2021 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2021 Draft Thread

Comparing Goater to two all time greats is astounding cherry picking. Not even close to the same production at under 18's level.

All of these guys were elite kicks at an underage level. Goater isn't close to being listed as this type of player in skill level or style.

Again elite kicks at underage level. Goater is closer to Duursma in size and style.

Every club talks to the prospects doesn't mean a hell of a lot. I've watched the state games, he is a sideways kicker and tumbles a few forward. Clearance work is ok but he doesn't spend the majority of the time in the middle. He says it himself, right now he is a flanker that has size and athleticism.
Goater trained with Essendon, those are the clues, ignore them at your own peril.

And I'm not cherry picking, you guys are back slapping about picking rebounders & wingmen with top picks and I'm illustrating the complete nonsense in that assertion. Would you like me to go on...............

Sam Docherty
Shaun Atley
Jarman Impey

And there's Marcus Bontempelli who was also played on the wing at state level, I just cannot fathom how people can write a bloke off because he hasn't delivered a master class after 6 games in a new position. These are the types of picks that can sort the visionary recruiters from the conservative play it safe types. Pick 17 is absolutely the range for a guy with a high floor and high ceiling and it's total bollocks to suggest his versatility should be deemed an immediate red line. You can't win these days, players push themselves out of their comfort zone and are slated, players who don't are seen as one dimensional. In any case, I'm glad the internet world are working themselves into a lather about Goater's disposal because it may cause him to slide down the order and I'm pretty certain that Clarke will jump on him at our second selection.

Reactions: 3 users
They find quality kids in the first rounds.
But are just a useless football club.
Its make or break for Clark and Hartley
Make or break hey, very interesting. I know Clark wanted Bailey Smith but if you haven't got the early picks what can you do. They tried to trade up to get him but couldn't get it done. The Bulldogs should of done better anyway as they have had earlier picks and gifts like Darcy and Ugle Hagan certainly help a little bit.

Goater trained with Essendon, those are the clues, ignore them at your own peril.

And I'm not cherry picking, you guys are back slapping about picking rebounders & wingmen with top picks and I'm illustrating the complete nonsense in that assertion. Would you like me to go on...............

Sam Docherty
Shaun Atley
Jarman Impey
I'm not arguing that these types aren't worth of early picks. I'm with you they are. But Goater isn't that type.

Atley isn't a bad shout but he was a notoriously bad kick, drove supporters mad.

And again the Bont calls, I just don't see it. Miles away from the grace and kicking skills that Bont showed.

Sam Docherty
Shaun Atley
Jarman Impey

And there's Marcus Bontempelli who was also played on the wing at state level, I just cannot fathom how people can write a bloke off because he hasn't delivered a master class after 6 games in a new position. These are the types of picks that can sort the visionary recruiters from the conservative play it safe types. Pick 17 is absolutely the range for a guy with a high floor and high ceiling and it's total bollocks to suggest his versatility should be deemed an immediate red line. You can't win these days, players push themselves out of their comfort zone and are slated, players who don't are seen as one dimensional. In any case, I'm glad the internet world are working themselves into a lather about Goater's disposal because it may cause him to slide down the order and I'm pretty certain that Clarke will jump on him at our second selection.
I like seeing players in dual/multiple roles as you can see more aspects to their game like vision and awareness.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm not arguing that these types aren't worth of early picks. I'm with you they are. But Goater isn't that type.

Atley isn't a bad shout but he was a notoriously bad kick, drove supporters mad.

And again the Bont calls, I just don't see it. Miles away from the grace and kicking skills that Bont showed.
As a floor I'll take 233 games & a player who ranked top 10 for bounces just about every year. But that's the floor, the upside is an explosive midfielder in the Fyfe, Danger & Bont mould. Goater's kicking is better than the former, his kicking not as fluid as Bont but no where near the butcher that people are making out. Instead of focusing on the negatives I'd be more inclined to focus on the positives - slick & penetrating handball, explosive three step burst, versatility in multiple positions, elite height & elite leap.

These are all guys who are in my top 50, plenty of talent in this draft.

Ronald Fejo jnr
West Adelaide, SANFL / Northern Territory Thunder / Wanders FC
State: South Australia, Northern Territory
Height: 178cm
Weight: 75kg
Date of Birth: 16/12/01
Lightly framed wingman from Darwin who has relocated to West Adelaide to pursue his AFL dream. An Indigenous youngster who had played rugby and basketball until his 18th year. He takes the game on with his run and carry, drawing comparisons with St Kilda's Brad Hill at an early age. A good ball-user with endurance, he has played a couple of league games with West Adelaide after consistent performances at reserves level (averaging 18.2 possessions in 16 games). Also represented the Northern Territory Thunder with distinction in two NAB League games, and was their best player, averaging 19.5 disposals. One of the Allies best players too in their only representative game against South Australia in October, having 15 disposals and four inside 50s. He further showcased his draft potential with a swift 8.08 seconds for the AFL agility run at the NAB AFL Draft Combine in South Australia which ranked sixth nationally.
JCSe6mnd.jpg

