What sort of player do we go for at Pick 12 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

What sort of player do we go for at Pick 12

mrposhman said:
Do we reckon we will take him if still available at Pick 52? Would he be good value for that Pick?

Think his kicking is a little off.
But certainly work a go I reckon

tiges said:
we need a goal kicker drumming forward type, if can't get that go for inside mid strong type.
We usually do the (jungle) drumming pre-match, at least home games. Besides, he'd have to be pretty good to play the drums every time before he goals. Even Cyril probably couldn't do that.

best available absolutely
Fill for position late and in the psd rookies drafts
Do like curnow though no need to gamble with Rioli now we yaz

Yes there still seems to be a few posters keen on selecting more SFs because it's a long-perceived weakness.
But we have Lloyd, Lambert plus drafted Short, Butler and Castagna and now have Yarran. So should have options covered here.
Another young, tall (over 200cm) ruck maybe, but we do have Soldo.
Probably another classy, strong-bodied mid would be handy.
Appreciate Bulluss' insight and knowledge. Can you keep filling us in on some of the prospects people nominate here - their attributes etc, and where you think they're liable to go. Obviously the top 10 talent will not be accessible to RFC.

leon said:
Yes there still seems to be a few posters keen on selecting more SFs because it's a long-perceived weakness.
But we have Lloyd, Lambert plus drafted Short, Butler and Castagna and now have Yarran. So should have options covered here.
Another young, tall (over 200cm) ruck maybe, but we do have Soldo.
Probably another classy, strong-bodied mid would be handy.
Appreciate Bulluss' insight and knowledge. Can you keep filling us in on some of the prospects people nominate here - their attributes etc, and where you think they're liable to go. Obviously the top 10 talent will not be accessible to RFC.

Dont forget Lennon , Lids, McBean, Dusty and Shed who can play the small forward role as well.

antman said:
Dont forget Lennon , Lids, McBean, Dusty and Shed who can play the small forward role as well.

While I understand your viewpoint, I consider that all of those excepting Shed are medium forwards.
Fundamental difference is that we expect a SMALL forward to produce goals from very limited chances ie Rioli, Betts, Le Cras.
All they need is a sniff of the ball a few times during a game and they can get five goals.

We really have two of the best MEDIUM forwards in the game in Lids and Dusty.
The ability to go deep forward one-on-one and beat their opponent regularly.
You can't really drop a second back onto them as it totally unsettles your balance of key defenders or rebounding defenders.

bullus_hit said:
Last year's draft was one of the best on memory, it was deeper than usual as typified by McKenzie going late and had plenty of quality talent available in the rookie draft. This year it gets really hard after pick 30, there's a few blue collar guys who might drift out like O'Kearney but when you consider Dean Gore was picked up in the fifties last year, you realise just how shallow this draft is. A guy like Dunkley would have been a third rounder last year, this year he probably goes mid twenties. Menadue would be a top 20 pick this year, the selection of Jed Anderson for pick 15 just highlights the shallowness of this year's crop. My top 3 are Weitering, Schache & Parish, from here there's a significant drop-off, removing the academy guys and we are even starting to get into the realms of speculation. Charlie Curnow could be anything but then again, he could be a flop, some are suggesting he may even go in the top 5. Even a guy like Mathieson could go in the top 10, that's despite a really poor beep test and average sprint results, these types were being picked off in the second and third rounds last year.

From Richmond's perspective I really like Wayne Milera and feel he's a big piece of the puzzle, unfortunately Carlton's stockpiling of picks makes him a pipe dream, particularly now that they have traded their last remaining goal kicker. I'm not as sold on Ah Chee as others although I would much prefer him over Rioli. Assessing the situation now that the draft order is settled, I'd be inclined to pick up Oliver who I think will be available at our selection. He ran a 2.99 sec 20m and finished third in the agility test. He ticks a lot of boxes - goal kicking, overhead marking, tackling and a bit of white line fever which we could do with in September. There's a little bit of speculation given he missed the u/18 carnival but I also think this means he's somewhat undervalued. His form in the last two months of the TAC Cup was brilliant and he was clearly hampered by a lack of preseason at the start of the season.

did he play for the western jets? lol
given you follow TAC etc i got a couple of questions around what we should do in the Draft this year
#12 best available Mid/tall/small fwd?
how about pick 52 & beyond?
i am assuming we may upgrade more than 1 player given we got pick 120 so aside from Lambert, Castagna?
also, are there any Rucks worth looking at with a late pick?

RedanTiger said:
While I understand your viewpoint, I consider that all of those excepting Shed are medium forwards.
Fundamental difference is that we expect a SMALL forward to produce goals from very limited chances ie Rioli, Betts, Le Cras.
All they need is a sniff of the ball a few times during a game and they can get five goals.

We really have two of the best MEDIUM forwards in the game in Lids and Dusty.
The ability to go deep forward one-on-one and beat their opponent regularly.
You can't really drop a second back onto them as it totally unsettles your balance of key defenders or rebounding defenders.

that is how Lloyd plays. he doesnt have the speed of the good FPs, but he is an opportunist.
i reckon Lids fills both roles. he leads up and marks but also kicks roving goals.

Jonesracing82 said:
i am assuming we may upgrade more than 1 player given we got pick 120 so aside from Lambert, Castagna?

Seriously??? there is no way he will be upgraded onto the senior list.

blx said:
Seriously??? there is no way he will be upgraded onto the senior list.

He was upgraded earlier in the year so it's not unlikely.

Jonesracing82 said:
did he play for the western jets? lol
given you follow TAC etc i got a couple of questions around what we should do in the Draft this year
#12 best available Mid/tall/small fwd?
how about pick 52 & beyond?

For pick 12 I like Milera, Oliver & Balic. Realistically I think only Oliver will be available but I'm ok with that scenario as we desperately need a big bodied mid. Milera is the best small/medium forward followed by Ah Chee, listening to DR it would seem we could be in the market for either of those two.

As for pick 52, I'm really struggling to find much value, maybe a guy like Kieran Lovell slides out due to being 174cm. Will have to do some more research on this pick.

RedanTiger said:

Steve Morris.

Already gets the ball a few times a game, just needs to get the goals now. 50% there.

But yes Redan I get what you mean now. All the guys I mentioned can play short or tall really