2021 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2021 Draft Thread

Good point @Stewlander for the most part it looks like pre-enders have all but written off RCD Martyn Ross & Dow, I'd argue that all these are inside mids with Dow the most adaptable to another role. I am confident two of these will make the grade, (which doesn't mean stars), don't see A graders amongst them but reckon Riley and Dow can be solid B graders in time. Our A grade mid future is Shai.
I hope our recruiting team only go for 1 inside mid in this draft and some serious upside types amongst our other selections, (I guess a bag of Liquorice allsorts is what I am after).

Think I'll be happy with our 1st pick regardless, I won't even throw a tanty if they went tall if Gibcus or Mac were on the board.
I personally think Dow,rcd will make it,have watched them live and seen plenty of AFL traits in them
Rcd has 22 odd vfl games and a few AFL,who the hell apart from all time greats kills it after a season and a quarter.

Reactions: 1 user
I like Johnson's athleticism and height as points of difference if we miss Hobbs or Ward and go a mid.

I haven't seen much of Erasmus.
What would he offer over Johnson?
Not sure, I have Johnson ranked 6th & Erasmus ranked 13th. I think perhaps some may see a bigger upside in Erasmus due to age & perhaps being a greater forward threat. My problem is Erasmus hasn't really been tested against the best, maybe by design, not sure, but I see very little downside to Johnson.

Twomey has the best mail going around.

Tried telling folks on here that their luv for Sonsie and Taylor was misplaced. I got hounded off the board by Bullus and co for saying it though

Also on the record as saying Fahey and Brown right in the mix for our pick 17. Fahey even a sneaky chance at 9.
But nothing has happened yet.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Taylor Adams plays quicker Pick 13
Prestia Pick 9, much better athlete
Wines no comparison he is a much bigger body and he is in the top 5 distance runners at port
Miller much better athlete 10.19 3km time
Sloane I agree with, same size and athletic profile, he went Pick 44
Swiss cheese argument.
Give me Hobbs test results compared to these guys. Profiles the same game style.
Very worthy of a top 10 pick.

Reactions: 2 users
Agree it’s doubtful but he is a lot higher on several club boards than most realise.

GWS are planning in case a bid comes before pick 13. We are a big wrap so won’t be surprised if both Hobbs and Ward are gone before 9 to see his name pop up.

He played in a VFL game for GWS at Punt Rd Oval this year in front of a number of our coaches and he was their best player.

The last draftable player to catch Dimmas attention in a game was Bolton.

We bid at 9 and some chance GWS let him through. Bid at 17 and it’s no chance
But is he what we need so early in the draft? Great footskills but very outside. At 17 no problem but 9??

Taylor Adams, Dion Prestia, Oliver Wines (slightly taller), Touk Miller, Rory Sloane.

That's off the top of my head. There is heaps of them.
And arguably the next most important player after Bont - Libba.

Swiss cheese argument.
Give me Hobbs test results compared to these guys. Profiles the same game style.
Very worthy of a top 10 pick.
Nailed it Scoop. A lot of posters are assuming test results for Hobbs without actually seeing them.

But is he what we need so early in the draft? Great footskills but very outside. At 17 no problem but 9??
He is not Naish or Houli level outside. From limited games I've seen he appears to be reasonably hard at it.

Depends if we really want him, or not and where we rank him as to where we bid?

If one of Hobbs, Gibcus or Ward are available then I wouldn't think we'd bid at 9. If they are all gone and we are picking between Andrews, Erasmus, Amiss or Johnson then its a chance.

If we really want him its 9 or bust. We won't get him at 17 because with the Academy discount GWS can get him fairly easily via a pick swap.

FWIW I understand GWS rate him very highly so doubt they'll let him through wherever the bid comes. He won the AIS medal beating the hot pots in JHF and Daicos for it so he is high. quality.

Personally I'd take Andrews or Amiss at 9 in the above scenario and pick up Tom Brown who I really rate at 17.

Last edited:
Not sure, I have Johnson ranked 6th & Erasmus ranked 13th. I think perhaps some may see a bigger upside in Erasmus due to age & perhaps being a greater forward threat. My problem is Erasmus hasn't really been tested against the best, maybe by design, not sure, but I see very little downside to Johnson.
Have Erasmus ahead by a *smile*.
Love to see us grab him at 9.

I like Johnson's athleticism and height as points of difference if we miss Hobbs or Ward and go a mid.

I haven't seen much of Erasmus.
What would he offer over Johnson?
I don't mind either of them but Erasmus is around 9 months younger, good frame for his age.

Last edited:
I see more risk associated with Erasmus, he does have excellent attributes but he's no certainty to be a midfielder.

I like the look of Erasmus too, no doubt can play midfield as well as forward. One thing I know our first pick will yield one of Gibcus, Hobbs, Johnson or Erasmus.

Draft profile: Neil Erasmus​

A mercurial high-flyer that can have an impact in the midfield and in attack.​

Team: Subiaco
Position: Midfielder/Forward
Height: 188cm
Weight: 80kg

Subiaco's Neil Erasmus is an agile midfield/forward prospect with plenty of upside to his game.

The West Australian hasn't had a deep sample size to offer scouts, however the glimpses he has shown with the Lions in the WAFL U18s competition have been enough to suggest a first-round calling for the 17-year-old.

An inside midfielder that has the ability to move forward and impact the scoreboard, Erasmus frames as one of the more versatile smaller options in his class that could be a key feature for an AFL club as early as next year.

An Eagles fan, Erasmus looks up to West Coast star Elliot Yeo as an idol of his game, which is a fitting role model given the similarities between the pair.

Strengths

Vertical
Marking
Ball Winner Ability
Versatility
Forward Threat

Weaknesses

Disposal
Injury History

Draft Range

Pick 8-13

Potential Landing Spots

Fremantle (Pick 8), West Coast (Pick 10), Essendon (Pick 11), Greater Western Sydney (Pick 13)

AFL Comparisons

Elliot Yeo
Hugh Greenwood
Nat Fyfe

Expert Comments

"The tall midfielder has steadily been rising up draft boards this season and now shapes as a top-10 pick contender. Something of a surprise packet in 2020, Erasmus has taken things up a notch in 2021." - Callum Twomey

Hey guys, just regarding Fahey from the GWS academy. I thought academy picks this year could only be matched if it was pick 20+. Is it different for GWS??