Will Richmond Win A Match This Year? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Will Richmond Win A Match This Year?

Crazy Costanza

Tiger Rookie
Apr 1, 2006
OK....OK I know we got our ar$$es handed to us on Saturday night and it was only a NAB cup match, but I'm really starting to think that we will really struggle to win a match this year. I was looking at the draw today and there is a couple of half chance matches, where I think we can be competitive, but when you really examine the draw, I begin to fear the worst.

Maybe Im a pessimist and a glass half empty kind of guy, but if you look at the draw, aside from Carlton Round 1 and Melbourne Round 4, we have no real hope in the first 14 Rounds.

Im ready for the barrage of abusive comments so hit me with them.

Of course we will. Probably 3-6. I see no reason why we can't beat teams like Essendon, Fremantle, Roos, Melbourne, etc considering we beat them all last year and most of the delisted players played little to no part in season 2009. Also the natural improvement expected from youngsters like Cotchin, Deledio (not a youngster but has a couple years of improvement in him), Riewoldt, Morton, Collins, Vickery, Post, Connors, Edwards, etc. Add on top of that players from this year's draft might play a role in Martin, Dea, Astbury, Webberly and co.

With the hawks I think it was made clear that there is a lot between a likely top 4 side and us. That being said I think we will be very competitive and win 5-8 games.

We will improve as the year goes on. I think people are reading too much into being smashed by a potential top 4 side hungry to make up for a poor 2009.

A little bit of perspective (and optimism !!).

1. It was our first proper hit out under a new coach AND with pretty much the youngest side we could put on the park.
2. Hawthorn by all rights should have been top 4 last year but for some early and continuing injury problems that have now been sorted.
3. Look at the gap between the top 4 last year and everyone else. For example - look at the gap between Essendon and Carlton to Geelong and St Kilda.
4. Join the dots on points 1 - 3 and if we'd played, say, Freo first round of the NAB cup, this place may very well be brimming with optimism.

Dont stress too much guys, we all know this is just the start of our resurgence, be patient. There will be ups and downs and we all know we won't match it with the top 4 - just calm down until we've played some of the lesser teams and then we'll see where we are truly at.

mld said:
We will improve as the year goes on. I think people are reading too much into being smashed by a potential top 4 side hungry to make up for a poor 2009.

:fing32

mld said:

Well said Moldy :clap

sadly I'm a pessimest - it will be a long long year and any win is a bonus.

got my membership pack yesterday and that helped me steal myself enough to be patient a while longer.

As I said ANY win is a bonus in 2010.

I am looking mainly for the team to be competitive and for players to be given oppurtunities to cement their spot and not thrown around willy nilly like it seems happened the last couple of years.

GO TIGES

We will win a few. I also reckon we will see one game where it all clicks, we win by a lot, we get a glimpse into the future and hopes are raised.

(Only to be torn down after we get smashed a week later)

This sort of panic is ridiculous. Richmond will win a few matches. They'll lose a lot more and some quite heavily, but there will be other games where the supporters will be pleasantly surprised and tipsters will be cursing.

Barnzy said:
Also the natural improvement expected from youngsters like Cotchin, Deledio (not a youngster but has a couple years of improvement in him), Riewoldt, Morton, Collins, Vickery, Post, Connors, Edwards...

Bling.

ah the yearly question that inevitable rears its head after our first pre-season match