Welcome Tyler Sonsie | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome Tyler Sonsie

He is a gun and a very unrichmond like type. That is a good thing in this stand / 6-6-6 game we play now.

Pure class and just wait till he builds out and gets a better tank. Will get more involved.

Reactions: 2 users
Sonsie is the main reason why I think Cotchin plays one more season. His development will be twofold with Cotchin by his side as it is Cotchin's role that Sonsie needs to make his own. Managing his minutes (as well as Cotch's) and learning from our former captain on the job will be crucial for him.

This kid has a footy brain and makes good decisions. Someone that Cotch can teach given they have a lot of junior similarities.

Reactions: 11 users
I said before he debuted, he seemed like one of those guys that once he gets his chance in the AFL is hard to dislodge.

Hows that for a 3rd game!! His hands in close are elite, has elite foot skills. This kid will be some player.

Reactions: 1 users
so happy , but nervous
we have clearly got a player with great potential
but I looked him when he got that free late in the game , that shook him to his core
and his 3 games todate will put him on the radar of oppo clubs

we are full on into a finals race , sides are going to test him out
fingers crossed he survives

Reactions: 1 user
He has a lot of class this kid. I also reckon he's one of those players who will develop a lot better and faster by playing in the AFL side as opposed to the VFL side. I think we should just leave him in and let him rip. Obviously still needs to work on the defensive aspects of his game but there are no glaring deficiencies; only what you'd expect of a kid in his first season.

He has quick hands and uses the ball well by foot. Seems to have a bit more time as well; the sign of a class player. He looks like he belongs.
Agree with your point about his development and would like to see young Brown now given the same opportunity. Both Cumberland and Sonsie will play until the end of our season and Brown is similarly talented.

so happy , but nervous
we have clearly got a player with great potential
but I looked him when he got that free late in the game , that shook him to his core
and his 3 games todate will put him on the radar of oppo clubs

we are full on into a finals race , sides are going to test him out
fingers crossed he survives
The problem with that is that he may miss next week with concussion protocols. Wasn't able to front up at the Maurice Rioli Club after the game due to the head knock. Here's hoping he is OK.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 3 users
Along with great foot skills, he looks to have great peripheral vision. The Sonz is going to give us a lot of joy for the next 10+ years.

The problem with that is that he may miss next week with concussion protocols. Wasn't able to front up at the Maurice Rioli Club after the game due to the head knock. Here's hoping he is OK.
Hopefully he'll be ok, I thought it was more in the throat region.

Another draft slider to add to our list who should have gone much higher. Sonsie, Bolton, Balta and now can throw in Cumberland.

Another draft slider to add to our list who should have gone much higher. Sonsie, Bolton, Balta and now can throw in Cumberland.
In the end, it doesn’t matter where you find them in the draft just as long as you DO find them.

Also credit to our player development.

Reactions: 4 users
Looks classy, positive signs

6 goals down in the 1st quarter and it's Sonsie/Cumberland who gave us a spark

As a first year player, I haven't seen him do anything impressive without the ball though, such as throwing his body at a critical contest like Cotchin does routinely

I expect he will in the future, but I'll reserve my praise until I see signs he's capable of winning critical contests in a Grand Final one day

Absolute non-negotiable for his position - but plenty of time to develop it and already looks like an A-grader with the ball.

Last edited:
The absolute reckless, fearless, uncompromised attack on the footy of Trent Cotchin is rare. Very rare. Tyler Sonsie is no Trent Cotchin and shouldn't be expected to be. Yes, he can and needs to improve his ferocity at the contest, but don't expect Chimp Mk II. We might have to wait for Parker for that - he's only 15 years away.

Reactions: 14 users
The absolute reckless, fearless, uncompromised attack on the footy of Trent Cotchin is rare. Very rare. Tyler Sonsie is no Trent Cotchin and shouldn't be expected to be. Yes, he can and needs to improve his ferocity at the contest, but don't expect Chimp Mk II. We might have to wait for Parker for that - he's only 15 years away.
Correct.
Cotchin has his own category for courage and toughness and no one should be expected to match it.
One can only learn and be inspired from it

Reactions: 5 users
An absolute pure mid.

Draft a mid, you get a mid,

Star in the making.
Remember that term some used on here in past years: A dud is a dud is a dud is a dud?

Well, for Sonz we can say: A mid is a mid is a mid is a mid.

The most brilliant piece of play is when he picked Neale's side step. I nearly spilt my coffee. The kid is wired differently.

Reactions: 7 users
He's shown as fully at home at the level.

All about pre-seasons, fitness and strength for this lad now.

Reactions: 7 users
Can he get a rising star nom before the year ends - that would be 3 tiger players, not sure when that would have Happened before if at all?

Can he get a rising star nom before the year ends - that would be 3 tiger players, not sure when that would have Happened before if at all?
2019 - Stack, Baker and Bolton. Those were also our last nominations before this year.

Reactions: 3 users