2021 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2021 Draft Thread

dependant on what list model we use on 2022, but if we go the same as 2021

We currently have 29 on main list so 7-9 spots open

If we plan to rookie Noah & Biggy we need to upgrade 2 rookies to main list meaning still min 5 & max 7 picks available
I'd think with our cap apparently filled to the brim, then we would take the minimum on the main list, so that means 36. How we make that up remains to be seen.

We could take 5 picks, then promote 2 rookies, or we take 4 picks and promote 3 rookies. I can't see a scenario where we take more than 5 in the draft, we will want to maximise the amount of cash we get outside of the TPP for rookies.

Reactions: 1 user
All of these are very strong points Bully. Perhaps this is more an idealogical and philosophical debate more than anything. Rationalism versus empiricism.

How to do you measure position specific footy IQ - i.e. natural, innate ability to excel in a particular position over and above another? True, the very best can play in multiple positions. Is Goater one of the very best? Maybe. If so, surely we would have seen him excel as a mid in his junior footy.

Don't mean to offend anyone but IMO the role of HBF is one of the easiest to play on the ground. Just so much easier to read the play. Would much prefer a mid that has already shown innate ability in the guts with our first (or Rochelle who will be capable of anything).

Agree that Goater is good value at 17, but I reckon Sonsie at 17 will be even better value.
Measuring football IQ is tough and I suppose that's where DE comes into play, but I see Goater's handballing as a decent enough weapon & I also think his propensity to take the game on another feather in the cap. The kicking can definitely be refined but these things can be improved over time.

I have Goater ranked 10th & Sonsie 11th so I'm fine taking Sonsie as well, but I would look at grabbing Howes with my third pick. in order to add a wingman.

9. Johnson
17. Sonsie

31 & 32 bundled to get up the order

21. Howes
30. Taylor/McDonald/Murley

With the bundling of picks I would grab a junk pick which is right on the cusp of the third round, this pick will come in by roughly ten spots. I still like Dean here although there's guys like Fejo Jnr, Browne, Harrison & Dittmar who could come into calculations.

Reactions: 1 users
All of these are very strong points Bully. Perhaps this is more an idealogical and philosophical debate more than anything. Rationalism versus empiricism.

How to do you measure position specific footy IQ - i.e. natural, innate ability to excel in a particular position over and above another? True, the very best can play in multiple positions. Is Goater one of the very best? Maybe. If so, surely we would have seen him excel as a mid in his junior footy.

Don't mean to offend anyone but IMO the role of HBF is one of the easiest to play on the ground. Just so much easier to read the play. Would much prefer a mid that has already shown innate ability in the guts with our first (or Rochelle who will be capable of anything).

Agree that Goater is good value at 17, but I reckon Sonsie at 17 will be even better value.
great post!

They are the latest insta-sensation i was alerted to by teenagers.

They do a freestyle rap called 'island boys'

That is soooooooooo bad, its made them a hit
sign of the times ... stop the world i wanna get off !

I reckon if Callaghan and Ward are gone, they may well take Andrew. It seems like at least 1 of Hobbs or Gibcus will be available at out pick.
It would be funny if Gibcus was. Most of the 100s of draft permutations run through this thread would be for naught! :D

BF rumour doing the rounds. Probably untrue but its enough to past the time.

Pick 2 + 2022 2nd round pick to Hawks in exchange for Pick 5 & Future 1st to GWS.

GWS to select Andrew at 5(7).

AFL wants it done live during the draft night so wont be announced until then.

Hawks I assume then take Callaghan.

Is the top 10 going to be announced from 1 to 10 or are they going to go Hollywood and go 10 to 1?

• Haha
It would be funny if Gibcus was. Most of the 100s of draft permutations run through this thread would be for naught! :D
I'm prepared.

9. Gibcus
17. Goater
21. Taylor
30. Murley
52. Fejo Jnr / Harrison / Browne / Dittmar

Pick 2 + 2022 2nd round pick to Hawks in exchange for Pick 5 & Future 1st to GWS.

Sounds plausible - GWS must be confident that Mac gets past GC and Adelaide then. Sounds like Adelaide set on Rachele so that only leaves Goldy to lock onto someone else.

The AFL wanting the trade done on draft night sounds very likely. Didn't they use to ask trades to be done in the last hour of trade week to make the live show interesting and increase the exposure for the sponsors?

Sounds plausible - GWS must be confident that Mac gets past GC and Adelaide then. Sounds like Adelaide set on Rachele so that only leaves Goldy to lock onto someone else.

The AFL wanting the trade done on draft night sounds very likely. Didn't they use to ask trades to be done in the last hour of trade week to make the live show interesting and increase the exposure for the sponsors?
Still think GC picks Gibcus. Or they trade down as well knowing Gibcus could be there from 7 - 10.

Its always been a rumour about the AFL delaying trades for the TV exposure. So wouldnt surprise me if this is another directive from them.

geez that's probably 2 top 5 picks the Hawks are paying for Callaghan + a mid-late 2nd rounder

Actually don't mind that combo.

Out of interest Bully, who would you pick if both Johnson and Ward were available at 9?
I have Ward ranked at 5 & Johnson ranked at 6 so it's a line ball. I suppose it comes down to whether we can get a taller type down the order, more specifically Goater or Howes. If this looks likely I'd probably plump for Ward but only by a whisker.

Good news, I think we can safely lock in a gun mid now. Next is what to do with pick 17, still firming on Zac Taylor, I'm struggling for reasons not to pick him and that's the stage I'm at with all the players during these final assessments. Liking Butler a lot but he just gets shaded on the disposal front.

9. Johnson / Hobbs
17. Taylor

Still racking my brain about the next move, if no trades available then having the block of three not the end of the world, at least we've bedded down two mids. From my experience these picks have the highest success rate with multi position players & the two standouts are Howe & Murley. I think I'm firming on these two as there's a pretty good chance they will be around the mark.

30. Howes
31. Murley

With this last pick we can roll the dice on a tall, not sure which one and whether or not we should grab a junk pick and buy into next year's draft. I suppose if we intend on grabbing Schlensog then this might be the way to go.
Surely we take a key forward with one of our selections

Where do we think Hawks finish next year?
Bottom 4 with Pies, Crows and North. Probable bottom 2.
Giants will be middle range.

So would you trade pick 5 and next years pick 2 for pick 2 and Pick 28?

Sounds like a rumour instigated by someone who doesn't like the Hawks.

Reactions: 3 users
Its reported that next year will have high quality forwards in the top 5 picks.
Clubs like Hawks and Pies are not trading out of 2022