who's our BEST ever 1 year wonder?? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

who's our BEST ever 1 year wonder??

tigergollywog said:
I know its missing the point slightly, but i thought id throw in Mark Coghlan and Nathan Brown, just to highlight how bad our luck has been. Cogs was gonna be as good as Simon Black and Brown was the best small in the comp when they were cruelled by injury.

Spot on, totally agree. Not only have we been useless over the journey of 25 years, but when your most talented footballers fall over with injury it doesn't help..
Not only Cogs and brown, there have been many others Michael Pickering- never recovered after the Geoff miles bump
Tony Free- constant knee problems ( he was a great footballer)
Michael Mitchell- never recovered after Micky Martin knocked him out in practise match
Scott Turner- his knees gave up after 1995
Dragevic- how many knees can a kid do??
Michael Gale- never was the same player after doing his shoulder
Graig Smith-started calling him Mr hamstring

I remember as a kid lining up at the G on a cold Saturday morning years ago,with my brother, reading my footy record which cost me 50c, and with some of those jam donuts that always burn the roof of your mouth,(geez they were hot)....

The Tigers then were feared by all, we had a ruthless Management run by Graham Richmond, we had Premierships, life was good. We had pulled a coup from South Australia......his name?

Glynn Hewitt, dad of Lllllllllllllleyton, I tell you after about 4 weeks Id had enough of him, talk about dud.....slighty off the topic I know but just thought Id throw it in....

Best 1st year player?

Graham/Allan Greenslades played up forward for us...

Stuart Wigney in 1995. Held down CHB until he got injured in the same game Richo did his knee. Was very very good until then, and did not much afterwards.

Johnny Manton
He finished 3rd in the B&F in 1987 but struggled for most of his 7 year career.

Gary Frangales.
He used to star and take huge hangers in the reserves but he rarely showed the same brillance in the ones.

Tigers of Old said:
I'd forgotten Merenda polled 15 Brownlow votes in 1996. Thought he was going to be a star..

Didn't he have chronic back problems after that season. I know he went to the Eagles and was serviceable, but when he was with us I seem to recall him having some sort of serious back injury.