2021 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2021 Draft Thread

https%3A%2F%2Fs3-images.ladbible.com%2Fs3%2Fcontent%2F57e6d2476185b7f5f0d3ce8cd58988af.png

Tasmania Devils first signing. Florida twins, category C. gryan miers types
Would you like fries with that order sir?

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
To be any chance of Ward or Hobbs we need Mac Andrew to be taken in the top 8. Not sure where he goes if GWS don't pounce.
I'm not so sure, I still think Freo will go for a homegrown talent this year, I reckon one of the two will be available, if not both.

https%3A%2F%2Fs3-images.ladbible.com%2Fs3%2Fcontent%2F57e6d2476185b7f5f0d3ce8cd58988af.png

Tasmania Devils first signing. Florida twins, category C. gryan miers types
I am very concerned and worried about you EZyT .i think the draft period has got to you .......what the hell .......................what sites are you tolling through on the internet to find pictures like this , lets not talk about the types of guys you have found ..........you are moving into a very strange world brother

do you need a helpline number?

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
I'm not so sure, I still think Freo will go for a homegrown talent this year, I reckon one of the two will be available, if not both.
Its Adelaide who could go Callaghan which still leaves Hawks to Ward.

Worst case is GWS go Rachele, GC go Callaghan, Crows Ward and then Hawks Hobbs and Freo Johnson

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Are we recruiting Goater as a mid of half back? I hate the idea of trying to turn someone into something that is not his strength.
Agree. Reckon the best chance of getting a champion mid in the draft is always by recruiting a champion junior mid.

Reactions: 3 users
OK, hearing now that Mac Andrew isn't a lock for GWS at 2. They are warming to Rachele.

Clubs raving about Rachele's footy smarts, confidence and leadership traits. Seen as someone who has genuine swagger, not aggorance and is a very likeable kid. Won't shy away from big moments.

I didn't think he was that good to go top five but it seems like it's almost a certainty. Adelaide is also super keen.

It's all gossip at this point but for what it's worth this is from the same source who told me Melbourne were taking Luke Jackson a long way out from the draft.
Thanks Scoop. Rochelle Rochelle was always the one for me. Kid will be a star. Shame we will miss out.

Agree. Reckon the best chance of getting a champion mid in the draft is always by recruiting a champion junior mid.
I think the best chance of securing a champion mid is to assess the qualities a player brings to the table & then ascertain whether they fit the definition of uber elite based on historical data. I'd personally be looking at the following factors -

* Height (187cm seems to be the statistical benchmark)
* Clearance Ability (I'd be looking at players with 5+ clearances a match)
* Contested Possessions (anything below 30% or under 10 a match could be see as a red flag)
* Metres Gained, bounces (these two categories are clutch in determining outside ability & overall hurt factor)
* Scoreboard Influence (anything around 1 goal a match is usually a promising sign)
* Speed (not essential for purely inside players but anything above 3.20 spells danger when sizing up A grade candidates)
* Production (30 possessions a match usually the safe zone)
* Leap & acceleration (these two go hand in hand but they provide a good guide as to a player's three step burst).

How does Goater stack up? Pretty well I would have thought, a few categories such as production & scoreboard influence might be reason for concern, the differential between his numbers as a rebounder show a drop in the midfield role but not a deal breaking drop given he's only played 6 games as a mid. Goater's impact against Vic Country was heartening & I can see plenty of scope for development.

At pick 17 I think Goater is outstanding value, this is the range where you normally knock off rebounders & wingmen so you are basically getting upside thrown in for no additional capital.

Reactions: 3 users
Depends. If we plan to trade up the draft then it makes sense to have a look at guys that might be there.

Lets say we trade up to Pick 9 (11) with 15 and 28 then we would still have a spot, either on the main list or the rookie list.
dependant on what list model we use on 2022, but if we go the same as 2021

We currently have 29 on main list so 7-9 spots open

If we plan to rookie Noah & Biggy we need to upgrade 2 rookies to main list meaning still min 5 & max 7 picks available

So this. Go look at the gun mids. The vast majority were gun mids as juniors. Didn't need to learn the position.

Reactions: 1 users
So this. Go look at the gun mids. The vast majority were gun mids as juniors. Didn't need to learn the position.
Nat Fyfe
Patrick Dangerfield
Marcus Bontempelli
David Mundy
Zac Butters
Rory Laird
Dyson Heppell
Elliot Yeo

And you could throw in Macrae & Merrett if we're talking predominantly outside.

I think the best chance of securing a champion mid is to assess the qualities a player brings to the table & then ascertain whether they fit the definition of uber elite based on historical data. I'd personally be looking at the following factors -

* Height (187cm seems to be the statistical benchmark)
* Clearance Ability (I'd be looking at players with 5+ clearances a match)
* Contested Possessions (anything below 30% or under 10 a match could be see as a red flag)
* Metres Gained, bounces (these two categories are clutch in determining outside ability & overall hurt factor)
* Scoreboard Influence (anything around 1 goal a match is usually a promising sign)
* Speed (not essential for purely inside players but anything above 3.20 spells danger when sizing up A grade candidates)
* Production (30 possessions a match usually the safe zone)
* Leap & acceleration (these two go hand in hand but they provide a good guide as to a player's three step burst).

How does Goater stack up? Pretty well I would have thought, a few categories such as production & scoreboard influence might be reason for concern, the differential between his numbers as a rebounder show a drop in the midfield role but not a deal breaking drop given he's only played 6 games as a mid. Goater's impact against Vic Country was heartening & I can see plenty of scope for development.

At pick 17 I think Goater is outstanding value, this is the range where you normally knock off rebounders & wingmen so you are basically getting upside thrown in for no additional capital.
All of these are very strong points Bully. Perhaps this is more an idealogical and philosophical debate more than anything. Rationalism versus empiricism.

How to do you measure position specific footy IQ - i.e. natural, innate ability to excel in a particular position over and above another? True, the very best can play in multiple positions. Is Goater one of the very best? Maybe. If so, surely we would have seen him excel as a mid in his junior footy.

Don't mean to offend anyone but IMO the role of HBF is one of the easiest to play on the ground. Just so much easier to read the play. Would much prefer a mid that has already shown innate ability in the guts with our first (or Rochelle who will be capable of anything).

Agree that Goater is good value at 17, but I reckon Sonsie at 17 will be even better value.

Reactions: 8 users