2021 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2021 Draft Thread

You do realise Hibberd is 25 now and after his time at North had a very underwhelming year at Essendon in 2020? Whilst a very good state league player that is his standard.
Oh and he’s got bigger fish to fry now with Tina! Lol
She strikes me as the sort of chick that would throw plates and mugs at you if you were in an arguement.

Also the sort of chick that might key your car or burn your house down.

Good luck Mitch.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
She strikes me as the sort of chick that would throw plates and mugs at you if you were in an arguement.

Also the sort of chick that might key your car or burn your house down.

Good luck Mitch.
Hahaha 100% agree with this!!

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
With the Suns committing to taking their 3 delisted players in the draft would this not mean they have a deal in place with another club?
They only have 3 picks available and they're sure as :poop: not going to use pick 3 on one of them which means they're a pick short.
Is this how others see it or do I have this wrong?

With the Suns committing to taking their 3 delisted players in the draft would this not mean they have a deal in place with another club?
They only have 3 picks available and they're sure as :poop: not going to use pick 3 on one of them which means they're a pick short.
Is this how others see it or do I have this wrong?

The Suns currently have picks No.3, 97 and 115 in this year's draft with the last two picks set to be used on Greenwood and Thompson, while McLennan will return to the club via the rookie draft.

Hey guys, just regarding Fahey from the GWS academy. I thought academy picks this year could only be matched if it was pick 20+. Is it different for GWS??
Northern Academy kids are as it was on, NGA changed to after pick 20. It's utter *smile*!

I know nothing about any of them, and am definitely one who only watches highlights packages, but gee Gibcus looks a likely type!

The Suns currently have picks No.3, 97 and 115 in this year's draft with the last two picks set to be used on Greenwood and Thompson, while McLennan will return to the club via the rookie draft.
Absolute disgrace
The AFL is a farce.
Your meant to add a minimum 3 kids every year.
So clubs are now just delisting and picking up the same player.
What a joke.
These kids will walk away from the game. we would average 100 new kids a year and now with (extra teams) struggle to get to 60.
How many Swans, Mitchell's, Kemps missed nowadays??
Gilligan must go

Reactions: 3 users
The farce is the rule itself, clubs shouldn’t have to pick a mandatory 3 ND/rookie upgrades. They at least have the ability to get past the rule by delisting and re-drafting but then they have to risk losing their player.

Goater on radio this morning saying all 18 clubs have spoken to him. Sydney, GWS, Hawthorn and Essendon twice.

Said he has only played a handful of games in the middle. Played mostly hbf and hff up until now. Reckons the two things he needs to work on are defensive capability especially getting his tackle count up and improving his kicking when playing in the middle. Said he’s fine off hbf but needs to take a bit more time with his kicking when he’s in the middle breaking from a pack etc.

Reactions: 4 users
Goater on radio this morning saying all 18 clubs have spoken to him. Sydney, GWS, Hawthorn and Essendon twice.

Said he has only played a handful of games in the middle. Played mostly hbf and hff up until now. Reckons the two things he needs to work on are defensive capability especially getting his tackle count up and improving his kicking when playing in the middle. Said he’s fine off hbf but needs to take a bit more time with his kicking when he’s in the middle breaking from a pack etc.
And that's why there are alarm bells for me. Limited midfield exposure and kicking issues. Huge stay away for me with our first two picks.

Reactions: 9 users
And that's why there are alarm bells for me. Limited midfield exposure and kicking issues. Huge stay away for me with our first two picks.
You don't use 1st rounders on half back flankers. Ask Stkilda with Clark and Coffield
Unless they are called big V.
Totally agree if we use any picks on half forwards or half backs, Clarke and Hartley need to resign.
Conca a midfielders ass hole.
Ellis no composure to play on ball.
Ellis no better then Fiora
lennon Slowest footballer ive seen
Higgins unbelievable how they thought he would one day play full time midfield.
Someone needs to ransank the doggies coaching officer's and see who they are looking at.

After hearing that, the bombers can take him and we can go either butler, sonsie or Taylor at pick 17 (if availalble).

Reactions: 2 users
Absolutely not! Development issue & not a technical one, have been saying this for the past month & have been routinely dismissed. I will repeat again, scores of juniors have issues kicking on the run & kicking in congestion. Patrick Dangerfield STILL can't kick on the run and Nat Fyfe is STILL an awful kicking dual Brownlow medalist. If the club can turn Balta into a reliable kick then it can do the same with Goater, all this inference that Goater is a terminally ill mongrel punter is a classic case of looking at a gift horse in the mouth.

