Which player would you trade | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Which player would you trade

After such a performance as I witnessed by the Tigers on Sunday I have been dreaming of a couple of excellent youngsters being 'encouraged' to seek a place at Punt Road, so to join in our glorious future.

The two I have in mind are Dangerfield and Scully. If we don't finish bottom and lose likely access to Jack Darling, I would be prepared to offer an exchange of first round picks assuming ours is lower, and Ritchie for either player.

I also wonder if this year might not be the exception to the rule that multiple off loadings for a pick just don't happen.

GC look to me like they are going to embarass themselves and the AFL, unless they trade to get some bigger bodies into the club.

Might pressure be bought to have them accept something like Polo, Polak and Thursfield for dp 5?

Danog said:
McGuane is in his first year of a 3-year deal. I don't know why people always say we're going to trade him. He will not be traded.

I can't see it either. There's a lack of decent quality backs across the comp currently.
Luke isn't great but I'd say he's required for now.

Jumping Jack said:
I completely disagree, respectively of course. But Moore is one of our most consistent tall backs and he has really grown as an AFL footballer the last couple of years. Why put some much time into a player to only trade him.

He plays in the backline like his in 1978, no run, no movement, barely chases.
he should be like a Gram, Drummond, enright type, try to give us something in the backline, he looks disinterested LAZY
his worth something now, do it before its too late

Barnzy said:
That's the thing isn't it, not a lot pushing up at the moment. I just don't rate his future prospects but I think he may have some worth. Ditto Jackson. Astbury is one who could settle into CHB and replace McGuane. Clearner disposal, smarter footy brain. Thursfield, Morton and a few others could be traded too. Who knows. Besides the few keepers we have (Martin, Deledio, Cotchin, Riewoldt, Foley?) everyone else should not be off limits if the right deal comes along.

Wouldn't trade the group you name plus Astbury, Connors, Cousins, Edwards, Graham, Griffiths, Jackson, Mcguane, Moore, Newman, Rance, Vickery, Taylor and believe it or not the clubs most improved player, Shane Tuck.

zippadeee said:
Mcguane will be there next year, but the others around him will be given the chance to be traded.
I think thursfield will be targeted by St. Kilda,
polo, morton, foley, jackson will give us some bargaining chips when trading starts

I agree with you. Foley will have value for an outsider midfielder. Hardwick said outside midfielder needed. Not sure what value Jackson has but i believe he will go.

heard the Bernie beetle isn't happy at the crows, nice get for the tigers...
I would be very angry if we didnt go after Dangerfield, he is young and you know what your getting... a tough and very skilled footballer..
Foley for Dangerfield

Those throwing up names like McGuane and Rance are just wasting internet space. Alot of PRE'ers dont grasp that you have to give something to get something. A fringe backman in the bottom side just doesnt lure a top four club to thrust their promising ruckman under your nose. So bearing in mind that delistings and trades are two very different things, I will offer up

1. Tambling (for a pick inside 20), and
2. Foley (for a very good young player or a pick inside 15 with a very good young player in mind).
3. Jack Reiwoldt (for pick 1,2,3,4 &5 off cold toast, hes only a skinny flank-type anyway :hihi)

Seriously though I think both 1. and 2. have a future in a good side at Tigerland and I would only trade them for a good return.

Tigers of Old said:
Thursfield - Excess to our needs but could be useful elsewhere.
Rance - Still young enough that someone might bite.
Tambling - Needs a big 2nd half of the year or he might be better served elsewhere and we get a player we need.

I'd agree with those plus add Jackson and Tuck.
Barnzy said:
That's the thing isn't it, not a lot pushing up at the moment. I just don't rate his future prospects but I think he may have some worth.

Yeah but we need someone to replace him, especially if we try to trade say Rance as well.

Tigers of Old said:
Forgot about him(already :-\). Would also be a name to float.

If the Dons gave 16 for Williams, I'd expect similar for Morton.

I would think quite a few teams would be interested in a guy who can kick goals.

wayne said:
If the Dons gave 16 for Williams, I'd expect similar for Morton.

