito Owens and Marcus Windhager by completing a picks swap with Collingwood.

With the deadline for pick swaps closing in on Monday, the Saints and Magpies agreed to a deal on Friday.

The Pies sent their pick 55 to St Kilda in exchange for a future fourth-round pick next year, which is tied to Adelaide's finishing position.

Mitchito-Owens-attempts-to-tackle-Tom-Silvagni-in-Sandringham-s-NAB-League-clash-with-Oakleigh-on-April-5-2021.jpg

Mitchito Owens attempts to tackle Tom Silvagni in Sandringham's NAB League clash with Oakleigh on April 5, 2021. Picture: AFL Photos

It leaves St Kilda with picks 9, 55, 62, 66, 67 and 85, with bids for Owens and Windhager expected to come in the second round.

Collingwood will enter the draft with six live picks but will only use three or four selections at the draft with extra points banked to match an early bid for Nick Daicos

ST KILDA has boosted its draft points to match bids for Next Generation Academy pair Mitchito Owens and Marcus Windhager by completing a picks swap with Collingwood.

With the deadline for pick swaps closing in on Monday, the Saints and Magpies agreed to a deal on Friday.

The Pies sent their pick 55 to St Kilda in exchange for a future fourth-round pick next year, which is tied to Adelaide's finishing position.

Mitchito-Owens-attempts-to-tackle-Tom-Silvagni-in-Sandringham-s-NAB-League-clash-with-Oakleigh-on-April-5-2021.jpg

Mitchito Owens attempts to tackle Tom Silvagni in Sandringham's NAB League clash with Oakleigh on April 5, 2021. Picture: AFL Photos

It leaves St Kilda with picks 9, 55, 62, 66, 67 and 85, with bids for Owens and Windhager expected to come in the second round.

Collingwood will enter the draft with six live picks but will only use three or four selections at the draft with extra points banked to match an early bid for Nick Daicos

Probably unlikely to get pick 11, I'd be switching the focus to pick 19, if that goes through then ring St Kilda and tell them Owens is coming to Richmond.

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Probably unlikely to get pick 11, I'd be switching the focus to pick 19, if that goes through then ring St Kilda and tell them Owens is coming to Richmond.

I like your thinking, basically, hand over pick 11 or we take Owens. the Saints however could call our bluff.

I'm prepared.

9. Gibcus
17. Goater
21. Taylor
30. Murley
52. Fejo Jnr / Harrison / Browne / Dittmar

Calder Cannons product Josh Goater is being tipped by many to go inside the top 20 at this month’s AFL Draft.
Asked to name the clubs that have shown more interest, Goater was forthcoming.
“Essendon, Hawthorn, Sydney and GWS,” he revealed.

I like your thinking, basically, hand over pick 11 or we take Owens. the Saints however could call our bluff.
Owens will be thereabouts so you would have them thinking, worth a try at least.

Calder Cannons product Josh Goater is being tipped by many to go inside the top 20 at this month’s AFL Draft.
Asked to name the clubs that have shown more interest, Goater was forthcoming.
“Essendon, Hawthorn, Sydney and GWS,” he revealed.

If he doesn't slip through then I'd switch the focus to Blake Howes. Could take Sonsie at 17 & Howes at 21.

Reactions: 1 users
Owens will be thereabouts so you would have them thinking, worth a try at least.

If he doesn't slip through then I'd switch the focus to Blake Howes. Could take Sonsie at 17 & Howes at 21.

True on Owens and on Goater, next week I'm going to post my preferred 5 picks for the draft and will leave Goater out, as he's most likely going to Ess (13) or GWS (15) as they have picks before us. Sydney is one pick after us (18) and the hawk's next pick is 21.