You don't use 1st rounders on half back flankers. Ask Stkilda with Clark and Coffield
Totally agree if we use any picks on half forwards or half backs, Clarke and Hartley need to resign.
Someone needs to ransank the doggies coaching officer's and see who they are looking at.
Daniel Rich
Shannon Hurn
Christian Salem
Lachie Whitfield
Grant Birchall

Guns, the lot of them & worth a high pick. Rebounders & wingmen are regularly taken in the first round, the next gen have also been grabbed in the first -

Jordan Clark
Isaac Quaynor
Ed Richards
Zac Bailey
Xavier Duursma

The fact that every club including Essendon are keen on Goater says it all really, the PRE method of watching a few highlights and then drawing conclusions will be exposed in this instance, I would strongly urge people to go over the tapes of the state games and observe Goater's work in tight, his clearance work is excellent, as are his quick hands and acceleration from the stoppage. The upside is huge and the downside a clear upgrade on McIntosh. No brainer selection at pick 17.

Reactions: 7 users
Nice rant as usual. How many flags have the bulldogs won in the last five years ??. Why would we go to them for advice ??

Reactions: 2 users
I don’t think Goater’s kicking is anything that should sound alarm bells. I watched the 23 July trial game v VC for maybe the 4th time last night with a special interest or focus on Hobbs, Goater, Taylor, MacDonald and Howes.

Goater missed a few targets under pressure but otherwise the majority of the time he was ok. His technique looks ok and I’d suggest that it’s more of a composure thing that will come with more playing time in the middle.

He looks to have big upside to me. I’d be more interested in his endurance/aerobic capacity than his kicking. Between him, Rachele and Wanganeen Milera, they’re the 3 players I’d like to see the test results of the most.

Reactions: 4 users
Absolutely not! Development issue & not a technical one, have been saying this for the past month & have been routinely dismissed. I will repeat again, scores of juniors have issues kicking on the run & kicking in congestion. Patrick Dangerfield STILL can't kick on the run and Nat Fyfe is STILL an awful kicking dual Brownlow medalist. If the club can turn Balta into a reliable kick then it can do the same with Goater, all this inference that Goater is a terminally ill mongrel punter is a classic case of looking at a gift horse in the mouth.
Comparing Goater to two all time greats is astounding cherry picking. Not even close to the same production at under 18's level.

Daniel Rich
Shannon Hurn
Christian Salem
Lachie Whitfield
Grant Birchall
All of these guys were elite kicks at an underage level. Goater isn't close to being listed as this type of player in skill level or style.

Jordan Clark
Isaac Quaynor
Ed Richards
Zac Bailey
Xavier Duursma
Again elite kicks at underage level. Goater is closer to Duursma in size and style.

The fact that every club including Essendon are keen on Goater says it all really, the PRE method of watching a few highlights and then drawing conclusions will be exposed in this instance, I would strongly urge people to go over the tapes of the state games and observe Goater's work in tight, his clearance work is excellent, as are his quick hands and acceleration from the stoppage. The upside is huge and the downside a clear upgrade on McIntosh. No brainer selection at pick 17.
Every club talks to the prospects doesn't mean a hell of a lot. I've watched the state games, he is a sideways kicker and tumbles a few forward. Clearance work is ok but he doesn't spend the majority of the time in the middle. He says it himself, right now he is a flanker that has size and athleticism.

Nice rant as usual. How many flags have the bulldogs won in the last five years ??. Why would we go to them for advice ??
They find quality kids in the first rounds.
But are just a useless football club.
Its make or break for Clark and Hartley

Goater .... Reckons the two things he needs to work on are defensive capability especially getting his tackle count up

I'd say 90% of first and second round mids would predominately work offensively,

and let their 4th and 5th round teammates do the defensive heavy lifting.

defensive effort is not just indicated by tackle count. 5 tackles could be at stoppages.

this is defensive work (u18 sides have defensive and offensive mids at stoppages - its the offensive mids most noticeable),

but its not 2 way running.

this is only indicated by seeing a mid run 100m to the last line of defence, fill a hole, not get the ball, theres no stoppage,

and run 150m back the other way. and do it again. and do it again.

even gps numbers won't give you this full picture, they might run 12 km in the attacking half.

you have to watch the game, focus on 1 kid (which the recruiters do), and observe the unrewarded defensive running.

these are the real gems you can get in the later rounds, and they are often more ready to go (jack graham a perfect example)

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users