I would think quite a few teams would be interested in a guy who can kick goals.

Cept Williams was a one club player. Morts would now be perceived to have some baggage.

Tigers of Old said:
Cept Williams was a one club player. Morts would now be perceived to have some baggage.

The reason the Williams/pick 16 trade surprised me (actually I think it was Williams and pick 24 for 16) was that I thought Williams' body was finished.

Morton does seem to have a reputation from West Coast days, but you'd think a top 8 team might take a gamble on him and give up a pick between 17-26.

tigergollywog said:
1. Tambling (for a pick inside 20), and
2. Foley (for a very good young player or a pick inside 15 with a very good young player in mind).
3. Jack Reiwoldt (for pick 1,2,3,4 &5 off cold toast, hes only a skinny flank-type anyway :hihi)

So Tambling will get a Pick inside 20 but Foley will only get one 5 picks higher?
Sorry, but unless it involved a Top 5 pick, Foley isn't going anywhere, I'd want a 2nd pick also
Burgoyne got Pick 8 and he's much older than Foley

ZeroGame said:
So Tambling will get a Pick inside 20 but Foley will only get one 5 picks higher?
Sorry, but unless it involved a Top 5 pick, Foley isn't going anywhere, I'd want a 2nd pick also
Burgoyne got Pick 8 and he's much older than Foley

Tamblings got form concerns, Foley's got durability concerns. I hope we keep them both. Just saying if push comes to shove, that's who I'd put up for a good return. Cant imagine a top 10 for Foley these days. Burgoyne is one of the classiest players in the comp over a long period. Foley, due to injury, had one year where was an AA quality player. I tend to agree with you though Zero, Axle is young and bloody good. In putting him up for a trade and getting pick 10-20 for him, like I said, I would want to have a Callan Ward or a Jack Reiwoldt in mind as a target to steal with the pick.

Another interesting question is who do we target? Most clubs will be reluctant to trade draft picks (cept GC :mad: )

Dangerfield types are obvious but what bout younger players that are not getting a game cause they are in a strong team (eg. Geelong) or the position they play is held by proven players (eg. forwards at Hawks)

I reckon Veszpremi might be a good target, also Zac Clarke from Freo

Morton, Tambling, Thursfield, Edwards, White, King, Polo, Hislop, Thomson, Polak, Tuck, Nahas, McMahon, Rance

Should all be dangled as trade bait. Those that can be used in 2011 will have their trade evaluated against their picks and keep if it makes more sense (much like Tuck this year). Those surplus can be delisted.

i would be asking about sidebottom zespremi dangerfield and it wouldn't hurt to ask about mcevoy

i would look at trading morton polo nahas and thursfield

Baloo said:
Morton, Tambling, Thursfield, Edwards, White, King, Polo, Hislop, Thomson, Polak, Tuck, Nahas, McMahon, Rance

Should all be dangled as trade bait. Those that can be used in 2011 will have their trade evaluated against their picks and keep if it makes more sense (much like Tuck this year). Those surplus can be delisted.

Of those you list baloo, surely only Tambling, Edwards, Thursty, Polo and Moreton only just would attract any attention. Gets back to my point about differentiating between TRADES and DELISTINGS. Surely you can see that Hislop, Thompson, Polak, McMahon would only attract interest from the bush? White, King, Tuck, Nahas and Rance MIGHT get a new AFL home in a trade where we receive an underacheiving player from another club like the Shultz for Farmer deal, but your just not gonna get a good pick or player for a fringe player from a wooden spoon side, UNLESS Danny Frawley resurrects his AFL coaching career.

BTW, given his age and recent promise when surrounded by smart young midfielders, you would be pretty silly to trade Edwards IMO

Brisbane took Raines and Port took Schulz last year in trades. Neither were regular 1st team players for us. It's hard to tell which of our players other teams fancy (Raines & Schulz) and which they don't rate (Tuck)

tigergollywog said:
BTW, given his age and recent promise when surrounded by smart young midfielders, you would be pretty silly to trade Edwards IMO

You have to be prepared to give something up to get a good pick/player in return.