Harvey Harrison
North Adelaide, SANFL / Tyndale Christian College
State: South Australia
Height: 182cm
Weight: 76kg
Date of Birth: 11/10/03
Small midfielder whose speed and attack on the contest has stood out this year at under-18s level. He is a prolific ball-winner, averaging 25.2 disposals in 17 matches this year, to be a shining light for his team. A super competitive and durable type, he's also very creative with his hands, sharp vision and awareness that helps him set up his teammates. Also had a taste of reserve level football this year, as well as representing his state at under-19s level against the Allies (he kicked two clever goals from his 14 disposals). Showed blistering speed at the NAB AFL Draft Combine to be the fastest player tested this year with his 2.85 seconds in the 20 metres, ranking him No.1 nationally.

Hugh Jackson
North Adelaide, SANFL/Crystal Brook FC
Height: 182cm
Weight: 72kg
Date of Birth: 03/05/03
Classy midfielder capable of playing on the inside or outside using his elite kicking on his preferred left side together with his clean hands and footy smarts. He draws comparisons to GWS Giant star Josh Kelly. Has had an outstanding year at under-18s level, averaging 29.3 disposals at 70 per cent efficiency and 4.8 clearances with 3.4 tackles at club level in 16 games. He also had 20 possessions against Western Australia at state under-19 level for South Australia in August. A hip injury stopped him from testing at the NAB AFL Draft Combine in South Australia.

Alastair Lord
Norwood, SANFL / Rostrevor College
Height: 181cm
Weight: 75kg
Date of Birth: 26/11/03
Dashing defender who reads the play exceptionally well to intercept and then provide great rebound with his run-and-carry from defence. Links up well with his fellow defenders and is an efficient user by hand and foot. He's averaged 22.4 disposals (77 per cent efficiency) but managed just five matches at under-18s level due to injury. Showed composure and class down back in the U19 matches against both Western Australia and the Allies to be among his state's best players. Dazzled at the NAB AFL Draft Combine with his agility time of 7.94 seconds, ranked No.1 nationally.

Cooper Murley
Norwood, SANFL / Tea Tree Gully FC
Height: 178cm
Weight: 67kg
Date of Birth: 10/06/03
Small midfielder with a real competitive edge whose speed and smart ball use lead to comparisons with Port Adelaide's young star Zac Butters. First made a statement about his potential when he starred for South Australia at under-16s level in 2019, earning him All-Australian honours - but he has been restricted this season due to ankle and collarbone injuries to just eight matches. Was dominate the U18s in four of those matches, averaging 21.5 disposals. He played the other four games at reserves level before the second injury curtailed his year. His outstanding form in 2020 saw him win his club's best and fairest at under-18s level in a premiership year which should hold him in good stead as scouts assess his AFL potential. Returned from injury for the NAB AFL Draft Combine, with his 82cm running vertical jump and 3.08 seconds for 20 metres a thin slice of his athletic potential.

Tyler Sonsie
Eastern Ranges, NAB League / Rowville FC
State: Victoria (Metro)
Weight: 78kg
Date of Birth: 27/01/03
Small midfielder with rare footy smarts and clean hands, making him a stoppage star. His dazzling speed and polished step through traffic out of the centre has drawn comparison to Richmond captain Trent Cotchin. His disposal on both sides is another point of difference. Was Victoria Metro's MVP and earned All-Australian selection in the under-16s in 2019. He started the season well with the Eastern Ranges, playing five matches, averaging 23 disposals (12 contested), and a goal a game, as well as being eye-catching in his only game for Box Hill in the VFL with 22 disposals and two goals. Another member of the NAB AFL Academy, bone bruising to his knee curtailed his year before the shutdown. He was rewarded, however, with a NAB League Team of the Year selection.

Josh Ward
Northern Knights, NAB League / Fitzroy FC / Melbourne Grammar
Weight: 74kg
Date of Birth: 17/08/03
Left-foot small midfielder who showed all the traits this season of an emerging future star. Uses his elite endurance and footy smarts to win the ball, then shows poise and sharp vision to use it in an elite fashion by hand and foot. His natural leadership, running capacity and prolific ball-winning ability compare to Carlton's young superstar Sam Walsh. He imposed himself on five matches with the Northern Knights, averaging 30.2 disposals (11.6 contested), and had 29 disposals in the NAB AFL Challenge match for Victoria Metro against Victoria Country in July to be one of the best afield. Capped off his year being named captain of the NAB League's Team of the Year.

Zac Taylor
Calder Cannons, NAB League / Penola Catholic College
Height: 180cm
Weight: 70kg

Date of Birth: 31/01/03

Small midfielder who is very composed and looks self-assured in winning and using the ball to his team's benefit both through the centre of the ground and up forward. Capable of hitting the scoreboard when playing midfield by using his footy IQ to get into dangerous spots and convert. Had an excellent year - that included representing Victoria Metro at under-19s level - averaging 26 disposals (10 contested) at 71 per cent efficiency. He won the Cannons' best-and-fairest award and selection in the NAB League's Team of the Year.

naxq1reN.jpg

Reactions: 3 users
If the club can turn Balta into a reliable kick then it can do the same with Goater, all this inference that Goater is a terminally ill mongrel punter is a classic case of looking at a gift horse in the mouth.
Saw a lot of Balta over his first season, 2018. As I remember he was always an excellent kick.
Two others who were around at that time, George and Lambert were sub par.
It was noticeable that Fly and I expect others, had a real impact on Lambert, but IMO had no effect on George.

I don’t profess any expertees but it seems that many who arrive with a poor kicking action, never recover. On the other hand Balta, Chol and Dusty our best ? have always been excellent.

Reactions: 1 users
Saw a lot of Balta over his first season, 2018. As I remember he was always an excellent kick.
Two others who were around at that time, George and Lambert were sub par.
It was noticeable that Fly and I expect others, had a real impact on Lambert, but IMO had no effect on George.

I don’t profess any expertees but it seems that many who arrive with a poor kicking action, never recover. On the other hand Balta, Chol and Dusty our best ? have always been excellent.
I distinctly remember Balta's first half dozen games, he looked lost, rushed & totally at sea. This is the point about premature evaluation, players need time to adapt and adjust to new roles. I can't emphasise this enough but Goater isn't a butcher, his decision making needs some polish but from a technical aspect there is nothing wrong with his technique. If he can kick well in the rebounding role then there is plenty to work with.

2 names I like the look of are
Isaac Birt
South Adelaide, SANFL/ Strathalbyn FC
State: South Australia, wingman

Hugh Jackson

Any idea what range they go in the draft ?.

Agrre, Balta was always a good kick, he had to slow himself down. An when he was drafted, kicking was a strength.

Anyway the big thing now is the mid 20's picks all look like turning up gold. I never thought there was even a chance Sonsie would still be there at our second pick but maybe he is there at the third. Really interesting draft.

Reactions: 2 users
Agrre, Balta was always a good kick, he had to slow himself down. An when he was drafted, kicking was a strength.
Exactly! The same issues as Goater, he needs to allow himself an extra nano second to compose himself and steady, stuff you can teach.

Reactions: 1 users
Isaac Birt

Hugh Jackson

Third round to rookie selections but both a very good chance to be drafted.

Bully is on world record pace.
Either he will break the world record in most posts in a month or he will burst a lung.
Good luck Bully 14 days stlll to go

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Isaac Birt

Hugh Jackson

Birt was pretty clean in one of those champs games, a nice user by foot.

They find quality kids in the first rounds.
But are just a useless football club.
Its make or break for Clark and Hartley
There was an interesting quote by Benny Gale about how Melbourne did not have one rookie in their premiership team.

Our triple premiership teams have included players picked as rookies and mid season picks galore. These recruiting guys have proven they are a great judge of picking a footballer who can become part of a flag winning team. You can cherry pick all you like on their record but I guarantee that you could do exactly the same thing with every other club and end up calling their recruiters duds as well.

The proof is in the pudding, those 3 cups at Punt Road Oval. Their success is there for all to see when you see guys rookied like Short, Baker, Lambert, Soldo, Castagna and Pickett running around with medals around their necks but also Graham, Balta, Bolton, McIntosh and Broad picked up in the ND with picks in the 20s and above

We are lucky to have our recruiting team imo

Reactions: 19 users
Exactly! The same issues as Goater, he needs to allow himself an extra nano second to compose himself and steady, stuff you can teach.
Agree with this, think the Goat can refine or tweak his kicking in the right environment.

There was an interesting quote by Benny Gale about how Melbourne did not have one rookie in their premiership team.

Our triple premiership teams have included players picked as rookies and mid season picks galore. These recruiting guys have proven they are a great judge of picking a footballer who can become part of a flag winning team. You can cherry pick all you like on their record but I guarantee that you could do exactly the same thing with every other club and end up calling their recruiters duds as well.

The proof is in the pudding, those 3 cups at Punt Road Oval. Their success is there for all to see when you see guys rookied like Short, Baker, Lambert, Soldo, Castagna and Pickett running around with medals around their necks but also Graham, Balta, Bolton, McIntosh and Broad picked up in the ND with picks in the 20s and above

We are lucky to have our recruiting team imo
They cant pick quality kids with 1st rounders. They capitulate.

Trade away pick 7 & 15 for 5 picks in the 20's/30's. where they excell.
They seem to be more open with decisions on picking kids with 2nd & 3rd rounders.
They are useless with first rounders.
They need to stay home the first night and turn up on Friday when the 3rd and 4th rounders are on And then the rookie draft